MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Sunday, September 21, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 57.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Pabst Theater Vicinity (Milw)

Bars, wine, beer, cocktails, drunken escapades

Pabst Theater Vicinity (Milw)

Postby jman111 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:07 pm

So, I'll be in Milwaukee for a show at The Pabst Theater this Friday. Can anyone recommend any good bars in the area? Now, by "good" I mean places that have decent beer selection and no HUGE crowds (this probably rules out Water Street bars, which I imagine still resemble State St/campus bars in Madison). Nothin' fancy, just good suds and a decent atmosphere.

Any hidden gems down there?
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Pabst Theater Vicinity (Milw)

Postby wallrock » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:42 pm

The last time I saw a show at the Pabst I went across the street to the Newsroom Pub across the street for a couple pre-show drinks. It was a pretty decent time, with sufficient selection to appease my buddy and me. It's also connected to the Safe House and there's a CCTV feed to the entrance, so you can watch people doing stupid tricks to gain admission.
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:01 pm

Thanks, rock.

Keep 'em coming, please. I like options, and I've got pre- and post-show stops to consider.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:04 pm

wallrock wrote: It's also connected to the Safe House and there's a CCTV feed to the entrance, so you can watch people doing stupid tricks to gain admission.

The Safe House is still there? Wow.

I thought it was a cute gimmick when we went there decades ago but we all agreed it was a flash in the pan. Couldn't last.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:07 pm

What about Milwaukee Ale House? Has anyone been there? It's a bit further south on Water St. I'd love to find a place with a hearty tap selection.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Athena » Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:21 pm

The Hinterland restaurant is near the Pabst but you'll probably want to drive or take a short taxi ride. I ate a very expensive (and very good) dinner there and noticed they had a nice bar area. They've got all the Hinterland beers on tap. It was quiet on the night I was there but it was early so I don't know if they get more people later in the night.
Athena
Forum Addict

Postby jman111 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:28 pm

Thanks also, Athena.
I've got a driver, so relatively short distances won't be a problem!
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:43 pm

jman111 wrote:What about Milwaukee Ale House? Has anyone been there? It's a bit further south on Water St. I'd love to find a place with a hearty tap selection.

Good food and house-brewed beer. The dining room is separate, with outside seating next to the river if the weather is nice, but you need to order food to be seated there during dining hours.

The bar area is large with a stage, and usually has live music on the weekends. It's similar in size to the pool room at the downtown Dane, so it can get crowded and loud. Probably not your cup o' tea that evening, but I'd recommend stopping by on an off-night sometime.
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby LargeMarge » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:16 pm

Last time we were in Milwaukee, we enjoyed the bar at the Iron Horse Hotel. Great service, great drinks and a great atmosphere. It's a little over a mile from the Pabst. The food is really good, too. They have valet parking. However, if you are willing to walk a block or so, you can park on the street for free. The covered motorcycle parking is free.

It wasn't overly crowded when we went. They do have a Friday Fish Fry so I don't know if that makes it busier during lent. We were there on a Saturday in June.

http://www.theironhorsehotel.com/food-d ... anded.html
LargeMarge
Forum Addict

Postby jman111 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:14 am

Thank you, all, for the suggestions. I hope to hit at least a few of these spots.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bill6beers » Sat May 07, 2011 2:25 pm

I usually stop at Rock Bottom Brewery before/after Pabst shows. It's close enough that A-Rod could throw a football between the two places. Otherwise, I like the Hofbrauhaus/Old German Beer Hall a few blocks northwest on Old World Third Street. The nearby Brady Street taverns have the Madison east-side vibe that feels like home. Drive north on Water (~1 mile)and it becomes Brady. Try Nomad for beer, or turn left on Arlington from Brady, left on Pulaski to get to the famous "I Closed" Wolski's Tavern.
bill6beers

Postby jman111 » Mon May 09, 2011 1:05 pm

We grabbed a bite before the show at Flannery's, just east of the theater on Wells. We were running a bit late, but got seated immediately. Good fried Perch on a Friday night.

We didn't do any bar hopping in the immediate area, so I didn't make it to any of the brew pubs . Our driver had to get home, so we ended up in Bay View. Stopped at several neighborhood joints, but ended up at The Sugar Maple- just off of KK on Lincoln. I highly recommend a visit if you're in the area, if only just to witness the 60 tap handles. Yep, 60 brews on tap- and reasonably priced, as well. Bill, you should try to check this place out, if you haven't already.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bill6beers » Mon May 09, 2011 3:00 pm

jman,
Yes, I've been to the great Bay View pubs Sugar Maple, The Palm, and Cafe Centraal. I include them when I have more time -- which typically ISN'T on Pabst Theather dates. I'm usually coming right back to Madison. Cafe Hollander and the Bomb Shelter are also worthwhile beery stops. Again, a little farther from the theater.

BTW, not sure what your show night budget is, but I've had good luck hotwiring 4-star rooms in Milwaukee for ~$70-$80 at really nice places. Often they'll put you at Intercontinental in the same building as the Pabst. The other place they end end putting us is the Ambassador -- a beautiful Art Deco hotel on Wisc Ave with a free shuttle. The free Holiday Inn loyalty club gets you a two-room suite upgrade at Intercontinental.
bill6beers

Postby jman111 » Mon May 09, 2011 3:31 pm

Thanks for the tips, Bill.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Beer, wine & cocktails