MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Thursday, September 18, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 47.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Green Bay Packers support work unions

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

Green Bay Packers support work unions

Postby Beaver » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:33 pm

It's nice to see some of the Packers step and show support for workers.

Wisconsin State AFL-CIO: Statement by current and former members of the Super Bowl champion Green Bay Packers on Governor Walker's attacks on public workers
http://wispolitics.com/index.iml?Article=226877

"The right to negotiate wages and benefits is a fundamental underpinning of our middle class. When workers join together it serves as a check on corporate power and helps ALL workers by raising community standards. Wisconsin’s long standing tradition of allowing public sector workers to have a voice on the job has worked for the state since the 1930s. It has created greater consistency in the relationship between labor and management and a shared approach to public work.

These public workers are Wisconsin’s champions every single day and we urge the Governor and the State Legislature to not take away their rights."
Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Green Bay Packers support work unions

Postby Stebben84 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:36 pm

Makes me proud to be a Packer fan.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby hellogoodbye » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:53 pm

Bears fan and it makes me proud. Thank you former and current players for having the guts to put your names on the line.
hellogoodbye

Postby KidCapitol » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:57 pm

Nice to see some rich guys, whose only purpose is to throw a ball around, speaking out for those who are paid pennies compared to their salaries, who make much more of a difference.
KidCapitol
Forum Addict

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:47 am

KidCapitol wrote:Nice to see some rich guys, whose only purpose is to throw a ball around, speaking out for those who are paid pennies compared to their salaries, who make much more of a difference.

You are falling into Walker's trap, as he wants to divide and conquer. So what do you do for a living? Or are you just above this fray?
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bludgeon » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:02 pm

Re: Green Bay Packers support work unions...

Well, they are in a union - one that guarantees what a few other guys in the sports thread were decrying as their exorbitantly high wages. Love the team but just because they're a sports team doesn't mean they're not biased. I am sure they mean well but the players union is heading into negations itself on behalf a union that is the one thing about the league that makes me hold my nose.
Bludgeon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby magic moose » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:21 pm

Seems like a player scam until you think that maybe the folks who play the game and create the value. They should be getting a cut and not just padding owners' wallets who don't play.

Plus if you've seen Earl Campbell these days, you might wonder why he didn't get paid more. And Mike Ditka (a Republican no less!) wonders why we don't take care of the gladiators minimally after they've served the game. Collective bargaining rewards both the doers and the owners, and also helps the upstart at league minimum who blows out his knee, never to be heard from again.

Plus, 18 games! Are you frickin' kidding me?
magic moose
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:34 pm

Jacke, not Jackie

Reminds me of the wall art/poster hanging downstairs at the Crystal Corner: "Camp Randell"
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:22 pm

It's good the Packers signed this but it's only seven players. How many current and former GB players are there? 700 or more? I'd like to see more than seven names here.

The NFLPA gave a brief statement supporting the Wisc unions.

http://www.nflplayers.com/articles/Pres ... Wisconsin/

"The NFL Players Association will always support efforts protecting a worker’s right to join a union and collectively bargain. Today, the NFLPA stands in solidarity with its organized labor brothers and sisters in Wisconsin."
Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:34 pm

Charles Woodson has joined the list of Packer players supporting the work Unions.

Charles Woodson Sends Support to Wis. Workers
http://www.nflplayers.com/Articles/Comm ... -Families/

"Thousands of dedicated Wisconsin public workers provide vital services for Wisconsin citizens. They are the teachers, nurses and child care workers who take care of us and our families. These hard working people are under an unprecedented attack to take away their basic rights to have a voice and collectively bargain at work... I hope those leading the attack will sit down with Wisconsin's public workers and discuss the problems Wisconsin faces, so that together they can truly move Wisconsin forward."
Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:26 pm

Another former Packer against the budget bill. Remember Gilbert Brown from the 1996 super bowl team?

http://www.channel3000.com/politics/269 ... etail.html
Hoffa, Packer Great Brown To Join Wisconsin Rally
All Speaking Out Against Budget Repair Bill

"Teamsters President James Hoffa will join former Green Bay Packer Gilbert Brown for the 10th straight day of rallies at the state Capitol on Wednesday designed to stop a bill taking away public employees' collective bargaining rights."
Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Sports, Recreation & Biking