MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Wednesday, August 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 62.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

NPR reveals how ALEC works

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

NPR reveals how ALEC works

Postby snoqueen » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:22 pm

It's lobbying without registered lobbyists, basically. And free food. And free "scholarships."

For those wondering who writes some of the bills we see proposed by the Republicans:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... =130891396

No wonder the right hates NPR.

And just for fun, here's a link to ALEC itself, where you can see the numerous areas they're working on:

http://www.alec.org/AM/Template.cfm?Sec ... gislation1

Unfortunately, you can't see the actual legislation unless you're a member, but the sheer number of interest areas is staggering.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Re: NPR reveals how ALEC works

Postby jackisonian » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:34 am

Thanks for posting this.
jackisonian
Forum Addict

Postby Lily » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:48 am

A quote from SourceWatch (emphasis mine):

"ALEC is a front group for the legislative agenda of global corporations.

One of ALEC's primary funders are the trusts associated with the controversial Koch family, that includes David Koch, a billionaire and one of the leaders of one of the richest privately held corporations in the world, Koch Industries.

ALEC drafts bills that comport with the ideological and corporate agenda of the Kochs and its allied funders. These bills favor corporations and include proposals to weaken the rights of employees and the ability to secure a healthy environment, which it shares with state and local politicians. The National Resources Defense Council and Defenders of Wildlife have called ALEC "corrosive, secretive and highly influential" and a "tax-exempt screen for major U.S. corporations and trade associations that use it to influence legislative activities at the state level.

Read the SourceWatch blog entry here:
http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php?ti ... ge_Council
Lily
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Lily » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:56 am

Dr. William Cronon (UW-Madison History Professor)had an article published earlier this month in NY Times "shining a bright light" on what ALEC is about and how they have been influencing the most recent Wisconsin politics. ALEC=American Legislative Exchange Council. This is partly why he's come to the attention of the Wisconsin Republicans who have requested a copy of his University email going back several months.

Dr. Cronon's "Scholar as Citizen" blog:
http://scholarcitizen.williamcronon.net/
WATCH FOR THE NY TIMES EDITORIAL THAT WILL BE PUBLISHED MONDAY, MARCH 28TH

Added note:
In addition to Koch Industries as a major contributor to ALEC, so are Wackenhut Corrections, many pharmaceutical companies, telecommunications firms, Wal-Mart, C.G. Koch Charitable foundation, The Heritage Foundation, and more.

Source of above information: http://alecwatch.org/
Lily
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Lily » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:47 am

Pardon me for hogging the replies here but this is another excellent article on topic:

"Wisconsin's most dangerous professor"
http://tinyurl.com/4a34o96

An article showing why Republicans are demanding to see Dr. Cronon's email shortly after his NY Times opinion piece on current political influence in Wisconsin was published.
Lily
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:09 pm

http://www.alec.org/AM/pdf/hhs/State_Leg_Guide_to_Repealing_ObamaCare.pdf

Looky here -- somebody leaked out the ALEC guide to repealing the health care law (or else made up a really good fake).

Wonder how long that link will be good.

Thanks again, Twitter.

On page 20, the document says:
Reject ObamaCare discretionary grants that aid in the federal
takeover of state health insurance regulation.

Through its grantmaking, the Patient Protection and Affordable Care
Act conscripts states into enforcement arms of federal policy. ... It is unlikely that HHS will allow states that accept federal grants to ignore federal mandates.

We can see Walker already followed this directive by sending back a large grant intended to help extend health care in Wisconsin.

There's no model legislation in this pdf (readers are instead referred to existing state legislation for a look at what's already passed). It's a cover letter, basically, outlining the public form of the reasoning under which ALEC rejects the federal health care bill. Curiously missing from its reasoning is any consideration at all of the effect its perfect reasoning would have on real people. Also missing is discussion of its effect on large corporations, who are, of course, its intended beneficiaries. It's a sleek and slimy document, intended for those who prefer not to look too deeply at what's behind the screen.

Very creepy read.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:05 am

The lack of responses here reminds me of the seeming lack of interest that stories about Wall street scandal get. I'm not trying to be critical of people, I'm just making an observation. Excellent pieces like this get written and published that make clear the obvious conflicts of interest that go on constantly between politicians and big business, yet nothing really happens and it's forgotten quickly in favor of more interesting news such as celebrity gossip. The only reason Bernie Madoff was in the news and went to jail is because his celebrity clientele made for good headlines and people more powerful than him lost money.

Money runs everything and money is probably the main reason most people, me included, don't even consider devoting their time to trying to change it. Activism doesn't usually pay the bills.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:05 am

ALEC is back in the news:

Groups file lawsuit over lawmakers' emails

Two government watchdog groups have filed a lawsuit against five Republican lawmakers over access to their personal email accounts.

Common Cause and the Center for Media and Democracy filed the lawsuit Monday in Dane County Circuit Court.

It alleges the lawmakers violated Wisconsin's open records law by declining to say whether they searched their personal email accounts for contacts with the conservative group the American Legislative Exchange Council.

The lawsuit is against Reps. Tyler August, Dan Knodl, Tom Larson, Pat Strachota and Jeremy Thiesfeldt.

What are they trying to hide?
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby doppel » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:46 am

Henry, do you know if personal e-mails fall under the Wisconsin open records law? Should they? Does one give up all personal privacy upon election?
doppel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby juanton » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:55 am

Private email account access was obtained via warrant in the Milwaukee Exec County scandal. The prosecutors used those emails and the electronic door entrance data to build their case that Wink and the other criminal Rindfleisch were doing their deeds on county time.

I think you need a warrant.
juanton
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:08 am

doppel wrote:Henry, do you know if personal e-mails fall under the Wisconsin open records law? Should they? Does one give up all personal privacy upon election?
The lawsuit alleges that they are using personal accounts for State business. In my opinion all State business should fall under the open records law.
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:13 am

WTF, is this 1994? I heard the Newt suggest this demolition back then.

The other night I was a bit curious to hear MR drop it out there.
I suppose I should be suprised, but I am not.

Is anyone else paying attention to the long game?

MH

p.s. - I think I have just gotten too cryptic for myself. Even so I had some reason to plop this here. Something stinks, this much I am sure of. BTW - thank you SQ for keeping this in focus.
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:41 am

You're welcome, but you have indeed outdone yourself with the crypticity. I've got no idea what you were saying up there.

Something does stink, we can agree.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Lily » Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:58 am

Bill Moyers just did an excellent review of ALEC. See the show here:
http://billmoyers.com/episode/full-show ... s-of-alec/
Lily
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:51 pm

Lily wrote:Bill Moyers just did an excellent review of ALEC. See the show here:
http://billmoyers.com/episode/full-show ... s-of-alec/

BOOM! There you go! Old news no one seems to know about. The Moyer's piece is very nice but, unfortunately, falls short of unravelling this 40 plus year plague.
MH
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Local Politics & Government