MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Monday, September 1, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 77.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Mystery neighbors

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Mystery neighbors

Postby narcoleptish » Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:36 am

Growing up there was one house on the block that I have no recollection of ever seeing the residents who lived there. I can recall every other neighbor easily but that house was always a mystery. My current neighborhood has quite a few of these people. On my own block there are at least 2 houses that I have never, in over 3 years, seen the people outside of their house. Not leaving for/returning from work, not mowing/shoveling, not taking out the garbage, nothing. The yards are often neat and taken care of but I never see them doing it. These people are often the same ones who never seem to open their shades and at night there is always the same 1 or 2 lights on.

A few years ago after walking my dog past a certain house by Wirth park at least 500 times, I caught a glimpse of the old guy, just his back, as he was going inside from grabbing the mail. I felt like I'd spotted Bigfoot.

Who are you people?

I mentioned this to a friend last night who pointed me to the Tom Waits song, "What's He Building?"
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Mystery neighbors

Postby gargantua » Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:35 am

When we uploaded you to Virtual Reality, we didn't think we had to cover every little fricken detail. You don't see anybody because we were too busy to populate everything in your VR world. You're not supposed to notice.

No refunds.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dust Mite Rodeo » Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:18 pm

A lot of older people really withdraw from the world.

I like to think that it is because of the psychological violence they've done to themselves by buying into society's norms.

Or maybe their knees hurt.
Dust Mite Rodeo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:30 pm

The creepy thing, of course, is after the police, FBI, and coroner have left with the three dozen bodies hidden away in the basement, the neighbors will all tell the national media the same thing "He was such a quiet person--I almost never saw him."

I advise you to rehearse more original comments now so you're ready when the time comes.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:42 pm

narcoleptish wrote: On my own block there are at least 2 houses that I have never, in over 3 years, seen the people outside of their house. Not leaving for/returning from work, not mowing/shoveling, not taking out the garbage, nothing. The yards are often neat and taken care of but I never see them doing it. These people are often the same ones who never seem to open their shades and at night there is always the same 1 or 2 lights on.

Grow houses?
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:49 pm

gargantua wrote:When we uploaded you to Virtual Reality,

You couldn't set me up with a nice little BMW? I gotta drive around in an old truck?

And this complexion? It would be nice to go out in the sun for more than 10 minutes..
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:08 pm

We know we are real because our lives are ordinary. Only those who lead extraordinary lives have reason to fear that they are a construct created for someone else's entertainment.
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby acereraser » Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:15 pm

green union terrace chair wrote:We know we are real because our lives are ordinary. Only those who lead extraordinary lives have reason to fear that they are a construct created for someone else's entertainment.

Shit. My mom told me I was special.

Shit.
acereraser
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:19 pm

green union terrace chair wrote:We know we are real because our lives are ordinary. Only those who lead extraordinary lives have reason to fear that they are a construct created for someone else's entertainment.

So that means people like Donald Trump aren't real? I'd always sort of suspected. I mean, how can they be real?
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:18 am

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:22 am

No one asked to see what you do on the weekends Ned. Lets try to keep it on topic.

Some how I ended up on a block without any of these people. We all get along pretty well and hang out quite a bit too. No one stays penned up in doors not even the old lady across the street.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby c02 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:05 pm

Had a neighbor once in a different town. New guy. We decided he was either a spy or a vampire. I did eventually see him in daylight and we spoke. Still, he could be a spy.
c02
Forum Addict

Postby gargantua » Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:56 pm

narcoleptish wrote:
gargantua wrote:When we uploaded you to Virtual Reality,

You couldn't set me up with a nice little BMW? I gotta drive around in an old truck?

And this complexion? It would be nice to go out in the sun for more than 10 minutes..

It could be worse. We could've put you in Rockford.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby sydgrl » Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:09 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:
narcoleptish wrote: On my own block there are at least 2 houses that I have never, in over 3 years, seen the people outside of their house. Not leaving for/returning from work, not mowing/shoveling, not taking out the garbage, nothing. The yards are often neat and taken care of but I never see them doing it. These people are often the same ones who never seem to open their shades and at night there is always the same 1 or 2 lights on.

Grow houses?

Ha! That's what I call the house down the street from us whose occupants we've never seen in 10 years of living on this street. What makes it weirder is it's the only house that doesn't have a mailbox. I've never even seen a light on at night. But, the yard is always mowed and tidy and the sidewalk shoveled in winter.
sydgrl
Forum Addict

Postby Maeve » Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:21 pm

The most respectectable-looking house on this block has "for rent" posted on the lawn every six months. I've never seen anybody going in there ... certainly never coming out. Macabre. [two dramatic, descending, organ chords]
Maeve
Forum Addict

Next

Return to Town Vibe