MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Saturday, September 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 63.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

The Haze American + Asian Bar-B-Que

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Re: The Haze American + Asian Bar-B-Que

Postby Kovalic » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:58 pm

The Haze seems t have changed much of its basic concept, some time recently. Just went there for lunch. Gone is the mix-n-match "choose a meat/choose an East or West BBQ style" menu. In its place is a more straightforward "this is what you get" kind of approach.

http://www.thehazebbq.com/

The bánh mì was tasty, and seemed to be on a lighter, less crunchy bun, which better suited it. But options were now only pork and sausage. The pork char siu was tasty enough, but am I misremembering, or didn't that used to be more of a pork belly thing? Perhaps it was just a special, but I do remember having something more unctuous than that there, once.

Now it seems to be sliced tenderloin or somesuch: meatier, drier, but less challenging to folks not used to huge slabs of tasty fat on a bun. The change saddened me: I was looking forward to moister and tastier meat.

The vast array of side options are also gone: now it was fries, salad or slaw. I'll really miss those times cheese grits were an option.

A fried smelt sandwich is the riskiest thing on the new lunch menu.

The dinner menu, too, has abandoned the old approach, though many of the snacks listed seem interesting.

The sauce sampler at the back is also gone. Not sure if they bring that out for dinner. But just asking for a sauce produces a bottle at the table.

Overall: the menu seems far more conventional. Perhaps most folks found the old concept of choosing, mixing and matching for themselves too challenging...
Kovalic

Postby Ducatista » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:52 pm

Kovalic wrote:Perhaps most folks found the old concept of choosing, mixing and matching for themselves too challenging...

I didn't find it challenging, but it did seem a little gimmicky.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby billbailey » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:34 am

WTF happened? It seemed so promising. Great chefs, great local meats and produce, and, in my opinion, a really great concept. Not gimmicky, just a fusion of two opposite barbeque cuisines. Sorry, haven't eaten there since maybe October(completely underwhelmed) so maybe I'm not well enough informed, but I want good barbeque downtown and I thought maybe these guys were on the right track.
billbailey

Postby Slick Willy » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:25 am

billbailey wrote:WTF happened? It seemed so promising. Great chefs, great local meats and produce, and, in my opinion, a really great concept. Not gimmicky, just a fusion of two opposite barbeque cuisines. Sorry, haven't eaten there since maybe October(completely underwhelmed) so maybe I'm not well enough informed, but I want good barbeque downtown and I thought maybe these guys were on the right track.

Are you saying that it closed down?
Slick Willy
Forum Addict

Postby swoon_queen » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:33 am

I've been back to Haze probably about 5 times since my first post in this thread with experiences ranging from lackluster to gross. Just sayin'. Last time I went there, it was for lunch with my 9-year-old on a weekend and she was put off by the fact that they had some sort of violent animal show playing on the big screen-- no music or anything remotely welcoming, just a weird "animals hunting their prey in the wild" thing which was eerie to watch (and inescapable, as the big screen TV is the sole focal point of the space) as we attempted to chew stringy, dry meat.

Every time we have gone, it's been nearly empty. I think the long cavelike space is ripe for a cozy bar concept (a la Natt Spil) but unless it's a busy night, it's an oddly uncomfortable place to dine.
swoon_queen
Forum Addict

Elvis has left the building

Postby kulgar » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:08 pm

The Haze closed last Saturday, loss of another interesting restaurant on the Square (close enough).
kulgar
Forum Addict

Previous

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews