MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Thursday, July 10, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 80.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Veridian homes - worth it or not?

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Re: Veridian homes - worth it or not?

Postby Dust Mite Rodeo » Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:54 pm

I can see certain advantages in being able to exit the building, through a wall, with only the aid of an X-acto knife. If for example some CHUDS were blocking all of the exits.
Dust Mite Rodeo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:57 pm

We have it in the master bedroom around the sills only. I attribute it to the fact that it's directly connected to the master bath and when that door is open, the excess moisture ventures into the bedroom.

This makes perfect sense if you think about it. The fan isn't drawing enough air out, so instead of having negative pressure in the bathroom (which would send damp bathroom air outside via the fan, replacing it with dry air from other parts of the house) the damp air moves back into the bedroom and condenses on the coldest available surface, which often is around a window. They're supposed to seal around each window with caulk, tape, and/or foam, but it's easy to skip if nobody is checking and workers are rushed.

Running a good-sized bathroom fan has got to be cheaper than dehumidifying the entire house. Taking apart the walls around the windowsills to fix the insulation deficiency sounds messy and costly. I think I'd go for a bigger fan first.

Or else quit bathing.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:56 am

I agree with Sno 100%. I neglected to consider that the windows in question could be adjacent to the bath (I'm not used to these newfangled houses with "master suites"- I've never had an attached bath). Yep, beef up the exhaust fan and you should avoid any mold issues.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby c02 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:11 pm

I hate to hijack this thread but how much work does that entail? Do I have to replace the entire system from fan to vent or can I just replace the fan?
c02
Forum Addict

Postby rabble » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:03 pm

c02 wrote:I hate to hijack this thread but how much work does that entail? Do I have to replace the entire system from fan to vent or can I just replace the fan?

Most of the time, just the fan. The vent should be a standard 3 inch tube, either metal or that plastic stuff wrapped around a wire coil. Same stuff you'd find at Menard's. Just about any fan from any place that sells them will fit on it.

The beefier the fan, the more air pumped out. There's a law of diminishing returns in there somewhere but I'm pretty sure any fan too big for that tube would suck your toilet paper off the roll.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:20 pm

Not that it will solve the problem completely, but the fan could be left on for an extended period following bathing/showering, instead of shutting it off right away. Also, consider leaving the bathroom door closed to contain the moisture (and only open it when most of the moisture has been vented).

Ultimately, more venting capability is the solution. Fans should be relatively standard in size, but check the CFM number (cubic feet per minute) to gauge volume of air moved.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:39 pm

jman111 wrote:Ultimately, more venting capability is the solution. Fans should be relatively standard in size, but check the CFM number (cubic feet per minute) to gauge volume of air moved.

Yeah. I should have said "powerful" instead of "bigger" because they're not really bigger they just move bigger air.

The old fan should have its CFM somewhere on its label. I don't know if any of them have ONLY the room size rating as in, this fan is good for a 10x10 bathroom, but if it does, get the one for the biggest damn bathroom in the world. There aren't very many folks who had problems because they bought a bathroom fan that was too big.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby donges » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:50 pm

And get up in the attic and make sure the fan vent actually goes to the outside rather than just a tube stuck up above the attic insulation.
Yep, I have seen that.
donges
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:01 pm

donges wrote:And get up in the attic and make sure the fan vent actually goes to the outside rather than just a tube stuck up above the attic insulation.
Yep, I have seen that.

You can check that by hunting around for the outlet and feeling the air come out when the fan is on, but yeah. That happens. I'm pretty sure it's illegal as hell in a newer home and comes with major fines for the builder, but if the workers are disgruntled and the inspector's lazy, it could happen.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MagPie » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:55 pm

c02 wrote:Have a Veridian home and have horrible mold in the master bath as well as mold on windows in the master suite. The fan, pardon the pun, sucks. The home is less than 6 years old. That is really our only issue but it's a big one nonetheless.

We also have mold on the windows in our master bath and bedroom (more in the bedroom, though), and the house is less than 3 years old. The mold doesn't seem to be too bad, at least not yet; just noticed it for the first time toward the end of winter.

And we also have a humidifier running year-round (though it doesn't run often in the winter months), and use the bathroom fan constantly (usually set for 60 minutes when the shower faucet gets turned on).
MagPie

Postby BillEKlub » Thu May 19, 2011 2:28 pm

Two words for you to consider if "Veridian" has anything to do with the box you live in:

"Re" and "Sale"

Print those out and save them. You won't find them anywhere near your Veridian Home.

If you are a drinker, find some way to uniquely mark out your area. No need to go crashing in to the neighbor's identical, cookie-cutter, postage stamp yard, vinyl sided, model #13 house. Of course, it should be easy to find the bathroom...they are all in the same place. In every. house. on the block.
BillEKlub

Previous

Return to Town Vibe