MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Thursday, July 24, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 58.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Blaska and Isthmus's credibility

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.

Re: Blaska and Isthmus's credibility

Postby jjoyce » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:54 pm

jman111 wrote:Now THAT'S depressing.


Have you ever been able to restrain yourself from being fished in by him?

I mean, you've written hundreds of thousands of words by now as comments on that thing, and that's not an exaggeration. I've approved hundreds of your comments myself, which means my colleagues here have likely approved hundreds more. If one was deleted, it must have really been over the edge.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 12168
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2001 4:48 pm
Location: Madison, WI

Re: Blaska and Isthmus's credibility

Postby jman111 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:04 pm

jjoyce wrote:Know what's depressing?

Yep- when multiple forons plead for a legitimate reason/excuse to retain Blaska and his nonsense (rather than employ a thoughtful, reasoned Conservative voice at Isthmus) and the pleas are left unanswered.
jjoyce wrote:
jman111 wrote:Now THAT'S depressing.


Have you ever been able to restrain yourself from being fished in by him?

I mean, you've written hundreds of thousands of words by now as comments on that thing, and that's not an exaggeration. I've approved hundreds of your comments myself, which means my colleagues here have likely approved hundreds more. If one was deleted, it must have really been over the edge.

They were YOUR deletions, and YOU defended them by classifying them as "off-topic." As a matter of fact, I restrain myself more often than not. However, it is as difficult to remain silent as it is disturbing to witness the dissemination of outright lies and general hypocrisy by Blaska. The Isthmus supports him in these endeavors. THAT is depressing. I expect more from you, and lately am consistently disappointed.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2922
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:43 pm
Location: Dane County

Re: Blaska and Isthmus's credibility

Postby jjoyce » Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:55 pm

You apparently can't get the better of him, so you want us to just drop his blog altogether? And replace it with what? The wit and wisdom of Jman?

Look to your right. Blaska's Blog occupies the top slot right now, as well as #10. That's not an inconsiderable number of pageviews. There's an audience that exists for what he's writing. That audience includes you, his most active fan.

Conservatives travel among us, jman, whether you choose to admit it or not. Their views are reflected on our pages, always have been. They're as much a part of the city as cover bands, drink specials and fishing from the shore. Blaska's blog reflects those views better than anyone else out there, for my money. Better than Sykes, better than Schneider, better than Vicki McKenna herself (my bet is she gets quite a few of her talking points right off the blog).

I guess I don't understand your beef. Is he not the genuine article? If he was factually incorrect as often as you say he is, shouldn't you be able to best him every time you challenge him in a comment? When he's addressing the issue of shouting down and flipping off tea partiers, he's pretty much dead on. Is that hard for you to read, Jman? It's sometimes hard for me to read.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 12168
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2001 4:48 pm
Location: Madison, WI

Re: Blaska and Isthmus's credibility

Postby jman111 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:40 pm

"Get the better of him"? "Best him"? Now you're even writing like him! You assert that his factual accuracy hinges on my ability to "win" a debate with him- a man lacking in intellectual honesty who regularly employs blatant fallacies and refuses to answer relevant questions when they do not serve his agenda. I prefer to think that I "best him" every time I refuse to stoop to his level, when I reject over-generalization, lies and blatant hypocrisy.

You seem like a fairly intelligent guy, Jason, so I assume that you are just "playing dumb" on this issue. We have, in fact, expressed common criticisms of him in the past. I don't recall specifically wanting you "to just drop his blog altogether." If I have, please reference the occurence.

And yes, conservatives do travel among us. (I wonder- why would you contend that I would not admit this?) Of this I am well aware. In fact, I value the limited opportunities to discuss the issues with those Conservatives who at least appear capable of an honest conversation. I happen to think we would all be better off if people were willing to honestly discuss issues with those who think differently than them without resorting to inflammatory rhetoric. Others around here apparently think the same. I suspect that is why others have questioned the retention of Blaska.

At least you have confirmed the suspicions (or so it appears) that Blaska is retained solely for pageviews and that legitimacy of content is irrelevant. And if you honestly think that Blaska reflects Conservative views "better than anyone else out there", I am clearly wasting my time attempting to discuss this with you.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2922
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:43 pm
Location: Dane County

Re: Blaska and Isthmus's credibility

Postby bdog » Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:45 pm

The sad part is - middle of the roaders don't gain much traction in discussion here. But post a truly outrageous opinion and it's a feeding frenzy.

Face it forons - we created Blaska.

Mary Shelley wrote:It was already one in the morning; the rain pattered dismally against the panes, and my candle was nearly burnt out, when, by the glimmer of the half-extinguished light, I saw the dull yellow eye of the creature open.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 3212
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:26 am

Re: Blaska and Isthmus's credibility

Postby ilikebeans » Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:51 pm

jjoyce wrote:Look to your right. Blaska's Blog occupies the top slot right now, as well as #10. That's not an inconsiderable number of pageviews. There's an audience that exists for what he's writing.

There it is. Popularity = page views = credibility, apparently.

Meanwhile, we're still waiting for retraction of his proposition masquerading as the truth (lie? or just disingenuous?) about "East High teachers marched students down East Washington last Tuesday".

So far, the only acknowledgement we have gotten came in this thread (despite tons of requests for explanations in the original) from Blaska himself:

I am a liar because I doubted very much that the East High school walk out was done without any teacher influence. It's a proposition that cannot be conclusively proven either way.

The followup also incorrect. Of course the original statement can be proven. Did you ever talk to any teachers? Students? Or did you just assume the teachers orchestrated the students when your wrote your column that day?

It's this kind of sloppy "reporting" that continues unchallenged by the paper itself, and it's what's sparking this outcry here on the Forum. Sure, a blogger doesn't require a degree in journalism, but when it's sponsored by a paper, shouldn't it be held to a higher standard than your run-of-the-mill online loudmouth?
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2792
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2007 2:23 am

Re: Blaska and Isthmus's credibility

Postby jman111 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:56 pm

ilikebeans wrote: Sure, a blogger doesn't require a degree in journalism, but when it's sponsored by a paper, shouldn't it be held to a higher standard than your run-of-the-mill online loudmouth?

Apparently, no. (At least that's what the silence from the Isthmus staff implies.)
jman111
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2922
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:43 pm
Location: Dane County

Re: Blaska and Isthmus's credibility

Postby bdog » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:14 pm

An over the top statement by Blaska for sure, but...didn't the teachers have some influence?

How many teachers sat the kids down and went over the arguments on both sides (for there ARE two sides to the argument).

How many teachers explained to the students how they were inherently biased on the issue?

I'm guessing the answer is few to none.

An incredible teaching moment was probably lost. Give the students a fair assessment of the situation and let them decide. It didn't happen. Love to hear about it if it did.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 3212
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:26 am

Re: Blaska and Isthmus's credibility

Postby snoqueen » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:41 pm

Possibly the Isthmus staff, working in 3-D with Dave Blaska, find they like the guy personally and want to defend him.

I can see why they'd keep a columnist who gets them lots of clicks. Advertisers count the clicks, not why people clicked.

Me, I think Jack Craver does a great job and most of my clicks go to him. It appears he does research, gets interesting stories to talk about, and presents his point of view in a reasonable way. And if I disagreed with him and posted a comment under his column, I believe I'd get a meaningful reply.

That's what I am looking for in on-line journalism.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 11287
Joined: Fri Feb 14, 2003 11:42 pm

Re: Blaska and Isthmus's credibility

Postby gargantua » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:02 pm

I stopped clicking on Blaska's blog a couple of months ago, thinking that page views might be interpreted as popularity.

As of right now, I am not talking about him either. Fewer things are more effective in dealing with annoyances than just ignoring them.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 3961
Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2002 1:30 pm
Location: Madison

Re: Blaska and Isthmus's credibility

Postby jjoyce » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:22 pm

Jman takes a very righteous stance above, as he often does on the blog. But he needs a reality check. He believes we ought to have some sort of strict standard and hold all of our bloggers to it. Apparently each of the posts we run should be fact-checked. That's how we handle cover stories for the paper, but not the 5x per week blogger. Blogs, by definition, are living documents. The writer makes a point, you challenge it, the reader decides which makes the better point.

I'll say this: The one who goes on and on and on, belaboring the minor point over and over and demanding apologies usually isn't going to come out on top.

Of course, all of our bloggers have made errors in their posts, but Jman doesn't bang this drum for Jack or Emily, only Blaska, proving his standard is a sliding scale as well.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 12168
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2001 4:48 pm
Location: Madison, WI

Re: Blaska and Isthmus's credibility

Postby scratch » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:08 am

jjoyce wrote:Look to your right. Blaska's Blog occupies the top slot right now, as well as #10. That's not an inconsiderable number of pageviews. There's an audience that exists for what he's writing. {snip}I guess I don't understand your beef.


I can't speak for Jman, but here's my beef with your statement: How many of those page views are Blaska posting comments to his own blog? I think we already knew he's pretty darned popular with himself.
scratch
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 735
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:00 pm
Location: Dane County

Re: Blaska and Isthmus's credibility

Postby jman111 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:15 am

If you believe what Jason writes, I must be alone in my "righteous" criticisms of Blaska. However, if you read the posts from other readers, it is evident that I am not. He will obviously continue to defend the dissemination of lies and vitriol because the price is right. As he said, Blaska's the best "for (his) money". His motives are clear.

If he believes my efforts to address inaccuracies ends with Blaska's blather, as he claims, he is mistaken. However there are, quite obviously, disproportionately more opportunities there. I think Jason should be a bit more cautious in declaring "proof" of others' standards.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2922
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:43 pm
Location: Dane County

Re: Blaska and Isthmus's credibility

Postby rabble » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:16 am

The difference is that even though Jason doesn't come right out and say it, Isthmus needs readers and anyone who can drive up the numbers, stays. Where Fox news equates ratings with credibility, Isthmus equates ratings with money. Blaska puts eyes on the paper so Blaska stays.

That bit about how "everybody else makes mistakes but you guys just pick on Blaska" is pretty stupid though. It's plain to see that the other bloggers actually TRY to verify and make amends for mistakes. Blaska does neither.

I wish someone at Isthmus would at least admit that, but maybe it's better to have a hypocritical isthmus than no isthmus at all. Maybe Blaska's the only thing keeping the paper above water. That sure would explain the apologetic defensive stonewall attitude.
Last edited by rabble on Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 5995
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:50 pm

Re: Blaska and Isthmus's credibility

Postby scratch » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:08 am

rabble wrote:I wish someone at Isthmus would at least admit that, but maybe it's better to have a hypocritical isthmus than no isthmus at all. Maybe Blaska's the only thing keeping the paper above water. That sure would explain the apologetic defensive stonewall attitude.


Time to beef up the escort ads and allow racier pix to accompany personals? It's just smuttiness of a different feather. And a match for Blaska's pornstache.
scratch
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 735
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:00 pm
Location: Dane County

PreviousNext

Return to Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

moviesmusiceats
Select a Movie
Select a Theater


commentsViewedForum
  ISTHMUS FLICKR

Promotions Contact us Privacy Policy Jobs Newsletters RSS
Collapse Photo Bar