MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Sunday, December 28, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 19.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

2010-2011 Badger Men's Basketball Season Started Saturday

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

Re: 2010-2011 Badger Men's Basketball Season Started Saturda

Postby pjbogart » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:08 pm

Well, there you have it. The Badgers started out the season unranked, unheralded and perhaps treated a bit dismissively by the experts. I suspect they'll be ranked #9 this week and the year that the Badgers might miss the tourney is officially pushed back a couple of years.

Gratz, Bucky. You make us all proud.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby acereraser » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:12 pm

It was like that game was scripted. Hold the No.1 team in the nation tight the first half, give up what looked like an insurmountable lead, then, somehow, get every basket you need, and win.
acereraser
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wallrock » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:58 pm

I had tickets for the game, basically in the last row of the third level. It was the most fun I've ever had at a basketball game.
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby acereraser » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:09 pm

Did you watch the game last night? Former Illini standout Stephen Bardo, doing color commentary, was running out of superlatives to describe Jordan Taylor, for good reason. Bardo was making a case early in the game for Taylor to win Big Ten Player of the Year, and Taylor backed up his argument with a career high 39 points. During the second half, after Taylor scored his seventeenth straight point for the Badgers, Bardo suggested, "Maybe Jordan Taylor should run for governor in Wisconsin!". Bardo then went on to pitch Taylor for NCAA Player of the Year.

If'n you didn't know, Jordan Taylor was rejected as a finalist for the Bob Cousy Award, the award for the nation's finest collegiate point guard. However, Illinois' Demetri McCamey made the cut.

I have much higher hopes for the Badgers in the NCAA tourney than in recent years, and Taylor is largely the reason for that. As Bardo described him, "He has the smile of an assassin", and the Badgers have been lacking that smiling assassin, until this year.
acereraser
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:24 pm

acereraser wrote:If'n you didn't know, Jordan Taylor was rejected as a finalist for the Bob Cousy Award, the award for the nation's finest collegiate point guard. However, Illinois' Demetri McCamey made the cut.

Very quietly, the idiots that choose the finalists later added Jordan to the list.

Last night's game was probably the best individual performance by a Badger I've ever seen, and you can make a strong case that Taylor is the best college player that Bo has coached.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby acereraser » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:32 pm

O.J. wrote:
acereraser wrote:If'n you didn't know, Jordan Taylor was rejected as a finalist for the Bob Cousy Award, the award for the nation's finest collegiate point guard. However, Illinois' Demetri McCamey made the cut.

Very quietly, the idiots that choose the finalists later added Jordan to the list.

Maybe they don't update their site, but according to them, he isn't a finalist. In fact, I just voted on their site, and Taylor was not an option.

I might be misunderstanding you, and you might be saying they added him late to the larger list. Which, of course, doesn't amount to jack if he doesn't make the final cut.
acereraser
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:36 pm

O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby acereraser » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:09 pm

Last Friday, I left a message with one of the Associate Athletic Directors, stating that Jordan Taylor was being left out. I don't know if that made a difference, however, I just checked, and they have updated the finalists page. The voting involves a secondary validation through email, be warned.
acereraser
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:26 pm

Too late, as the voting has ended.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby acereraser » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:32 pm

acereraser wrote:Last Friday, I left a message with one of the Associate Athletic Directors, stating that Jordan Taylor was being left out. I don't know if that made a difference, however, I just checked, and they have updated the finalists page. The voting involves a secondary validation through email, be warned.

Arghh! They updated the finalists page just as soon as they closed voting. Jimmer Fredette ran away with it. I vow not to care about the Cousy Award ever again, until next year.
acereraser
Forum God/Goddess

Postby acereraser » Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:33 pm

How 'bout them apples? Those are some tough goddamn Badgers. Taylor makes the most important play of the game after such a bad run. Bruesewitz doing everything with a peg leg. They earned their spot in the Sweet Sixteen.

Agonizing game though, my wife had to avert her gaze during free throw attempts at the end.
acereraser
Forum God/Goddess

Postby doppel » Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:46 pm

Bo's bloody blimey Badger boys bring back the bacon. Sweet apple wood sixteen, baby. Bring on Butler.
doppel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:09 pm

The Badgers have the easiest road to the Final Four now that Pitt is history. Of course, it's never easy, but the best team left in their region is Florida and Florida is VERY beatable. Ditto with BYU & Butler. Sure beats having to play Ohio State, Kentucky, UNC, Duke, or Kansas! If the 3's keep happening for Bucky, they'll be dancing into the Final Four.
david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:09 am

Many "in the know'" types are picking Butler.

I'm feeling confident.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:05 am

david cohen wrote:The Badgers have the easiest road to the Final Four now that Pitt is history.

Huh? Kansas has the easiest road. They play #12 Richmond and then #10 Fla St or #11 VCU. Should be a cake walk for a #1 seed. They are now my pick to win it all.

UW won't beat BYU or Florida.
Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Sports, Recreation & Biking