MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Monday, September 22, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 70.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

East side auto repair

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

East side auto repair

Postby narcoleptish » Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:23 am

I know we have other mechanics threads and I've read them but I want to get a little more specific. I'm on a constant quest to find a mechanic within a couple miles of my house who is just normally dishonest as opposed to outright criminal. I live roughly in the area of the Goodman center and I'm actually wondering about a few shops in particular. Does anyone have any experience with these places:

Lukes, corner of E Wash and First.
Apex, new place on Milwaukee st across from the VW guy.
East Side Services on Fair Oaks, is it boats AND cars?
Place on Cottage Grove rd between Lumbermans trail and Acewood, on the right going out...can never catch the name

Thanks
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Re: East side auto repair

Postby iwiw99 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:57 am

I like ARA on East Wash.

I think these guys are honest.

They were reccomended by a friend and I would do the same.

Terry at Terry's Car Care was good also but it has been some years.

Terry's did a cargo van well.

ARA did a fast BMW well.
iwiw99
Forum Addict

Postby brentron909 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:17 am

Speedy Muffler, across from the once and former Union Corners on East Wash. Consistently good, consistently less expensive than other places on the East Side.
brentron909
Forum Addict

Postby narcoleptish » Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:06 am

Speedy is the only place I consistently go to and the only place that has actually told me there's nothing wrong with my car (twice) when I've brought it in for some weird sound or knock. But I've always figured they were just muffler/brakes/shocks and didn't do other stuff like a basic tune-up or electrical work. I suppose it wouldn't hurt to ask.

ARA is someone I hadn't thought of. Thanks.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:55 pm

iwiw99 wrote:I like ARA on East Wash.

I've been going there for years. It was within walking distance of my old apartment so it was really convenient. I've since moved farther away but continue to go. I would highly recommend them.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Re: East side auto repair- Dave's on Stoughton?

Postby adrian z. » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:38 am

Has anyone tried Dave's Auto Repair at 71 S. Stoughton, just south of Milwakee street on the east side?

I was impressed by the reviews I saw online, but it's hard to know where those come from, so would like to hear if anyone has experience with them.

The ARA reviews online completely contradicted what was said on this thread, which is confusing.
adrian z.

Postby barney » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:44 am

A friend of mine used to take her car there (she has since moved away). She liked him, he wouldn't try to sell her things she didn't need and would tell her when something could wait to be fixed.
barney
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:16 am

I went to Seversin's regularly for years before I moved out of the neighborhood. No complaints.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby thedude25 » Thu May 05, 2011 12:27 pm

Tom's Auto on E. Wash near North/Milwaukee St. intersection is good. A couple owns and they're very nice and helpful. I think they're completely honest. Even told me where I could get a used tire instead of paying for a new one.
thedude25

Postby georgialou » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:20 pm

When my mechanic (the fantastic Scott @ Turn Two Auto) moved even further west (I'm on the east side) I switched to Seversins on Fair Oaks and Milwaukee and they've been great so far...
georgialou

Postby lambeau85leap » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:20 pm

Looking at a company review site such as angie's list will give you an idea of who the most reputable mechanics are in the area. I have used it for any work I need done where reputable companies are not always obvious (Landscaping, HVAC, etc.). It is a site for user reviews that keeps the bias out from the companies themselves.Worth a shot.
Last edited by lambeau85leap on Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
lambeau85leap

Postby Petro » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:38 pm

Kenneth Burns wrote:I went to Seversin's regularly for years before I moved out of the neighborhood. No complaints.

Ditto.

Mike was my landlord for a couple of years, as well as my mechanic. He wasn't much for talking, but always unfailingly honest and seemingly only concerned with doing the right thing.

I'll be so lucky as to find someone as good as him on the west side.
Petro
Forum Addict

Postby KidCapitol » Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:46 pm

iwiw99 wrote:I like ARA on East Wash.

Same here only it was my landlord.

Here's my story on them....

When I was going to buy my share of my mom's former van from an ex-girlfriend, I took it to Wayne's Automotave Gas and Repair (Located in the South East side on Cottage Grove Rd. near Monona Dr.at Johns St.) They looked it over and told me tons of things wrong with it.
Then when I got the van, thankfully my gf for some reason decided not to charge me her share for it, I took it to ARA later on for something else. They offered to look it over regarding the laundry list of problems and disagreed with the assessment from Wayne's saving me tons of money. Plus the guy behind the desk was very patient with me and giving me a chart of when to bring the van in when it hit certain milages.
So, avoid Wayne's go to ARA.
And more recently when I needed to re-charge a battery I had gotten from ARA he gave me advice over the phone on what to set the charger to.
KidCapitol
Forum Addict

Return to Town Vibe