MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Wednesday, November 26, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 15.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

TDP community manifesto

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.

Re: TDP community manifesto

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:22 pm

Just wait till his biennial budget comes out.

This should also be interesting. I saw a letter from UW system president Riley that states his concerns about Walker cutting ties with UW-Madison:

http://www.thenorthwestern.com/article/ ... y=nav|head

Three UW leaders wrote to Walker on Tuesday saying it had "come to our attention" that Walker would propose removing the Madison university from the larger system as part of his budget proposal next week.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby acereraser » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:17 pm

Kenneth Burns wrote:I could revive my "What songs begin with 'and'?" thread.

Liz Phair, "Divorce Song"
Argent, "Hold Your Head Up"
Paul McCartney, "My Love"
Five Man Electrical Band, "Signs"

Okay, as you were.

You reminded me of my non-posted "What songs include the phrase 'laser beams'?" list.

Ozark Mountain Daredevils - "Chicken Train"
Phish - "Scent of A Mule"
Queen -"Killer Queen"
with honorable mention to Neil Young - "Sedan Delivery" for the word "lasers".
acereraser
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jammybastard » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:18 pm

Jason, no matter what you do it's too late.
You should have listened to me 10 years ago when I told you to make the site more social by allowing basic networking services like personal messaging like every other website on the 'net.
But nooooooo......

Instead you resisted change, made excuses, and lashed out at those of us who offered a difference of opinion.
You wanted to defend a boring, conservative site while the rest of the web evolved.
So most of us who wanted to communicate with each other left for someplace we could w/o restrictions.

Now you want to crowdsource your solution?
So 2005. Digg is dead, long live Reddit.

Honestly I'm amazed you've kept your job this long w/o any plan or vision to bring the site into the 21st century.
Good luck.
jammybastard
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:22 pm

jammybastard wrote:Digg is dead, long live Reddit.

Digg is awful and so is Reddit. They'll both be dead soon.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:17 am

What is this, chubby angry a-hole alumni week?
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:40 am

acereraser wrote:You reminded me of my non-posted "What songs include the phrase 'laser beams'?" list.

Queen -"Killer Queen"

That's just an exerpt, I'm sure. Because there's no way you'd miss Frankie Goes to Hollywood, "Relax."
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby acereraser » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:06 pm

Ducatista wrote:
acereraser wrote:You reminded me of my non-posted "What songs include the phrase 'laser beams'?" list.

Queen -"Killer Queen"

That's just an exerpt, I'm sure. Because there's no way you'd miss Frankie Goes to Hollywood, "Relax."

You are sweet to think I am so thorough, but this project is very scattered, with new discoveries being made almost always at the wrong time (like standing up in a crowded bar). Plus, I can't listen to that song correctly after Zoolander. Thanks for the tip, keep them coming.
acereraser
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mrak » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:08 pm

acereraser wrote:Thanks for the tip, keep them coming.

George Harrison, "Save the world" (album Somewhere in England)
mrak
Forum God/Goddess

Postby acereraser » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:51 pm

mrak wrote:
acereraser wrote:Thanks for the tip, keep them coming.

George Harrison, "Save the world" (album Somewhere in England)

Wow, I never would have gotten that one, I haven't delved that deeply into his solo catalog. Thanx.
acereraser
Forum God/Goddess

Postby christopher_robin » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:38 pm

Just poking around here, I don't see any of the old gang except for kurt_w and snoqueen, who seem to be keeping the conversation level above sea level, without much help from anyone else.

jjoyce is always good. Props for starting this thread. I think this thread itself is a great example of why the forum is decrepit, actually.

But what can you do? You can't save it alone. Charge a monthly fee and make people use their real names. That's about it.

Politics is sort of jumping, though hardly what I would expect at this time and place in history.

Music section is totally dead, which used to be lots of fun. What, no one likes music anymore? Weird.

Whole thread on Umami with almost nothing on the food. Hm. Some guy calling the owners Japs. Whoa.

Time for a reboot? Shut it down to the public. Make it invite-only. Hand pick your Noah's Ark of users. Try to get some of the charming, insightful, eloquent, funny users back by reaching out personally. This lot is mostly morose and obtuse.

For inspiration:

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=20197&start=15

Anyhow, good luck. I mean it! This board used to be awesome.
christopher_robin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby christopher_robin » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:43 pm

Also: wagstaff and supaunkown. And I think shick is here under some other handle. Those guys are helping. They are your friends and allies.
christopher_robin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:44 pm

christopher_robin wrote:Charge a monthly fee and make people use their real names. That's about it.

And completely kill the forum.

christopher_robin wrote:Time for a reboot? Shut it down to the public. Make it invite-only. Hand pick your Noah's Ark of users. Try to get some of the charming, insightful, eloquent, funny users back by reaching out personally.

Wow, you really seem full of yourself.

Oh jeez the good old days. It's a fucking forum. If you've got a bunch of friends you want to talk to, go to the bar together.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:00 pm

christopher_robin wrote:This board used to be awesome.

That reminds me of the people who move away from downtown and later wail "What happened to State St? It used to be so awesome!"

No, it was always the mixed bag it is now, with ups and downs, swells and lulls.

When you move from participant to dilettente, of course you miss the familiar landscape of your old faves. You want the highlights, the tourist version of your old neighborhood. Makes the poking around so much easier.

You want to gentrify TDPF back to the charming, insightful, eloquent, funny 'hood you remember? Great. Move back and start making things happen. I'm sure you have loads of charming friends you could bring along.

But suggesting somebody else turn it into a gated community for your enjoyment is tourist bullshit.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby christopher_robin » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:17 pm

Well, State Street was never really all that awesome, so you lost me there.

But consider this: why did jjoyce start this thread?

Also consider this: if you never left, maybe you lack the perspective of someone who did.

Finally, I'm dead serious about the gated community idea and I suggested it many years ago, before I left (and even that's been years).

When people know your real name and everyone is paying to be a part of the community, some very powerful dynamics snap into play. Responsibility. Owning your words. Privacy. Believe me, it works. But you have to start with a core group of smart, funny, empathetic people.

Here on TDPF most of the posts tend to be, well, like the one you just made. Sneering. Vicious. Ugly. Insular. Defensive. Closed to any way but gradually increasing entropy. Lazy. Without ideas. Negative, not positive.

And it's funny, that's not how I remember you. Is that who you want to be? Is that what you want this community to be like?
christopher_robin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby christopher_robin » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:35 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:Content
The lifeblood of any discussion board is the members and the content they provide. Any good discussion includes a wide range of opinions, takes, quips, POVs, I-remember-whens etc. I think the DPF is sorely lacking in this area. You really need to invite and embrace more moderate and conservative members. The current warm and cozy circle-jerk may reassure and calm current members, but it doesn’t really encourage interesting discussions or new members. Attacking and driving off new members and tedious calls for the banning of current members by the self appointed, and clearly insecure members of the “forum police” doesn’t help the situation either.

Without getting into the hilarious Jekyll/Hyde aspect here, this is pretty good advice.

Look at what Duca just did. "No, I don't want to hear your perspective! Unless you want to suffer with the rest of us day in and day out, you have no say in the matter!" It's really kind of a fucked-up dynamic.

The core issue is creating an inviting and friendly environment where, for example, I could post a suggestion IN A THREAD CALLING FOR SUGGESTIONS without getting mugged by some defensive lifer.

The other way to go, which is I guess where we are, to to have divisive battles over Blaska articles between anonymous hater-trolls and uptight liberals. I mean, that's one way to get page views but it isn't much of a community.
christopher_robin
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com