MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Tuesday, September 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 48.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Oscars

Comment on the Isthmus movie reviews, write one yourself, discuss upcoming flicks, recent DVDs, and other realms in the world of cinema.

Oscars

Postby boston_jeff » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:51 pm

What do you think? I like Social Network for Best Picture, but many are saying The King's Speech has all the momentum. SN is by no means a perfect film, but it is a film of our time and was well directed/shot and well acted. Its topical, its smart, its a very good film. KS seems to be more of a tearjerker/costume drama. I have yet to see it, so I will reserve judgment, but many of the film critics are portraying the race as coming down to Academy voters voting with their hearts vs. brains. The perception is that hearts often win out in the short term.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Oscars

Postby AaronTheSnob » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:08 am

I wasn't nuts about Social Network...didn't hate it, but far from loved it. King's Speech was a much better and more involving film, I thought.

Colin Firth should win for Best Actor. Michelle Williams should win for Best Actress but will lose out to Natalie Portman (or maybe Annette Bening.)

In my opinion, the best film I saw all year was Blue Valentine.
Ryan Gosling should have been nominated for Best Actor, along with Michelle Williams. Should have also been nominated for Best Director, but wasn't.

Oh, well...
AaronTheSnob
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:22 am

Have to see KS before I can make a judgment. I can't see how any performance in the best actor category can be better than James Franco's in 127 Hours but like I said KS has all the momentum. Will have to wait and see how I feel after seeing it. I want to see Blue Valentine as well, both great young actors so I am looking forward to that.

Firth and Portman are stone cold lead pipe locks. Bale is likely as well. The BSA, BP and Director's races are more interesting at this point in the campaign.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bigredhunk » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:47 am

I too think "The Social Network" should get best picture. "The King's Speech" has a lot of momentum right now, including that piece that "60 Minutes" did tonight. The Weinsteins are putting on their notorious full-court press. It's not a best picture though. "127" was just a good movie though, not great. The academy loves Boyle. I don't think he should've been nominated. Ditto for the "Black Swan" love. I'm a huge Aranofsky fan, but this wasn't a special movie. I wasn't as crazy about "Inception" as others were (although I did like it), but who does Nolan have to fuck to get a nomination? He does some groundbreaking stuff.

Firth was great. He deserves to win and he will. Franco was outstanding. Wouldn't bother me if he won. Too bad about Gosling. He was tortured in "Blue." How brutal. I'm a big fan of his. He's always really good. He really stood out to me in a vanilla mainstream release years ago..."Murder By Numbers." Also outstanding in "Fracture," which never gets mentioned. They focus on his smaller flicks like "Half Nelson."

Jennifer Lawrence was great in "Winter's Bone." I love Annette Benning. She was really good. Wouldn't bother me if she won. Portman's performance wasn't as strong. Just saw "Blue Valentine." I'm a big fan of Michelle Williams. Glad she was nominated.

Christian Bale is nuts. He was so good in "The Fighter." He's going to hurt himself with all the weight fluctuation. He should win. How is this his first nomination??? No "American Psycho" or "The Mechanic?" Nice to see John Hawkes get some love too. He's one of those guys who gets a lot of roles and makes every movie he's in better. I'm a big Ruffalo fan. Can't believe he wasn't nominated for "You Can Count On Me." Renner was good as well. "The Town" was excellent.

I'd like Hailee Steinfeld or Melissa Leo to win Supporting.

I hope Sorkin wins for Adapted Screenplay. I hope Fincher wins director. I hope "Social" gets Score too.

"Inception" for Cinematography. "True Grit" was good too.

I'd like "Inside Job" to win best doc. "Gasland" was good too. It'll probably be the pretentious Banksy movie.
Bigredhunk
Forum Addict

Postby boston_jeff » Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:04 pm

Melissa Leo backlash:
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/blogs/ ... cars-96995

Politics and campaigning are really salient here.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Movies