MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Monday, September 22, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 44.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Talk to me about schools in Madison...

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Talk to me about schools in Madison...

Postby madtown2006 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:05 pm

....specifically these:

Thoureau/Cherokee/West
Midvale/Hamilton/West
Crestwood/Jefferson/Memorial
Muir/Jefferson/Memorial

The first attendance area is where we currently live, but we are looking at houses in all four of these attendance areas. Any comments or experiences to share about any of these schools? How do they compare to each other, and to other schools in Madison? I'm sure there are pros and cons to all, and people have had both good and bad experiences...let me hear it.

I'm asking here because none of our friends or family have school aged children. My husband went to West but that was a loooong time ago! Our son is still an infant but since we are looking to move to our "forever" home, we would like to take into account the schools he will attend.

Thanks!
madtown2006

Re: Talk to me about schools in Madison...

Postby Nick Berigan » Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:46 pm

I don't have children. I'm in the general Crestwood neighborhood. The grade school gets raves from my neighbors who have children there. There's a very connected set of parents and a really nice physical environment. When I go to vote there, I make a point of walking through the halls and it always makes my day to see the calm educational environment. The neighborhood is similarly pleasant.

I don't know much about Jefferson.

My partner teaches Mandarin Chinese at Memorial. I have always been impressed in my interactions with her coworkers in the foreign language department that there is a very positive vibe toward making things work for the students. My sense is that the wider population of teachers at the school is similarly positive and always "on" for the kids.

Crestwood is also a great area in other terms, lots of features that are child friendly. Lots of parks and space. And since we've been in this house, I've noticed an upsurge of couples with kids in the parks.
Nick Berigan
Forum God/Goddess

Postby arcee » Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:22 am

Madison school could definitely look much better! More importantly, go to the school that you like the best based on whatever subjective criteria matter to you, and consider issues like money (scholarships, tuition, and so on), as well as difficulty moving to the school, and being away from family and friends.

Postby Igor » Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:52 pm

General thought about Madison schools - because they are quite large (for Wisconsin, anyway) they tend to be able to offer lots of opportunities. However, it is also pretty easy for shy kids (or those that need a kick in the rear to get going) to just blend in without being involved. At your child's age it is impossible to know if they will be a go-getter or not, but just something to be aware of.

I think a smaller school would have helped our one child. The other probably did better in a large school.
Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Town Vibe