MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Friday, August 22, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 77.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Hilldale in Foreclosure

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Re: Hilldale in Foreclosure

Postby lolagirl » Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:40 am

My freshman year in college was great, and I didn't want to leave when summer came. I got a job at a newly opened restaurant around a newly opened West Towne. The place (site of Delaneys now) was in a single, small strip mall that sat incongruously in the middle of nowhere.

The long, long bus ride to West Towne took me from downtown through the near West Side, and past the corner of Whitney and Mineral Point - which was then just about edge of town (Cuna, on Rosa Road, was the true edge of town). The bus would keep going down Mineral Point, which was a rural road, until it hit this newly opened mall and then to my job. When I worked a split shift I'd spend the afternoon hanging out with one of the waitresses who was renting an old farm house on Odana Road. We'd sit in the yard sunning and smoking pot. Rarely, if ever, did a car go by.

The restaurant went broke - there just weren't enough people willing to travel that far from where they lived, and I spent the summer watching the owner despondently drink in the bar as he watched his life savings slip away.

That was 1973. This is why I feel so damn old.
lolagirl
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 203
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:59 am

Re: Hilldale in Foreclosure

Postby snoqueen » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:29 am

That area was so pretty in those days -- just farm fields, sun, and wavy tall grass. I think just about every hippie in Madison knew somebody who rented a farmhouse out there, ran around in overalls, and grew pot.

What was the name of the bar on the corner of Mineral Point and something -- Paul and Darlene's? (I'm sure that isn't right -- somebody remind me.) It's still there, right in front of a bunch of big boxes and big parking lots. In the old days it was way out in the boonies surrounded by cornfields, and we'd go in, have a few beers, and drive back to town half looped. This was before Wisconsin had much in the way of drunk driving laws.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 11401
Joined: Fri Feb 14, 2003 11:42 pm

Re: Hilldale in Foreclosure

Postby Jademan7 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:33 am

A frozen coke and fries at McCrory's was always a big treat after shopping with my mother. Good times.
Jademan7
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 104
Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:50 pm
Location: Madison

Re: Hilldale in Foreclosure

Postby lolagirl » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:40 am

snoqueen wrote:What was the name of the bar on the corner of Mineral Point and something -- Paul and Darlene's? (I'm sure that isn't right -- somebody remind me.) It's still there, right in front of a bunch of big boxes and big parking lots. In the old days it was way out in the boonies surrounded by cornfields, and we'd go in, have a few beers, and drive back to town half looped. This was before Wisconsin had much in the way of drunk driving laws.


I recall it as Paul and Maureen's Speedway Tap, and have the same memories you do of going there. I remember sharing the bar with farmers in overalls enjoying a beer after a hard day of plowing.
At some point in the 1980s I believe they divorced and it became just Maureen's.

Another place I remember are Dolly's - not the Willy St one (though I sure remember that) but the one outside of Middleton on 14.
lolagirl
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 203
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:59 am

Re: Hilldale in Foreclosure

Postby frozenCow » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:52 pm

narcoleptish wrote: East Towne had that lounge in front...Backstage??...that I never got a chance to see. Moon fun shop. When a store went out they would cover the front with those walls that looked like Hollywood Squares without the drunk celebrities.

Are you referring to the bar that was at East Towne across from the theaters (near Aladdin’s Castle and Moon Fun Shop)? I forget the name, but Backstage sounds about right. I was in there once or twice in the early 80s. It had a movie theme, and a signature drink named the Oscar (no, I never had one - it was too expensive for me).

I liked Moon Fun Shop, but to me the East Towne store was just a shell of its former self at its old State St location (next door to the Capitol Theater). After 1974 (when the city bought the block to build the Civic Center), Moon Fun Shop on State St was no more.
frozenCow
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 264
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:43 am
Location: Mad City, USA

Re: Hilldale in Foreclosure

Postby frozenCow » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:54 pm

mayact4 wrote:Remember Uncle Paul's, the toy store at Westgate in the 60's? I think, but am not sure, it was about where TJ Maxx is now and it was HUGE (at least to a kid). At Christmas, they put a little red cottage in the parking lot right in front of Uncle Paul's, and that's where we would visit Santa.

I remember Uncle Paul’s at Westgate, and yes (from the perspective of a young child in 1960s Madison) it was HUGE. Most department stores and hardware stores had a toy section, but Uncle Paul’s was an entire store. Wolff-Kubly & Hirsig on the square (which was more of a department store back then) had almost an entire floor devoted to toys. Besides Uncle Paul’s, I spent a lot of time making wish lists at Wolff-Kubly too.
frozenCow
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 264
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:43 am
Location: Mad City, USA

Re: Hilldale in Foreclosure

Postby frozenCow » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:16 am

lolagirl wrote:
snoqueen wrote:What was the name of the bar on the corner of Mineral Point and something -- Paul and Darlene's? (I'm sure that isn't right -- somebody remind me.) It's still there, right in front of a bunch of big boxes and big parking lots. In the old days it was way out in the boonies surrounded by cornfields, and we'd go in, have a few beers, and drive back to town half looped. This was before Wisconsin had much in the way of drunk driving laws.


