MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, November 28, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 16.0° F  Light Snow
Collapse Photo Bar

Chicago-Style Dogs & Beef

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!

Chicago-Style Dogs & Beef

Postby workboy7 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:24 pm

A new outlet for a proven dog-related menu is being reborn on the Eastside, likely by the first of June. With seating for 200 plus, other menu ideas are sought after, especially the nacho, burger, and wing areas. While the usual foron responses and threadpouts are expected, any decent and realistic thoughts on those above listed topics in a fast-ish casual setting have a real chance of being on a local menu within weeks. Thanks ahead for honest menu ideas.....
workboy7
Forum Addict

Re: Chicago-Style Dogs & Beef

Postby Bwis53 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:01 am

Where?

Name of the place?
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:34 am

If you're gonna go Chicago style, get some good Italian beef, Italian sausage, and maybe some bombers. Make the dogs the staple, but give more options. Good bread also, preferably with poppy seeds.

One thing unrelated to the menu is the number of seats. 200? for a hot dog place. I dunno what the rent or upkeep is, but I find it hard to believe anywhere but downtown can get close to that many people for a hot dog place. Good luck, though.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby swoon_queen » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:51 am

Agree that narrowing the location/vibe of the place would help give menu input. Sounds like a sports bar to me...

regardless one of my ideas would be to pay homage to the Chicago dog by introducing a line [3-4?] of "Madison dogs" ...which would be brats, on sesame seed buns topped w. various combinations of tasty toppings. To vaguely emulate a piquant, Chi-dog flavor, maybe a cranberry or Door County cherry ketchup, some sort of locally sourced chow-chow, etc.

To pack a 200-seat light fare place you're going to need to have some innovative side options as well.

I'm afraid if I listed off any more great ideas for you (of which I have many) I'll either need some sort of consulting fee or at least a menu shoutout. :)
swoon_queen
Forum Addict

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:27 am

Musta gotten Poppa Coronofoulos' old spot for a song, workboy.

A few riffs on the Hot Doug's model wouldn't go unappreciated in Madison. Some haute dogs (and yes I know that name's in use elsewhere in the US of A) among the old-school?
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby workboy7 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:53 am

I appreciate the beef-sausage-dog ideas, but that part of the menu is set. Swoon, believe it or not, I couldn't sell a brat (and they were very good) to save my life at Dog Eat Dog. People don't buy them I guess..either way, how about nachos and wings? The apps section I have could use a little work to be more than just fried crap from a Sysco bag....Keep trying Book, as if Papa's could hold anywhere near 100 much less 200 plus....I'm keeping mum on the location until the lease is completed...later this week.
workboy7
Forum Addict

Postby Stomach » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:06 pm

I'm going to guess the old Damon's/Tilted Kilt spot. I think that building is vacant.

Its hard to find good wings in this town but whoever goes to BW3 and Hooters might not agree with me.

Nachos = good. Quesadillas = better.
Stomach
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:09 pm

I'm not much of a hot dog eater, but I gave the old Dog Eat Dog on King Street a lot of credit for the really good Italian beefs. Best I've eaten in Madison by far. I say this just a few weeks after a particularly disappointing beef run to Rosati's.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:15 pm

Stomach wrote:I'm going to guess the old Damon's/Tilted Kilt spot. I think that building is vacant.

Unless something has changed very recently, Babe's is currently in that spot.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby barney » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:22 pm

The Dog!! Oh how I loved that place!

Not sure it falls into the hot dog stand bailiwick, but it's hard to find a good portobello mushroom sandwich in this city, for some reason. Just a grilled giant mushroom on a nice bun, some pesto or balsamic, a tomato and lettuce, maybe a slice of provolone.
And it's a good veggie option (much better than those disgusting soy dogs....)

(I know the Harmony has one, but I haven't been feeling that place lately....I do wish Dexter's would add something like this, but I digress.)
barney
Forum God/Goddess

Postby QuantumWeaver » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:26 pm

Babes hasn't been in that spot for at least a couple of weeks now. It seems to be one of those "doomed" buildings - maybe it needs a Great Dane.
QuantumWeaver

Postby Crockett » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:00 pm

Put a Hot Dougs in Madison and I'll be there every day.

http://www.hotdougs.com/
Crockett
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:08 pm

Hey, that's not your cheese!

Sure would be nice to have a choice of either the classic yellow or the white melted cheese for nachos.

I don't get why people like quesadillas. The 'bite texture' seems wrong to me - too undefined and oogy in the middle. It does seem to help if the preparer crisps up the outer tortillas in a pan with a little oil though.

If you do wings, just make sure they're good quality. A lot of places sell drummies/wings, but what you often get is a collection of cruelly twisted appendages from some poor unidentifiable animals that had obviously lived their short but miserable lives with their broken limbs growing in/around/through the metal workings of their tiny cages. Not good eats.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby acereraser » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:05 pm

I really am just here for the threadpouts, but if you are gonna do wings, and you are serious about veering off the Sysco trail, try and figure out how to do Korean-style fried chicken wings in your hot dog setting. People will come for those alone.
acereraser
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HeyZeus » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:15 pm

Stomach wrote:I'm going to guess the old Damon's/Tilted Kilt spot. I think that building is vacant.

I just heard Babe's closed. How long was that open — a couple weeks?
HeyZeus
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Cooking & Food issues