MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, December 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 30.0° F  Light Snow
Collapse Photo Bar

TR2N (Tron 2)

Comment on the Isthmus movie reviews, write one yourself, discuss upcoming flicks, recent DVDs, and other realms in the world of cinema.

Re: TR2N (Tron 2)

Postby MadMind75 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:34 am

Kenneth Burns wrote:There also was that talking Tron game for Intellivision.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sq8e-jQ3xqA
I remember Tron and Discs of Tron, not sure if I'd ever played Intellivision Tron. I didn't hear any talking.
MadMind75
Forum Addict

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:31 am

MadMind75 wrote:
Kenneth Burns wrote:There also was that talking Tron game for Intellivision.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sq8e-jQ3xqA
I remember Tron and Discs of Tron, not sure if I'd ever played Intellivision Tron. I didn't hear any talking.

There were 3 Tron games for Intellivision: Tron Deadly Discs, Tron Maze-A-Tron, and Tron Solar Sailer (and yes, stupid spellcheck, that's sailer with an "-er".) It is the last one to which Burns refers, one of just a handful of games released to utilize the Intellivoice Voice Synthesis Module, a massive flop in an era littered with them.
http://www.intellivisiongames.com/blues ... lar_sailer
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind75 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:36 am

That's cool, I never had an Intellivision myself, and although there are plenty of Intv games on Intellivision Lives! and Xbox Live's Game Room, games from licensed properties are, for the most part, lost in time - unless of course they're accompanied by a newly licensed product (the arcade games Tron and Discs Of Tron are included in the Gameboy Advance version of Tron 2.0 Killer App, and updated ports of both arcade games were released on Xbox Live Arcade).

From the looks of it, Intellivision had 3 games to Atari 2600's 1.

What's most humorous is, back then, Space Paranoids was the game every kid who saw the movie really wanted to see and play! And that didn't become a reality until 28 years later!
Now you can play Space Paranoids online!

Now the question will be, how long before gamers can play something that looks like Tron: Legacy at home?
MadMind75
Forum Addict

Postby O.J. » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:41 am

I love it when people have way too much time on their hands.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCmeQaXuFig
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind75 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:29 am

I'm a little miffed that Tron Legacy has taken a back seat to True Grit on Jeff Bridges press junket.
Just the fact that it's a sequel 28 years apart from the original deserves it's fair share of attention, moreso than a Coen Brothers remake of a John Wayne film - no matter how oscar worthy it's buzz may be.
Oh well, since I won't be seeing Tron Legacy until after the holidays, I guess the less I hear, read and see of it the better.
And I'll be seeing it no matter how mixed the reviews might be.
MadMind75
Forum Addict

Postby Athena » Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:08 am

Well, I went to go see it. My husband was very excited about it and wanted to see it on IMAX 3D on Friday. Unfortunately, the projector broke at the Star IMAX and they were only showing it in 2D. So we waited until Saturday night when they got it fixed. It would have helped if they had actually answered the phone to let us know what was going on instead of having to drive over there every couple of hours to see if it was fixed yet.

The 3D is very pretty, the music is good, but the rest of the movie is not. The CG Jeff Bridges just looked creepy especially in close up. The story was both simplistic and difficult to understand which isn't an easy feat. I still have no idea what was up with the Isotope people or whatever they were called and I thought it was extremely insensitive to reference the holocaust in a Tron movie. But the main problem with the movie was that it could have been so much more. Instead of using newer technology or referencing newer types of games and programs, this was just an action movie set in the universe of the original Tron. The only update was having light planes in addition to the light cycles. And why did they have the character of Tron if they weren't going to show his face or have him do much? And what was with the horrible overacting from Michael Sheen?
Athena
Forum Addict

Postby minicat » Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:40 am

I remember the original TRON sucking, very, very hard. How has this become a "legacy franchise?"
minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby c02 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:44 pm

What made the original Tron "great" in some regards was the fact the movie really brought computer graphics into movie-dom. It was a bit of a breakthrough. I haven't seen it since "those days" and I can imagine anyone born post Miami Vice thinks it's a bit corny in terms of technical production. The fact that the movie fed off of the 80's video arcade culture didn't hurt, either.
c02
Forum Addict

Postby MadMind75 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:44 pm

ACK! It's too early for bad reviews. Wait until after Christmas or at least until after I've had a chance to see it! :D
I've already committed myself to see this film in the theater, no backing out now!
MadMind75
Forum Addict

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:54 pm

Then it won't matter if you learn that AV Club, for example, gave it a D+.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind75 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:14 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:Then it won't matter if you learn that AV Club, for example, gave it a D+.

Oh BookPolice, why don't you just go see Black Swan, eat at one of your foo-foo gastropubs, then blog about how great your overpriced meal was afterwards.
MadMind75
Forum Addict

Postby uwstudent » Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:47 pm

I rather liked it. :D
uwstudent
Forum Addict

Postby green union terrace chair » Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:58 pm

c02 wrote:What made the original Tron "great" in some regards was the fact the movie really brought computer graphics into movie-dom. It was a bit of a breakthrough. I haven't seen it since "those days" and I can imagine anyone born post Miami Vice thinks it's a bit corny in terms of technical production. The fact that the movie fed off of the 80's video arcade culture didn't hurt, either.

