Thursday, July 24, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 74.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Random thoughts

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here

Re: Random thoughts

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:57 am

narcoleptish wrote:Concerning the Naked Girls Reading performance:

http://www.thedailypage.com/isthmus/art ... icle=32129

I can appreciate anything that gets people exposed to literature (no pun) but I'll bet dollars to donuts that there will be a handful of creepy guys there, drinking diet cokes and trying to sneak pictures with their phones. Is it worth it?

Yep. I liked this bit in the comment from "Babe Lincoln," whose obvious wit must have propelled her over the "real name" requirement on the Daily side:

The nudity itself is just an audience draw and not overly focused on. We're more concerned with giving the attendees a well rounded (hah) good time then just saying "We're naked so come stare at us."

And yet...and yet...
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby acereraser » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:10 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:
narcoleptish wrote:Concerning the Naked Girls Reading performance:

http://www.thedailypage.com/isthmus/art ... icle=32129

I can appreciate anything that gets people exposed to literature (no pun) but I'll bet dollars to donuts that there will be a handful of creepy guys there, drinking diet cokes and trying to sneak pictures with their phones. Is it worth it?

Yep. I liked this bit in the comment from "Babe Lincoln," whose obvious wit must have propelled her over the "real name" requirement on the Daily side:

The nudity itself is just an audience draw and not overly focused on. We're more concerned with giving the attendees a well rounded (hah) good time then just saying "We're naked so come stare at us."

And yet...and yet...

I read the article this morning and had similar thoughts. What a small target that is, the people who are so interested in literature that they are intrigued by new ways to use and enjoy literature, and so the idea of being read to by a naked woman is edgy and tempting, but not so tempting that they focus solely on the naked woman. Also, they cannot be literature purists, as they may be put off by the naked reading idea, or simply being read to in the first place.

To be honest, I find it easier to digest thought-provoking works by reading them at my own pace, going over heavier sentences more than once, carefully mouthing every word. But, alas, a Naked Woman Reading Room sounds fairly distracting, too. Maybe try the Naked Repulsive Member of Non-Attracted Gender Reading Room to help keep your nose in the book?
acereraser
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:42 am

acereraser wrote: Maybe try the Naked Repulsive Member of Non-Attracted Gender Reading Room to help keep your nose in the book?

Or the Guy on a Toilet Reading the Sports Page Reading Room.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:04 pm

narcoleptish wrote:Or the Guy on a Toilet Reading the Sports Page Reading Room.

Now that's something you want to read--and now envision, thanks--right before lunch.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:13 pm

You obviously eat lunch too early. Push it off to 1:30 or so and the mental vision of an overweight, middle-aged, hairshirted, sweaty packer fan sitting there with his pee-stained gray underwear around his ankles, shifting uncomfortably with a slight grimace on his face as he recites the previous night's scores.....will only be a distant memory. I promise.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madsci » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:41 pm

I hope the weather turns more spring-like soon. Maybe the forons will not be so snippy if they go outside and get some fresh air.
Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

Postby I_Am_Before_Names » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:09 am

Just got back from the Horse Latitudes last night. Sorry I missed all the cold weather.
I_Am_Before_Names

Postby chainsawcurtis » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:29 pm

The Charmin commercials feature bears...in the woods. I watched those commercials for over two years before I got it.
chainsawcurtis
Forum Addict

Postby Madsci » Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:23 pm

Have you ever noticed how chants can get stuck in ones head? I went to the rally on Thursday. "This is how democracy works" followed by drum beats has been playing over and over in my mind. Now I may have to go back.
Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:28 pm

Madsci wrote: "This is how democracy works" followed by drum beats has been playing over and over in my mind.

Ms Vilas said the same thing to me this morning, after attending yesterday's rally.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madsci » Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:15 pm

There is some variation, sometimes it's "This is how democracy happens". But always the drums.....
Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:06 pm

Call: "Show me what democracy looks like."

Response: "This is what democracy looks like."

It's always the same.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pattymcnutt » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:20 pm

My friends/co-workers and I have been at the capitol every day and "this is what democracy looks like" has now become somewhat of a catch phrase for everything.
For example, when looking at the piles of laundry, dishes, and junk mail that have accumulated while I've been spending every free minute (outside of work) on protest-related activities, I just shrugged and said "this is what democracy looks like."
Yesterday as a friend of mine came home exhausted, tossed her sign on the floor and collapsed on the couch, her husband asked if she was okay. Her response? "This is what democracy looks like."
pattymcnutt
Forum Addict

Postby TheBookPolice » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:55 pm

pattymcnutt wrote:Yesterday as a friend of mine came home exhausted, tossed her sign on the floor and collapsed on the couch, her husband asked if she was okay. Her response? "This is what democracy looks like."

Ain't that the fuckin' truth.

Thanks for your support.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pattymcnutt » Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:05 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:
pattymcnutt wrote:Yesterday as a friend of mine came home exhausted, tossed her sign on the floor and collapsed on the couch, her husband asked if she was okay. Her response? "This is what democracy looks like."

Ain't that the fuckin' truth.

Thanks for your support.

Actually, I thank everyone else for THEIR support. I'm a school social worker and a WEAC member, so I'm personally invested in all of this.
pattymcnutt
Forum Addict

PreviousNext

Return to Catch All