I recall it as Paul and Maureen's Speedway Tap, and have the same memories you do of going there. I remember sharing the bar with farmers in overalls enjoying a beer after a hard day of plowing.
At some point in the 1980s I believe they divorced and it became just Maureen's.

Another place I remember are Dolly's - not the Willy St one (though I sure remember that) but the one outside of Middleton on 14.

Are you referring to the bar on Mineral Point Rd just past the beltline, on the west side of the road, just before the Middleton Junction Cemetery near County M?

There were actually two bars there, right next to each other: Paul and Maureen's Speedway Tap and Points West.

Heading out of town, the Speedway was first on the right, followed by Points West. The last time I was in either of these places was in the 80s. I don't know when it closed, but Points West was torn down to build Junction Rd. The Speedway (which in its final days was known as Paul's Speedway Tap) was torn down about two years ago to build a bank on the corner of Junction Rd and Mineral Point Rd.
frozenCow
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 264
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:43 am
Location: Mad City, USA

Re: Hilldale in Foreclosure

Postby snoqueen » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:07 pm

That's the one. It's torn down? I haven't been out that way in a while. The Speedway was like a monument to a whole rural lifestyle that's totally gone with the wind, and we don't use Landmarks for that kind of stuff.

Which is just as well, I guess.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 11401
Joined: Fri Feb 14, 2003 11:42 pm

Re: Hilldale in Foreclosure

Postby Michael Patrick » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:24 pm

lolagirl wrote: When I worked a split shift I'd spend the afternoon hanging out with one of the waitresses who was renting an old farm house on Odana Road. We'd sit in the yard sunning and smoking pot. Rarely, if ever, did a car go by.


I miss the days when I had the time to just sit in the yard smoking pot.... :(
Michael Patrick
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 3948
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 8:56 am
Location: Around here somewhere

Re: Hilldale in Foreclosure

Postby lolagirl » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:37 pm

Michael Patrick wrote:
lolagirl wrote: When I worked a split shift I'd spend the afternoon hanging out with one of the waitresses who was renting an old farm house on Odana Road. We'd sit in the yard sunning and smoking pot. Rarely, if ever, did a car go by.


I miss the days when I had the time to just sit in the yard smoking pot.... :(


Me too. That's part of why the memory is so sweet.
lolagirl
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 203
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:59 am

Re: Hilldale in Foreclosure

Postby frozenCow » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:23 pm

snoqueen wrote:That's the one. It's torn down? I haven't been out that way in a while. The Speedway was like a monument to a whole rural lifestyle that's totally gone with the wind, and we don't use Landmarks for that kind of stuff.

Which is just as well, I guess.

Sorry to have been the bearer of sad news.

Back in the early 80s I worked with some folks from Pine Bluff and they used to stop at Points West on their way home from work and sometimes I would join them. That place was smaller than Paul's, but it definitely had the small town flavor you described for the Speedway.

I too had lost touch with that area until about 1999 when I started going to Target. By that time Points West was gone, and in its place Junction Rd extended County M to Old Sauk. That area almost stood still in time until the 90s.

First settled in 1841, the area around the junction of roads (Mineral Point Rd an County M) was the original location of the village called Middleton. In 1846 The Middleton Post Office was established there. In 1870 the post office moved to Section 11, and that settlement became known as the village of Middleton (present site of downtown City of Middleton). After the move, the original village was called Middleton Junction and later East Middleton. The Middleton Junction Cemetery and the old Middleton Junction school (a.k.a the West Side Club - formerly the West Side Businessmen's Club) is all that remains of Middleton Junction.

Prior to construction of the Beltline, a traveler from the village of Verona to the village of Middleton would go North on County M to Mineral Point Rd, turn right (east) on Mineral Point Rd and drive to about where the Beltline is today, then turn left (north) on to County M and continue along more or less the current route the Beltline takes (or took prior to the recent major Hwy 12 overhaul) into Middleton. Mineral Point Rd and the south and north sections of County M formed the "junction" of crossroads. When they built the "new" Hwy 12/14 (the first version of the Beltline) in the late 1940s, they built it on top of that northern section of County M to Middleton, and extended it south of Mineral Point Rd and curved it east to Gammon Rd (the present route of the Beltline).

About a 2 years ago, I paid a visit to Middleton Junction Cemetery just to look around. They have a sign posted, listing who is buried there, and the sign notes who the veterans are. Several veterans are buried there including many from the Civil War (more than I expected). Sadly, it is not a peaceful place due to the traffic.
frozenCow
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 264
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:43 am
Location: Mad City, USA

Re: Hilldale in Foreclosure

Postby narcoleptish » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:51 pm

I think Dolly's was at Ashton Corners, which is at 12 & K.

We occasionally stop at the bar at Springfield Corners if we do a Sunday drive thing. Always an interesting crowd and a couple times there didn't seem to be an official bartender, someone would get off a stool and serve us.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 3622
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2005 1:35 am

Previous

Return to Town Vibe

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

moviesmusiceats
Select a Movie
Select a Theater


commentsViewedForum
  ISTHMUS FLICKR

Promotions Contact us Privacy Policy Jobs Newsletters RSS
Collapse Photo Bar