MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Saturday, August 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 75.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Random thoughts

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here

Re: Random thoughts

Postby TheBookPolice » Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:23 pm

pattymcnutt wrote:Actually, I thank everyone else for THEIR support. I'm a school social worker and a WEAC member, so I'm personally invested in all of this.

I'm a WEAC-represented librarian; high-five!
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madsci » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:04 am

TheBookPolice wrote:Call: "Show me what democracy looks like."

Response: "This is what democracy looks like."

It's always the same.

Now I can reboot my brain with the correct chant, thank you.

Be careful it's icy out there.
Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:34 pm

Ahh, it's so much quieter in here.

Just got to thinking today about the different kinds of backlash that Walker will be getting from here on out and I thought of kitchen workers, and how most of them are probably pro-labor, and I thought of how Walker probably doesn't make many of his own meals...

I wouldn't eat anywhere near that guy from now on.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:57 pm

I wonder why so few people are defending medicaid. Seems like those who are suffering the most, will get hit hardest.
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:12 pm

The people getting medicaid are those least able to travel to the capitol and march and protest. That's why they're an easy target for cuts.

And Walker ought to stock up on microwave TV dinners he heats in his own microwave, because I wouldn't want to see what the kitchen staff is doing to his food. Of course him going to Woodmans is out of the question -- he'll have to send one of the Fitzgeralds.

Sheesh, what a life the guy's created for himself. Can't eat in restaurants around the square without getting asked to leave, can't make a speech without hundreds of people chanting and banging on buckets, has to sneak in his own private budget-address audience through the steam tunnels...

How long until we have Governor Kleefisch?
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:30 am

snoqueen wrote:Walker ought to stock up on microwave TV dinners he heats in his own microwave, because I wouldn't want to see what the kitchen staff is doing to his food.

From the Gov's Twitter feed, last night, 8:34PM:

Had some chili w/Tonette as we watched @AmericanIdol.

This would be a couple hours after announcing at least 20k job cuts and millions of wasted dollars. Yet more comparisons to the legend of Nero.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madsci » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:32 pm

As I was walking back to the house after putting my neighbors animals in the barn for the night, I heard a lone goose. I stopped and looked scanning the sky. There it came flying northeast calling, calling. When up from the south came the familiar V formation. Together they flew north. Spring can't be too far away.
Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:01 pm

I was in Minneapolis recently and visited the Guthrie Theater. What a cool effing building. Now I really do like the Overture, but I have to admit I had the random thought as I stood in the yellow glass box overlooking the Mississippi, "I wish we had this building instead."

Snoqueen, you're a fellow fan of buildings. Thoughts on the Guthrie? (or would those be mine)
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:10 pm

I've never seen it (I'm waiting for that darn train). But from the pictures and reviews I've read, it's totally awesome. And when I get up to the cities next, it's the first place I'm going.

To be fair, they had a lot more dramatic site to offer, overlooking the Mississippi, than we had. And they didn't tie Jean Nouvel's hands the way we did Pelli's when we insisted on keeping the front of Yost's and the Capitol Theater tower. But all that aside, it's just plain more adventurous. Overture is a place for the arts, but from what I can tell the Guthrie takes it to another level where the architecture itself is one of the arts you can go see.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:34 pm

Yeah, that is a SLightly better site. The cantilevered walkway/bridge to nowhere has an outside area on the end that is great. The yellow box I mentioned has floor-to-ceiling windows on all sides and the yellow glass gives the river and skyline a kind of sepia tone. Inside there are at least 2 or 3 places to eat/drink/lounge and a lot of people were taking advantage of that. Outside, the street scene was empty (it seems to be mostly residential there) but inside was very happening. Just seemed like a total gathering place for the area. Also had the longest escalator I've been on.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby acereraser » Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:12 pm

The only situation in which you don't look more ridiculous for wearing a Spiderman suit is when you are doing parkour at the top of State Street.
acereraser
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Mon May 02, 2011 8:43 am

The news story for the Chase bank accident Friday, which I missed by about 2 minutes, says that the driver simply "missed the turn" from Atwood onto Winnebago. Shooting across a big intersection, jumping a curb, covering another 30 feet of sidewalk, going up the steps and through a limestone pillar...isn't just missing a turn. I want to know what this person was doing. I'm guessing texting played into it.

And what's with all the stabbings in town recently? There were TWO at Mifflin st and it was reported as nonchalantly as a fistfight.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon May 02, 2011 9:39 am

narcoleptish wrote:The news story for the Chase bank accident Friday, which I missed by about 2 minutes, says that the driver simply "missed the turn" from Atwood onto Winnebago. Shooting across a big intersection, jumping a curb, covering another 30 feet of sidewalk, going up the steps and through a limestone pillar...isn't just missing a turn. I want to know what this person was doing. I'm guessing texting played into it.

Yeah, there's been more reporting since then.

http://www.channel3000.com/news/27724765/detail.html

A car slammed into a limestone pillar at the Chase Bank on the corner of Winnebago Street and Atwood Avenue on Friday afternoon.

Madison police said Saturday that a medical condition caused the 21-year-old male driver to lose consciousness and crash into the bank.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Mon May 02, 2011 9:41 am

That's the second time somebody hit the front of that bank. After the first time, they put up a row of bollards along the curb so it wouldn't happen again.

Atwood drivers are a determined bunch.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Mon May 02, 2011 9:49 am

Thanks Book. That was actually my initial thought when I came upon the accident but of course the cynic in me soon blamed the kids and their gadgets.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Catch All