MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Monday, November 24, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 40.0° F  Light Drizzle
Collapse Photo Bar

Walker rumor

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!

Walker rumor

Postby Coplay » Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:38 am

People keep telling me that Wanker was booed at a restaurant here in town. What is the truth about this?
Coplay

Re: Walker rumor

Postby HeyZeus » Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:58 am

HeyZeus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lolagirl » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:11 am

I'm guessing that the Esquire Club will end up being the only place Walker can eat in peace while in town.
lolagirl
Forum Addict

Postby workboy7 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:15 pm

While I'm personally enjoying the idea of the Gov being asked to leave a restaurant, I'm less happy with the service industry picking and choosing who gets served. One day the Governor, or the Senate leader, next day any republican, the next day......who knows. Wisconsin's republican leaders have been too quick to use any divisive tool to continue their attack on the state, and to a degree it works keeping on a message like that. I'd like to think Wisconsinites can keep their head above such scummy tactics, before it begins a real failure of values. If you had a restaurant, who wouldn't you serve, and would that be ok? Before anyone states the "right to refuse service", think how fair that was during the civil rights lunch counter demonstrations.
workboy7
Forum Addict

Postby rabble » Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:38 pm

workboy7 wrote:While I'm personally enjoying the idea of the Gov being asked to leave a restaurant, I'm less happy with the service industry picking and choosing who gets served. One day the Governor, or the Senate leader, next day any republican, the next day......who knows.

Was it the service industry or its customers who made the decision? I'm not being facetious, I think it makes a difference if the person is turned away because of the disturbance or because of politics.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:48 pm

As I said in another thread, unless he makes his own meals, Walker is going to be ingesting a lot of bad things in the next couple of years, no matter how this plays out. Even at The Esquire, I'm guessing the kitchen help leans toward pro-labor.

I seem to remember from bartending class years ago that "the right to refuse service" doesn't actually exist unless someone is causing a problem. Maybe I remember it wrong.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:21 pm

narcoleptish wrote:As I said in another thread, unless he makes his own meals, Walker is going to be ingesting a lot of bad things in the next couple of years, no matter how this plays out. Even at The Esquire, I'm guessing the kitchen help leans toward pro-labor.

You stay classy, labor.
Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:40 pm

Igor wrote:You stay classy, labor.

You paint with a mighty broad brush.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby workboy7 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:52 pm

Rabble, I'd like to think most restaurant employees are plate-spit-free. Even folks working for minimum wage have honest intentions.
While the desire is STRONGLY there, I doubt it would ever happen; anyone who would act so wrongly I'd guess is poorly managed at best. At worse...well, I've never, never seen actions like that in 20 plus years in kitchens, that I'm glad to say.
workboy7
Forum Addict

Postby workboy7 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:56 pm

Regarding the Esquire, as an occasional, 3 or 4 times a year visitor, that is at an end. I fully believe the owners views are strongly pro Walker....I'll spend my $300 + dollars else ware ....sorry staff.
workboy7
Forum Addict

Postby narcoleptish » Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:37 pm

workboy7 wrote: At worse...well, I've never, never seen actions like that in 20 plus years in kitchens, that I'm glad to say.

I admire your faith in mankind. Me, I'm just north of 99% sure it does happen and if not so blatant as spit, surely general uncaring and uncleanliness. That's why I never make special requests, never complain, never ever send anything back. Even if the chances are slim, why take a chance.

Igor wrote:
You stay classy, labor.

The disdain being shown by some deserves nothing better.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:20 pm

Anybody who thinks stuff doesn't happen in the back of a kitchen never worked in a restaurant.

Not saying this is good. It's just true.

Maybe if restaurant workers got paid $25 an hour, things would be different. That's never going to happen, of course.

I never send anything back either. Shut up, eat it if you can, and don't return.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lolagirl » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:40 am

You know, my first thought on reading this was that it's wrong to turn away a customer because you disagree with their choices. Then I remembered the bill that allows a pharmacist to turn away a customer who wants birth control pills or the morning after pill because they disagree with that choice. And I remembered how it was people like Walker and the Fitzgeralds - you know - good old fashioned family values conservative republicans - who were all in favor of making sure that working people were able to exercise their rights to express opinions while at work. So now I'm Okay - really, really Okay - with staff at every restaurant, bar, grocery store and business in town telling Walker to get lost.
lolagirl
Forum Addict

Postby Huckleby » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:17 pm

two wrongs don't make a right
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:35 pm

snoqueen wrote:Anybody who thinks stuff doesn't happen in the back of a kitchen never worked in a restaurant.

Not saying this is good. It's just true.

True dat.

Wise words from the movie Waiting:
"Don't fuck with people that handle your food."
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Cooking & Food issues