MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, October 2, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 64.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Hilldale Target, Bike Friendly

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

Hilldale Target, Bike Friendly

Postby WestSideYuppie » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:18 pm

I know that you never expected to see the words "Target" and "Bike Friendly" uttered in one breath, but here goes. The new Target at Hilldale appears to be reasonably accessible to bikes. In fact, I think that the entire Hilldale area is more bike- than car-friendly.

It doesn't mean that there are any shops in Hilldale worth going into, but I'm a poor judge of that because I'm such a skinflint.
WestSideYuppie
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Hilldale Target, Bike Friendly

Postby snoqueen » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:17 am

Thank your local Uniform Design Committee! They held extensive hearings on Target's plans (and Target, to their credit, was patient and cooperative). This didn't get a lot of media attention because Edgewater was happening at the same, time, but UDC worked hard to accommodate the many interests and requests that came up. The attention to detail was phenomenal, and those bike accommodations are one result.

All goes to show if we're attentive and proactive toward developments in our neighborhood and work with Madison's committee structure with regard to new development, it can and does work. Remember this next time you hear complaints about how it's too restrictive.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby roadkill bill » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:20 pm

snoqueen wrote:Thank your local Uniform Design Committee!

Um, it's Urban Design Commission.

Sno, you are so savvy about the city and city process, that when I started to read this, I thought maybe you were making a comment about how the UDC made everything "uniform," i.e. boring and with no creativity.

Kind of a funny faux pas, considering how much many neighbors that participated in the process, and were pretty pleased with the designs that were approved, now hate the finished product.

I was one of them. I was please with how cooperative the Target folks were, and was excited about a truly urban big box. Unfortunately, I think what we got was a standard Target on stilts. Yes, the parking is underneath, but other than that the design could have been transplanted from Anywhere, USA. Blah.
roadkill bill
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:05 pm

oops, major typo or weird word substitution (I do know better).

I won't correct it -- your posting does the job.

My own opinion on the new Target is it's not very attractive but it seems workable. People can get to it without snarling traffic, bikes can get to it, and at least they didn't pave a couple acres of land for another parking lot.

I don't know what we're going to do about the unending uglification in the Hilldale area. The surrounding residential area is so pretty, and Hilldale is such an eyesore. I hate the redesign with a passion -- the sooner we get over the idea fake-quaintness is a valid design genre, the better this whole city will be.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:13 pm

snoqueen wrote:I won't correct it -- your posting does the job.

Don't tell that to TBP. (Sorry for the aside.)
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:39 pm

snoqueen wrote:The surrounding residential area is so pretty, and Hilldale is such an eyesore.
This makes me wonder whether some kind of camouflage option might be best. As in the hidden aircraft plants during WWll. I like it. This could dampen light pollution, too.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:19 pm

Cover it with ivy?
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:55 pm

snoqueen wrote:Cover it with ivy?
That, and little faux gravel pathways dotted with tidy faux Cape-Cod houses. And maybe a paddock or two with free-grazing cows. The latter would probably have to be inflatable, I suppose, but would not be fixed. No, they would slowly wander to and fro, guided by an ingeniously devised rope-and-pulley system driven by union squirrels fed with surplus Sun Dance popcorn.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:43 pm

I've known Hilldale since it was built. I loved biking up to Owen and looking down. I don't like the new layout either but at least I can buy hardware, clothes and groceries in one place, without having to go to the outer limits.

I waited until I really needed something to shop at the Hilldale Target. I took the escalator up and wondered why there's no down escalator. I like that it's a much quicker bus trip for housewares and clothes. The eastern view, onto University is kinda nice too.
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby WestSideYuppie » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:19 pm

Bwis53 wrote:I've known Hilldale since it was built. I loved biking up to Owen and looking down. I don't like the new layout either but at least I can buy hardware, clothes and groceries in one place, without having to go to the outer limits.

I waited until I really needed something to shop at the Hilldale Target. I took the escalator up and wondered why there's no down escalator. I like that it's a much quicker bus trip for housewares and clothes. The eastern view, onto University is kinda nice too.

The only reason I can think for no down escalator is to keep people from trying it with loaded carts.
WestSideYuppie
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Average Joe » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:43 am

WestSideYuppie wrote:
Bwis53 wrote:I took the escalator up and wondered why there's no down escalator.

The only reason I can think for no down escalator is to keep people from trying it with loaded carts.

There is a down escalator and right next to it is the down cart escalator. It's set off a little from the up escalator to help facilitate smoother flow of people in and out of the store.
Average Joe
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:59 pm

You are correct. I discovered that, this afternoon, as I was going up. If you look past the carts, you see where the down escalator starts.

Now I know I'm dating myself, but I keep thinking of how often I used to shop at the old Gimbels (in Macy's spot) back in the day.
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Sports, Recreation & Biking