MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, December 26, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 43.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

2010-2011 Badger Men's Basketball Season Started Saturday

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

2010-2011 Badger Men's Basketball Season Started Saturday

Postby acereraser » Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:54 pm

I will try to keep it rational, but once again, I am excited about the developing season. Duje Dukan looks really good, if a little skinny. He fired an eye-opening pass inside, as well as nailing a half-court shot at the end of the game. His feet are so big, it looks like he is not done growing quite yet. There will be a lot of competition for minutes among the big players this year, so I'd guess we don't see so much of him once the games count.

I think Rob Wilson was injured, as he didn't play at all, but he was slotted to take over the 2 position. It looks as if he will have to share some time with Josh Gasser, who appeared poised to take over Bohannon's passing and defensive roles (maybe even his picture in the yearbook), even if he isn't as able of a shooter. Ben Brust is as quick as everyone says, but he doesn't seem to have made the transition to college ball as completely as Gasser.

Evan Anderson looks a lot like Butch (including the #), but will likely redshirt, mostly because of the crowd at his possible posistions.

Leuer, Nankivil, Evans, and even Berggren looked as good as last year, probably better, but it is hard to gauge how much effort they were putting into this game.

And, oh yeah, have you seen the new look Mike Bruesewitz yet:

His hair was actually curlier at the game, big, loose, and bouncy. I think he is attempting a Larry Bird-quality wispy mustache too, but it was hard to tell, this early in the season. There are Bruiser wigs for sale in Bucky's Locker Room, and there is already a Bruiser-cam (like the Kiss-cam and Dance-cam) which super-imposes the hair on shots of people in the stands. This is the face of the Badgers.

Image Image Image Image
acereraser
Forum God/Goddess

Re: 2010-2011 Badger Men's Basketball Season Started Saturda

Postby Marvell » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:09 pm

Haven't had a chance to see the 2010-2011 Badger's live yet, but based on news reports / box scores, I notice a few things:

1.) Bucky is currently #25 in the polls. Finally - Bo gets some love!

2.) Jon Leuer is already starting to make a case for All Big-10, if not player of the year honors.

3.) While the starting five may not be quite as strong as last year, there's no doubt that the bench will be much stronger. Gasser looks like he'll be able to contribute, possibly even star as a freshman, and the continuing development of Bruesewitz means that the lamentable Tim Jarmusz shouldn't get even a whiff of a starting spot. This is a good thing. Add Ryan Evans and Rob Wilson off the bench and Bucky is looking like a legitimate conference title contender, even in an up year for the Big 10.

All the Bo haters out there are hereby invited to tell me why I'm on crack.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby keelio » Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:21 pm

Also in the same boat of not actually seeing the team - just hearing radio coverage & reading box scores. I think Tuesday's starting five has some promise, especially if Gasser continues to build on strong outings. Jarmusz actually made a decent contribution off the bench, while logging a chunk of minutes. Leuer can have a monster year if he stays healthy (knocking on wood at every opportunity). Given the depth of the team and some effective performances from unexpected places, Ryan might have the luxury/challenge of running 10-deep (Leuer, Taylor, Nankivil, Bruesewitz, Gasser, Evans, Smith, Jarmusz, Berggren, & Wilson), with several others deserving minutes as well. Hard to judge given the competition to date, but if their mental toughness matches their physical abilities through the course of the season, this could be a very special team.
keelio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:25 pm

Yeah, I really shouldn't have harshed so hardly on Jarmusz; as role-players go he's definitely a step up from the Dave Burkemper days.

But that's kind of my point - if you're starting a Tim Jarmusz, it's not really so much a knock on Tim Jarmusz (the man is who he is) as it is a reflection on the over-all talent level of your club.

Tim Jarmusz off the bench is fine. Tim Jarmusz in your starting five is a problem.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby BrianV66 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:41 pm

All the Bo haters out there are hereby invited to tell me why I'm on crack

I think that by now, even the haters know that while the Badgers may never get farther than the 3rd round of the playoffs, Coach R. is among the best in the nation at getting the most out of his players.

Haven't seen a game, or really studied the box scores, but my guess is that they'll compete for a spot in the top 3 of the Big Ten, as they have pretty much every one of Bo's years as the coach.

If the Sweater Crowd wants better than that, then they need to do a reality check. It's not going to happen here, Wisconsin (the state) just doesn't have the basketball talent.

As far as playing 10 deep, didn't he win at least one of his championships at UW-P with 10 players pretty much getting equal playing time? I have no concrete knowledge, maybe it's an urban legend...
BrianV66

Postby acereraser » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:56 pm

It would have been nice if the Badgers could finished the game with more points than Notre Dame. Most of the game doesn't really count.
acereraser
Forum God/Goddess

Postby acereraser » Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:21 pm

Is there a better point guard in the Big Ten than Jordan Taylor? Lucas just isn't the same after his injury last year, and McCamey is too selfish.

Also, Berggren has made a leap of sorts.
acereraser
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Robdzatu » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:11 pm

Robdzatu
Forum Addict

Postby acereraser » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:43 pm

ESPN.com's four word headline is "Wisconsin demolishes shambolic Michigan St." Nice.

Really, State didn't play that horribly. The game didn't look like a complete train wreck, just the score. State contested most shots at least half-heartedly, and there were only a couple instances of the Badgers finding themselves wide-open due to the Spartans failing a defensive responsibility. It does appear that they are completely demoralized, however. Izzo could have been described as taciturn, in comparison to previous visits.