Anyone who thinks the original Tron's graphics were "bad" and makes it a bad movie probably hates black-and-white films because they're "primitive."

SPOILER ALERT ... MADMIND, DO NOT READ ... SPOILER ALERT

I very much enjoyed Tron 2. The story certainly could have been much better, though, and had several loose ends. I hope it was unintentional and not a hamfisted set-up for Tron 3. Things such as the intro of Dillinger's son (I expected his program-self to appear in The Grid but he was never heard from again). Or how Tron's circuitry changes as he's sinking in the water. Is he still alive?

While the first film constantly used computer hardware and software terms to frame the plot (they had to get to the I/O tower to leave, etc.), this film seemed to try to skirt anything based in real computer terms. Did this all really happen inside of a computer? For all the viewer knows, Sam Flynn could have been transported to the parallel dimension of wind and ghosts.

And where "was" The Grid? Was it all running inside the old, 1980s equipment at Flynn's arcade? Or was it in ENCOM's servers, site of the original incursion?

Apart from all of that, I thought that it was a very successful film visually and remained faithful to the original while "evolving" naturally to the updated version. The 3D was also done well, mostly avoiding in-your-face effects and instead making a very deep visual space (it helps to sit as far back as possible at the 3D Imax).

Very funny, very good incorporation of Daft Punk. They did a great soundtrack and their appearance at the End of Line Club was funny without being too corny.

I look forward to the holographic / smell-o-vision / feelie release of TRON 3 in 2038.
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind75 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:27 am

Finally saw Tron Legacy on DVD about a week ago (still kinda disappointed I didn't catch it in 3D when it was in theaters).
I thought it was a worthy continuation, especially when compared to many other recent resurrected film franchises which failed to live up to expectations.
Although it wasn't perfect. Athena and Green Union Terrace Chair bring up some valid criticisms which I cannot argue with.

The whole "Isomorph" plot line was a bit ridiculous and nonsensical, swinging the pendulum much farther into the realm of fantasy and away from that sweet spot between fantasy and sci-fi.
What they were or how they came to be was extremely vague, which was probably a good thing because in attempting an explanation they'd just be digging themselves a deeper hole.
Is this Field Of Dreams ("Build It And They Will Come") or Jurassic Park ("Life Will Find A Way")?
Contains Spoilers! (Highlight to read)
Something unplanned that just spontaneously pops up within a computer environment is usually thought of as a bug - not a good thing, and certainly not the next step in human evolution.
A human-being becoming immersed in a virtual environment which somebody created - OK. Pulling a computer program out into the real world in the shape of a person - you lost me there.

Athena wrote:Instead of using newer technology or referencing newer types of games and programs, this was just an action movie set in the universe of the original Tron.

The decision not to incorporate current day advancements in real-world technology, computers, and the internet can be seen as either a brave excursion, or a cop-out and a missed opportunity. I can see both sides of the coin, but after having seen 3 movies in 3 weeks time based on or around the internet (The Social Network, Catfish, Middle Men), a film excised from the trailblazing and storied history of current day technology was welcomed.

green union terrace chair wrote:[Daft Punk] did a great soundtrack...

I absolutely agree. Original and successful while managing to avoid rehashing any of the main themes from Wendy Carlos' original score.

green union terrace chair wrote:I hope it was unintentional and not a hamfisted set-up for Tron 3. Things such as the intro of Dillinger's son (I expected his program-self to appear in The Grid but he was never heard from again).

That it is.
Last edited by MadMind75 on Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MadMind75
Forum Addict

Postby MadMind75 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:35 pm

It was cool that they included a Journey song (played off the jukebox in Flynn's Arcade), but they played it safe by choosing "Separate Ways", a song which everyone already knows. It was a missed opportunity to bring light to great songs off the Frontiers album which didn't get massive airplay. How about the title track off of Frontiers, or perhaps Edge Of The Blade?

Athena wrote:And what was with the horrible overacting from Michael Sheen?

The Michael Sheen character didn't quite sit right, and I'm not quite sure if that was because of his character or the fact that it was played by Michael Sheen and/or how he played the role.
So many have likened the character of Castor to being David Bowie-esque, that it would've made sense to just get Bowie himself to play the role.
It would've added more age and heft to a character who was supposed to have been around and know the ins-and-outs of the grid. And Bowie himself is no stranger to sci-fi and fantasy (The Man Who Fell To Earth, Labyrinth). Hell, maybe he could've even contributed a song or two to the soundtrack (much like Journey did with the first Tron).

Spoiler Alert! (highlight to read)The final scene where Flynn assimilates C.L.U. and subsequently explodes is a bit too reminiscent of The Matrix, where instead Neo jumps into Agent Smith's body and explodes.
MadMind75
Forum Addict

Previous

Return to Movies