MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Sunday, December 28, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 19.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

best burger in madison??

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Re: best burger in madison??

Postby flopsweat » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:23 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:
flopsweat wrote:while doing some burger-related research via friends on facebook i came across a restaurant in milwaukee called "aj bombers". has anyone checked it out?

As someone who spends a lot of time in social media, this comment is almost cute.

Nope, haven't been there yet, but from all the social and traditional media attention they get, I feel like I have.

a compliment regarding my virtual cuteness? i'll take it!

last night i ventured over the the blue moon and tried their "best cheeseburger". it was pretty good. their fries, however, were less than delicious. they were no better than the frozen fries i would get at the g-store.

i think the next burger stop will be at either alchemy or the great dane. speaking of the dane, no mention in this thread. why is that?
flopsweat

Postby Petro » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:00 pm

flopsweat wrote:speaking of the dane, no mention in this thread. why is that?

The Dane saw at least one mention, if not more. Speaking only for myself, though - I wouldn't really put anything from the Dane on a "best of" list. It's a big enough menu that you can usually find something for anyone, and it's always something reliably good - but I've yet to have anything there that was stand-out amazing.

My short list would probably have to be:

The sloppy house burger at The Old Fashioned
Bob's Bad Breath Burger at the Weary
or either of the fantastic V-Burgers at Brasserie V

I really miss the burger that they used to have on the lunch menu at Cocoliquot. That was a work of art.
Petro
Forum Addict

Postby wack wack » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:15 pm

If you're thinking about the Dane and headed toward the east location, keep going until you get to 1855 Saloon in Cottage Grove... best burger I've had in awhile.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kimm » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:51 am

wack wack wrote:If you're thinking about the Dane and headed toward the east location, keep going until you get to 1855 Saloon in Cottage Grove... best burger I've had in awhile.

How is the other food at 1855? Menu looks good.
kimm
Forum Addict

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:46 pm

kimm wrote:
wack wack wrote:If you're thinking about the Dane and headed toward the east location, keep going until you get to 1855 Saloon in Cottage Grove... best burger I've had in awhile.

Ms Vilas and I had the Scallops Monterrey last summer. We both thought it was excellent.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:47 pm

I have had a great burger at Players, but it was a couple years ago.

In the other thread I mentioned an outstanding burger at Bishop's Bay country club. I was a guest.

I remember hesitantly ordering a burger at Famous Dave's, and it was fantastic! Also a couple of years ago.

The one time I tried a Dotty D. burger, before I realized what a Douchebag that guy is, it was painfully average, the place was dirty, and every ketchup bottle for tables around me was empty.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby workboy7 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:56 pm

I've never understood the draw to Dotty's...
workboy7
Forum Addict

Postby rabble » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:27 pm

workboy7 wrote:I've never understood the draw to Dotty's...

I haven't eaten there since they moved from just off State Street, but back then I thought it was great. The burger and fries were excellent, the place was clean, plenty of room and all the ketchup bottles were full.

Apparently it has not aged well.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wallrock » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:18 pm

workboy7 wrote:I've never understood the draw to Dotty's...

A friend of mine was a server at Dotty's during college and then again after moving back prior to grad school so I've stopped by more than a few times when she was working. My take on Dotty's has always been to avoid the busy times like before games at the Kohl Center or weekends and instead go for weeknights when the service is better. I always liked the buffalo burger with a few toppings and the few specialty burgers I tried were good, namely the Heart Throb and the California. I never got sides or add-ons so I never got burned on those charges, but still it was pricey overall. I'd occasionally get a free beer in exchange for a big tip, so that evened things out in the long run.

My memories of the old Dotty's were all great but I was 17-19 during those years before the move so I wasn't exactly a culinary expert.
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kissyfish » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:28 pm

Wisco-Burger!

Sharky makes up a fine basket
kissyfish
Forum Addict

Postby AndyMatts » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:54 am

I'd put Dotty's up there on a top burger list. THE top? Not so sure, but they're excellent.

There are probably a lot of other great burgers around in places where I just haven't eaten or had burgers. A couple of others, probably a little bit better than Dotty's, IMO:

Blue Moon
Oakcrest

Smoky Jon's makes an excellent burger.

I'm not sure if they still do, but, surprisingly, Gino's used to have great burgers and fries.

Slightly out of town, I'd stack the burgers at Northern Edge in Lodi up against just about any I've had.

Ellen's Deli used to have the very, very best fries, along with a small Korean menu, which made for some interesting order combinations. Then they converted to the New Seoul and went full-on Korean.

I usually don't remember the fries, so I can't help you there.
AndyMatts

Postby MadMind75 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:00 pm

AndyMatts wrote:I'm not sure if they still do, but, surprisingly, Gino's used to have great burgers and fries.

BARF! Two absolute worst burgers I've ever had in Madison were at Gino's and the Oak Crest on Regent (now Lucky's).

I agree with many others in that Dotty's lost it's character and appeal when they moved. Upper State St. was a good location to bring in all kinds, whereas their new location isn't so great (especially if you're over 30), although I suppose it is closer to their base clientele.
But being close to another established place for burgers (Nitty Gritty) probably hurts their business. When they were on upper State they were one of the few of their kind in the direct area. That and it seems they were a lot cheaper back then (two for one Tuesdays?!).
MadMind75
Forum Addict

Postby AndyMatts » Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:23 pm

Well, the last time I ate a burger from Gino's was 1987, so your experience is probably more current then mine.
AndyMatts

Postby green union terrace chair » Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:35 pm

1. Bob's Bad Breath Burger - Weary Traveller
2. Melting Pot - Dotty's
3. Martini Burger - Madison's

The last one is a real niche burger. It has bacon and blue cheese and then green olives mixed into the burger itself.
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby friendofafriend » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:35 am

kimm wrote:

we've been there twice and were super satisfied both times. Had the trout on a friday and it was one of the better fish friys I've had lately. service was good not great, but no real complaints. Another time had the house steak (1855 steak ??) and it was cooked perfect, very tasty. I think it was about 20 bucks. We'll go again.
friendofafriend

PreviousNext

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews