MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Saturday, August 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 77.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Sushi on King St at Restaurant Muramoto

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Sushi on King St at Restaurant Muramoto

Postby kulgar » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:39 am

I know at times I seem like a cheerleader, but I need a sushi fix regularly and didn't always feel like making the trek out to Hilldale to Sushi Muramoto.

So I was overjoyed last Monday when Shinji started preparing Tokyo quality sushi at Restaurant Muramoto on King St.

Enjoy!
kulgar
Forum Addict

Re: Sushi on King St at Restaurant Muramoto

Postby Fat.The.Gangster » Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:15 am

kulgar wrote:I know at times I seem like a friend of the owner or employee, but I need a sushi fix regularly and didn't always feel like paying for advertising.

So I was overjoyed last Monday when Shinji started preparing Tokyo quality sushi at Restaurant Muramoto on King St.

Enjoy my friend's restaurant! and this commercial masquerading as a review

Fixt.
Fat.The.Gangster
Forum Addict

Postby TheBookPolice » Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:23 am

Hasn't sushi been on the menu at Restaurant Muramoto from the get-go--at least, at the current location?

EDIT: Ah. I see from the website that they have changed it up a little (emphasis mine):

Check out our new menu, including a full sushi menu with sashimi, nigiri, and rolls.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Athena » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:46 pm

Ah. That explains the teaser ad in the Isthmus a week or two ago. They've got quite a long list of different kinds of sushi.
Athena
Forum Addict

Postby jjoyce » Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:58 pm

I'm told that the biz moving into the Haze will be a sushi operation as well.

What was a mini-Little Italy a few years ago is turning into mini-Little Tokyo.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Crockett » Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:00 pm

jjoyce wrote:I'm told that the biz moving into the Haze will be a sushi operation as well.

Hopefully it will be priced correctly. Madison could use some sushi competition...
Crockett
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:12 pm

Crockett wrote:Hopefully it will be priced correctly. Madison could use some sushi competition...
We recently got a large take-out order from the mall-Muramoto and were amazed by their applied nano-technology. What we guessed would feed four people turned out to be no more than a grazing sample for two. I had never encountered that diminishing-candy-bar effect in the context of sushi. What's a piece of sushi now is what was a piece of a piece of sushi ten years ago, I guess.

This reminds me that one should never eat at any restaurant of which there is more than one.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Reply to F.T.G.

Postby kulgar » Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:38 pm

F.T.G, I can understand your skepticism regarding any positive posting given the occasional pumping on this site by an employee or even a rave review by an owner. But most of those are one shot only, create an ID and post. In my case, I've been aggravating the community for years and not only about Muramoto.

In this case you are confusing a patron with a friend or an employee. It's more of a European position, where as a patron of his restaurants, I want them to succeed and will tell the world about them. I like sushi, lived in Japan and tried the various Madison incarnations and was OK for a while, but my enthusiasm gradually faded until, my god, seven years ago, Shinji started opening restaurants. I want them to succeed because I enjoy eating at them. And there have been so many failed or closed restaurants that I liked eating at, that I think it my duty, if I want to keep eating at them, to spread the word and help them be successful.

I don't get any money out of it, but I get to keep eating there. How many restaurants that you really enjoyed eating at are gone? Think about the Square, and you don't have to agree with my choices: The Fess (I know it's been 15 years but I just ran into Rosie at 43 N), Magnus, Peppinos, Pinckney St, Cafe Montmartre, Botticelli, Tutta (meh, but a good wine list for after the Market on Saturday), Cafe Continental. All those places where King and Main is now. It's a tough business, and I'd like to keep eating sushi and the King St location is so much more convenient for me than Hilldale. Hence the post.

I am not an employee and have a W-2 to prove where I work. And if I were a friend, you'd think that just once in seven years we would have had a drink, or a meal, or played golf, gone to Visions or done something together socially. Not happened. I talk to Shinji every few months when he's cooking, and he is an artist who is inspiring to watch, but that's it. I talk to Vito LaRocca and plug his restaurant. I talk to Jane Caputo and LOVE her morning buns, they're original, but I'm not any of their "friends" or their employees. If they were my friends I would have convinced Jane to start making kringle and Vito would be open for lunch.

There are so damn few postings on this site the last few years but people still read it. So it's my duty as a patron of places I like, and want to be successful so I can continue to enjoy their foods, that I post.

No harm, no foul. Thanks for the excuse to spend some time with my keyboard.
kulgar
Forum Addict

Postby iwiw99 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:24 am

Rosie is at 43 North? Damn. That warrants a visit alone.
iwiw99
Forum Addict

Rosie was having a drink at N 43

Postby kulgar » Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:40 am

Sorry for the confusion, I ran into Rosie and Michael at the bar. She doesn't work there, still at Samba.
kulgar
Forum Addict

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:59 am

My two favorite places for sushi are Takara and Sushi Muramoto. For Takara, I usually go to the Odana/Whitney Way location, as parking is much easier than for their State Street location. But State Street delivers, so when we are in a sushi mood but don't feel like going out, it's a great option.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby massimo » Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:21 pm

I used to adore Sushi Muramoto at Hilldale. My sushi tastes are simple -- I like fresh slabs of sashimi and the basic rolls (salmon/avo, scallop, yellowtail/scallion, etc.), and I found that Muramoto would consistently deliver the best. However, I stopped going there this past winter after several consecutive sub-par visits. The rolls contained almost nothing but rice and looked as if they'd been assembled by a three year old with only play-doh training. They could barely be picked up without falling apart. Also, and maybe I eat dinner too late (generally after 8 ), but the fish itself was poor quality. One piece of salmon sashimi in particular contained some large nodule of connective tissue that could not be eaten. Complaining about food to waitstaff makes me even more sad than the food does itself, so I typically will smile, say "it's great, thank you", and be on my way.

I was bummed, because Muramoto was easy walking distance from my home, but Takara off of Whitney filled the gap adequately. Now that I'm an east sider again (hooray!), I'm happy to spend my sushi dollars at Takumi. Inconvenient location and almost always awkward service, but right now the best sushi in town (IMO, but that goes without saying).
Last edited by massimo on Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
massimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:17 pm

massimo wrote:Complaining about food to waitstaff makes me even more sad than the food does itself, so I typically will smile, say "it's great, thank you", and be on my way.

Thereby dooming yourself and others to the same fate until someone speaks up or Shinji hisownself sees the poor craftsmanship with his own eyes behind the counter.

Suck it up; say something.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby iwiw99 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:20 pm

Shucks, nothing would beat toddling into 43 North after the religious rock n roll show at Majestic on Sunday morning, and eating with Rosie and Michael, I mean drinking at the bar with. If you haven't done it, at the Blackhawk service? on Sunday AM it is well worth a visit to see straightlaced, white straight people, bibles in hand, stepping over cigarette butts and empty beer bottles. And of course WOOFs opens at noon.
iwiw99
Forum Addict

Postby Crockett » Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:40 pm

massimo wrote:However, I stopped going there this past winter after several consecutive sub-par visits. The rolls contained almost nothing but rice and looked as if they'd been assembled by a three year old with only play-doh training.

Totally agree. Its not always bad but its seems to be consistently overpriced for what it is.
Crockett
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews