MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Monday, September 22, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 52.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Advice for getting Great Taste of the Midwest tickets?

Bars, wine, beer, cocktails, drunken escapades

Advice for getting Great Taste of the Midwest tickets?

Postby Athena » Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:11 am

I decided I'd like to go to the Great Taste of the Midwest this year and for once I actually know when the tickets go on sale. So, what's the best strategy for getting tickets? Do you have to get in line the night before, or is early that morning okay? Does it matter where you line up? Are some places less crowded than others?
Athena
Forum Addict

Re: Advice for getting Great Taste of the Midwest tickets?

Postby gargantua » Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:31 am

It's impossible. Don't even try.

Seriously, check the website at www.mhtg.org

Star Liquor gets the highest number of tickets (600). Lately, getting there early in the morning has been early enough. Don't expect to roll in at 11 am and score. They also have a mail-in lottery.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:39 am

After years spent waiting in various lines, mostly with eventual success, I'm not about to give up my fav spot!

Oh what the hell. I think the best line to wait in is at the Wine & Hop Shop. Still gotta get there early.

$50 per ticket. I can't remember - is this what it cost last year?
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:57 am

supaunknown wrote:$50 per ticket. I can't remember - is this what it cost last year?

No, it's higher this year. Think it was $35 last year. Bill Rogers explains it on the homebrewer's website.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby scratch » Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:15 pm

The most surefire way to get tickets to Great Taste is to find a sleazeball proprietor like the one at the old J.T. Whitney's where they'd put the regulars at the bar on a list the night before tickets went on sale. Then they'd sell the tickets to the peopel on the list first, leaving the other 100 or so people congregating there with no tickets-- and too late to try another venue. Another way, somewhat less sleazy, is to get a pass through one of the vendors who is providing something--beer, food, etc.--to the affair. Or you could try the straightforward way and get in line very, very early...
scratch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:26 pm

I'm considering an amphibious assault on Olin-Turville this year. Do you think they'd notice a lone canoe sidling up to the shore?
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:47 pm

gargantua wrote:
supaunknown wrote:$50 per ticket. I can't remember - is this what it cost last year?

No, it's higher this year. Think it was $35 last year. Bill Rogers explains it on the homebrewer's website.

It was $40 last year. Maybe the year before was $35? Anyways, that's a big price increase. Bill's explanation summed it up well, and I hope he follows through on not raising prices again for quite some time. Even at $50, it's a great value.

Since this is Madison I should complain about something, yes? OK.: The Great Taste has gotten too big. Too many people. Too crowded. Not enough air to go around. Every year I hear they keep increasing the number of tickets sold. Please, no more.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby talagaster » Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:54 pm

green union terrace chair wrote:I'm considering an amphibious assault on Olin-Turville this year. Do you think they'd notice a lone canoe sidling up to the shore?

I think you could get away with the canoe. It's when you try to substitute a growler for a tasting glass that they might catch you.
talagaster
Forum Addict

Postby scratch » Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:58 pm

talagaster wrote:
green union terrace chair wrote:I'm considering an amphibious assault on Olin-Turville this year. Do you think they'd notice a lone canoe sidling up to the shore?

I think you could get away with the canoe. It's when you try to substitute a growler for a tasting glass that they might catch you.

But make sure to do it early. Later in the day the underbrush near the water is crawling with attendees relieving themselve in the bushes because the portapotty lines are incredibly long. They're likely to rat you out even if only unintentionally announcing your presence. I mean assault.
scratch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby talagaster » Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:06 pm

scratch wrote:But make sure to do it early. Later in the day the underbrush near the water is crawling with attendees relieving themselve in the bushes because the portapotty lines are incredibly long. They're likely to rat you out even if only unintentionally announcing your presence. I mean assault.

On the other hand, an later beach assault would also you to hide behind the guts of the over-served, over-heated & under-shirted guys passed out on the grass.
talagaster
Forum Addict

Postby wallrock » Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:17 pm

talagaster wrote:On the other hand, an later beach assault would also you to hide behind the guts of the over-served, over-heated & under-shirted guys passed out on the grass.

I was one of those guys last year. I blame it on the increase in the size of the sample glass.
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wallrock » Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:25 pm

As for tickets, I bring a chair and a thermos of coffee and line up at the Capital Brewery. Once the line hits 200 the tickets are for all intents and purposes accounted for and the volunteers basically tell late arrivals to try elsewhere. I think last year it was full by 8:30 or 9. Around 10 or so everyone files into the beer garden and gets a numbered ticket representing your spot in line, and for two hours you get to hang out and drink.

You can also mail in your order and hope for the best.
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Athena » Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:32 am

Thanks everyone. I think I might try Capitol Brewery first since I like the idea of them counting the line and turning away people who won't get tickets. I should be able to get there early (let's hope anyway).
Athena
Forum Addict

Postby talagaster » Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:27 pm

Where ever you go to get tickets this year, make sure to bring an umbrella or even a poncho. It looks like it is going to rain all weekend. Great Taste isn't worth pneumonia, it's almost worth it but not quite.
talagaster
Forum Addict

Postby Athena » Mon May 02, 2011 10:16 am

Thanks everyone! I got my tickets. I went to Capitol Brewery just before 7:30am. The group that got there a few minutes later was told their tickets were iffy. Everyone was let in at 10am and everyone waiting in line was assured of tickets. It turned out there were a couple of people who were only getting one ticket so even a few late comers were able to get tickets there. From the twitter feed I was following it looked like several of the other venues had less people so I might try somewhere else if I go again next year. The weather wasn't too bad with the sunshine but it took me hours to get warm afterward.
Athena
Forum Addict

Next

Return to Beer, wine & cocktails