MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Thursday, August 28, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 64.0° F  Partly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Reviewing the Dane? Really?

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Re: Reviewing the Dane? Really?

Postby Fat.The.Gangster » Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:57 pm

dave esmond wrote: If the fresh looks finds the same thing why expect a different review?

And given you can't find the old reviews online why not do it again?

Not defending the review itself as I haven't read it but I don't see a problem with revisiting places from time to time. Even if all you find is that it's still the same.

I appreciate your sentiment, but I never suggested that we should expect a different review from a similar set of circumstances. I questioned the need to publish this review, period. And I agree, I think it's fine to revisit and review an established restaurant from time to time, but only if it's trying something new, and not just expanding its operations.

jjoyce wrote: Food aside, it's one of the highest-profile, successful local businesses. It's worthy of attention.

How do you figure? It's already "high-profile," it's already "successful;" why devote resources publishing a piece the details of which everyone knows? As for what should have run its place, Kyle has already shown himself quite adept at reviewing interesting foods and food-movements in his "Fringe Food" pieces. That's a good place to start.
Fat.The.Gangster
Forum Addict

Postby dave esmond » Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:15 pm

Fat.The.Gangster wrote:As for what should have run its place, Kyle has already shown himself quite adept at reviewing interesting foods and food-movements in his "Fringe Food" pieces. That's a good place to start.

I'd agree with seeing more of that kind of thing from Kyle in print. Big fan of "Fringe Foods"
dave esmond
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:05 pm

Is this another one of Bookie's masterpieces?
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:17 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:Is this another one of Bookie's masterpieces?

Why do your care, outlander?
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby hmmmph » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:46 am

jjoyce wrote:Hmmm... there's a new Great Dane on the east side. I wonder if there's anything new, different or special about it? If only a local restaurant critic would dine there and let me know.

There's not going to be anything new, different or special about it because it's a chain. That's my entire point.

jjoyce wrote:If you think the review of the new east side Dane, occupying a spot where previous tenants have failed, is unnecessary, what should have run in its place?

Well, he could have run a review on one of the new restaurants that have opened in the area, like Osaka House on State Street, Sabor Amar which is Inka Heritage's new spin-off, Buck and Honey's in Sun Prairie.....
hmmmph

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:11 am

Restaurants must be open for at least four weeks before our reviews can begin. This is standard practice for publications following the Association of Food Journalists' guidelines.

Osaka House (re-)opened on January 23. Sabor Amar (re-)opened in the last week of January. Considering the above guidelines, publications including Isthmus should only now be turning a critical eye toward these establishments.

Falling back on "It's a chain" is intellectually lazy and not entirely accurate.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:19 am

Complaining about reviewing a new location of an established local business? Really? You guys have nothing else to bitch about?

My only wish for the review would have been to point out what I unhappily found out one recent evening-- this location does NOT have a late-night menu past 10 pm (grr...), but I don't imagine it would have been discovered unless Kyle had specifically asked management or shown up quite late.
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:41 pm

I liked the review AND the mustards.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Fat.The.Gangster » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:59 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:Falling back on "It's a chain" is intellectually lazy and not entirely accurate.

That's quite an indictment coming from a man who just wrote a color-by-numbers review of one of the most well-known restaurants in Madison. I don't think describing the contents of a menu is intellectually rigorous and insulting your readership certainly isn't meritorious.
Fat.The.Gangster
Forum Addict

Postby scratch » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:22 pm

supaunknown wrote:I liked the review AND the mustards.

I liked the review--and considered it valuable--and I don't even like the Great Dane all that much (owing more to the brews than the food).
scratch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby hmmmph » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:38 pm

Fat.The.Gangster wrote:
TheBookPolice wrote:Falling back on "It's a chain" is intellectually lazy and not entirely accurate.

That's quite an indictment coming from a man who just wrote a color-by-numbers review of one of the most well-known restaurants in Madison. I don't think describing the contents of a menu is intellectually rigorous and insulting your readership certainly isn't meritorious.

Precisely.

I'm curious as to why reviewing the 5th location of a local chain is different than reviewing the 5th location of a national chain in a city?
hmmmph

Postby supaunknown » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:08 pm

"Everybody's a critic."
-Andy Rooney's Eyebrows

Gag me with a spoon.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind75 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:47 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:The brunch menu is just that--it's not a buffet like at Hilldale and Fitchburg.

Eh, I'd rather have a breakfast buffet available. Strike one.

ilikebeans wrote:this location does NOT have a late-night menu past 10 pm (grr...)

LAME! Strike two!
MadMind75
Forum Addict

Previous

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews