MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Tuesday, September 16, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 63.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Zombie Streetwalkers

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Re: Zombie Streetwalkers

Postby gargantua » Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:12 pm

Huckleby wrote:When the streets are slippery and narrowed, it is arrogant to walk in the streets and assume that cars will see and avoid you.

I have to disagree with you there, Huck. On those rare occasions when I am forced out into the street, I do NOT assume that drivers will see and avoid me. I assume the opposite. I don't walk around with headphones on, and I make a point of being aware of my surroundings.

That said, I agree that walking in the street should be avoided whenever possible. Unfortunately, it isn't always.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:23 am

The most menacing Zombies are the ones walking facing traffic. I know this is the recommended way to walk or jog on a roadside, but how much safety does it really buy you on snow-covered roads? Is the pedestrian really going to be able to dive into the snow bank before the car clips them? Is it advantagous to make final eye contact with your executioner?

These correct-way walkers seem emboldened, they often assert their full road rights by walking side by side.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:04 am

Ducatista wrote: Unshoveled sidewalks can be really treacherous, especially once the icy cowpaths form.
This is a little rich. Slippery roads with cars whizzing closely by are less treacherous than unshoveled sidewalks? Come on, people walk on the street because it is more convienent than putting on boots and dealing with the sidewalks.

I am all for freedom, never want to stop anybody from taking chances that are dangerous to themselves. The problem with the zombies is that they present a grave risk to the motorists. Here's my deal: people can walk anywhere on the street during snowstorms, but if they get hit by a car, the driver's name is kept out of the paper, and the estate of the deceased pays for a front-end alignment.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:55 am

Huckleby wrote:
Ducatista wrote: Unshoveled sidewalks can be really treacherous, especially once the icy cowpaths form.

This is a little rich.

Bullshit. I may talk out of my ass on most subjects, but not on this one. I'm a pedestrian ninja, as Blunt used to say, and I can tell you from thousands of miles of experience that unshoveled sidewalks can be as grueling as the Hillary freaking Step. It's no joke when walking is your sole means of transportation.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:06 pm

I live in terror of icy sidewalks. I am often on crutches due to a chronic leg problem, and am one bad fall away from the glue factory. I was laughing at the relative risks, the roads are both slippery and shared with hard moving objects.

As I said before, I can imagine there are some circumstances where one must take the road less travelled.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:25 pm

I wonder if we're even talking about the same thing. I'm talking about walking on quiet, residential streets, not like, you know, University Ave.

After this last big storm, the snow on some sidewalks was almost waist-deep. You just can't walk through that stuff. So I and others I saw would exit the sidewalk via someone's driveway, walk in the street until a cleared sidewalk became available again, and go on our way.

OTOH, I see a fair amount of joggers hit the street and stay there, no matter what the weather conditions are.

Oh yeah....some neighborhoods don't even have sidewalks. My parents live in one. Everybody walks in the street there.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:54 pm

Huckleby wrote:I live in terror of icy sidewalks. I am often on crutches due to a chronic leg problem, and am one bad fall away from the glue factory.

Ugh, I often think about that when conditions are bad. What if I were on crutches? Or in a wheelchair? More than once I've had to give someone a push through an intersection—and that's around the Square, where the curbs are pretty well groomed. On surrounding blocks there are intersections a chair couldn't navigate with any amount of pushing.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bmasel » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:06 am

Huckleby wrote: Slippery roads with cars whizzing closely by are less treacherous than unshoveled sidewalks?

How about you stop wizzing while you drive? Pull over and make some yellow snow.
bmasel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madsci » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:26 pm

Way to piss all over a tread, in the good kind of way.
Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kimberlygt76 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:21 pm

Ola, I'm kimberly Getti Most recently from Kansas, originally from Kansas City and have lived there most of my life.

I have an awesome family,I love all four seasons , specially the summer and the heat.

Technology has been a part of my life for the last 5 years and most recently primarily on the World Wide Web.

I love the Internet.
With the economy as tough as it is right now, more and more people are seeking help from people who have walked the walk and can teach others how to benefit from their experience. Just ask if you need to know something from me.

I am a consultant in the field of Science and Engineering project management software.

check out my favorite websites ,when you want waste management and need a dumpster rental detroit
south florida pest control west palm beach wellington boca raton pest control

Learning about new things is one of my passions.

when possible I volunteer for for valid causes that help the elderly.

I am to be a part of this site and hope I can help.
kimberlygt76

Previous

Return to Town Vibe