It is unfortunate that the memory of Jordan Taylor's superlative performance will likely be pushed aside in favor of those of Izzo's decline. Plus, as a team, the Badgers made 25 of 26 foul shots, and 11 of 17 three point attempts. Just do that every game, fellas.
acereraser
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:10 pm

I've got a serious question about Wisconsin basketball that might sound rhetorical, but I assure you it's not. Wisconsin was picked to have a down year and middle-of-the-pack in a strong Big Ten this year. If they manage to knock off the undefeated Buckeyes next saturday (assuming they beat Iowa), they could potentially be top ten next week. So here's the question...

With two players listed as top five at their positions in the country (Leuer and Taylor), does Bo Ryan create superstars or does he just see talent that other scouts are missing? It doesn't seem to matter what group of players Ryan is working with, he always seems to get the most out of them and suddenly we find two and three star prospects looking like fives. Is that because he's outcoaching other teams or simply finding decent recruits with superstar potential?

What's the secret to Wisconsin's success? Even Duke and North Carolina seem to have down years, but Ryan's teams consistently perform.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:28 am

pjbogart wrote:
What's the secret to Wisconsin's success? Even Duke and North Carolina seem to have down years, but Ryan's teams consistently perform.

It's the coaching. Think of all the recruits who chose not to play here, like Wesley Matthews, Vander Blue, and so on. I do not believe that anyone else would be so consistently good, year after year, with these players. I think he has a shrewd eye for the type of player that will fit into his program, then he coaches them up.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Crockett » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:22 pm

gargantua wrote:
pjbogart wrote:

It's the coaching. Think of all the recruits who chose not to play here, like Wesley Matthews, Vander Blue, and so on. I do not believe that anyone else would be so consistently good, year after year, with these players. I think he has a shrewd eye for the type of player that will fit into his program, then he coaches them up.

Consistent but consistently not national champs. Do you want consistency or boom and bust? Depends on your perspective I guess.
Crockett
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:03 pm

I think it's a little of both.

I do think that Bo has a particular player 'profile' in mind, and those are the kind of players he recruits. While raw athletic ability is obviously part of the equation, I suspect intelligence and 'coachability' are equally if not more important. That having been said, did Bo somehow know that John Leuer would sprout like a weed his senior year in HS? Probably not; that was just freak luck.

The consistency is, in my opinion, an outgrowth of the fact that Bo never just plays for the current season; he's constantly teaching and developing his next year's team this year. That's the explanation for his sometimes (let's be charitable and say) odd in-game personnel moves. I don't know how many times I've been watching a game and thought, 'Really? You're going to put Rob Wilson in now?!!

The only way it makes sense is if Bo is trying to get the Rob Wilsons of the world a little game-time experience for next year. And if it means the odd 3 or 4 point loss because Rob pulled a Wilson, well - it's all grist for the hardwood mill.

Pain is a great teacher. Take it from me - when I got burned, I learned.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby acereraser » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:53 pm

pjbogart wrote:

To avoid sounding like such a homer, I will start with what I think is Bo's biggest weakness, which is actual game coaching. Like Marvell said, I think Bo does some things in the game which don't quite make sense if you are doing everything possible to win that game. However, Bo's strengths are recruiting players that will sign on to his system, and then getting those players prepared to play the finest basketball they can. Sometimes it appears he forces the players to figure out the tough spots themselves (for good or bad), so that the next time they find themselves in that tough spot, they have learned better how to respond. This game prepares them for the next one, which leads them to peak at the end of the season, while also building confidence in themselves.

The television commentators have picked up on the fact this season that unlike most other coaches, Bo does not use a clipboard in the huddle. Makes sense to me, that is not the time you want to be instructing the players, they cannot react fast enough if they are trying to remember what Bo just said.
acereraser
Forum God/Goddess

Postby c02 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:28 am

acereraser wrote:Like Marvell said, I think Bo does some things in the game which don't quite make sense if you are doing everything possible to win that game.

acereraser wrote:Sometimes it appears he forces the players to figure out the tough spots themselves (for good or bad), so that the next time they find themselves in that tough spot, they have learned better how to respond.

You answered what doesn't make sense to you. I'll take what you said a bit further. Studies have shown that athletes learn best based on the notion that the game teaches the game. It's a bit simplistic but it's like the hot handled pan on the stove. Mom and dad told me over and over again it was hot but it didn't sink in until I grabbed it. Some coaches take risks. Other coaches take calculated risks. I'm of the opinion the latter are typically more successful.

To be sure, practice can be setup to mimic game situations but nothing compares to the actual game. Small things can be done to place pressure on a team or isolate an athlete. It still doesn't compare to paying fans, media, cameras, etc...What Ryan does is recruit players. He doesn't recruit kids to sit the bench, IMO. One can run the same horses on the floor and be successful all year long but is the program truly getting better from top to bottom? What happens if one of those kids goes down during the tournament? He takes the calculated risk to get the team ready, not just a few players. It's not easy stepping out of the box. It's even less easy when it's playoff time and one is forced out of it.

acereraser wrote:Makes sense to me, that is not the time you want to be instructing the players, they cannot react fast enough if they are trying to remember what Bo just said.

Agreed. It's called overload. Think of it like the classroom. Practice is the lecture, practice is the homework. Game time is the test. It's time for the athletes to show what they have learned with the main difference in analogy being they get a little more guidance. Every coach has their way of teaching so using a clipboard or not isn't indicative of good or bad. I can't speak for coach Ryan one way or the other but I do know some coaches love to hear themselves talk and the more they say, the more they can impress everyone with how much they know. That's overload and if they are lucky, 10% of it is actually retained.

I was not a big fan of Ryan when he was first hired. I have long since come around to really respect him and what he has done consistently with this program over the years.
c02
Forum Addict

Next

Return to Sports, Recreation & Biking