MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, November 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 15.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Wool rug cleaning

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here

Wool rug cleaning

Postby Maeve » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:23 pm

Anybody have local recommendations as to where to take good quality wool rugs to be cleaned? They were kind of spendy and I'd like to refurbish them. (I'm fond of my two furry beast cats, but they are hell on rugs; damn dander -- sunlight, vacuuming and beating doesn't help much [the rugs, of course I mean].)
Maeve
Forum Addict

Re: Wool rug cleaning

Postby Maeve » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:36 pm

I do know a woman who vacuums her cat (with a low-impact can vac). She got the cat used to it as a kitten. Genius, I say. Start at the source.
Maeve
Forum Addict

Postby snoqueen » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:42 pm

No question: Gulessarian's by Regent St. at 8 Breese Terrace, 256-8000.

They have a special giant washing machine designed to launder Oriental rugs, which are natural fiber rugs. They will wash other types of rugs as well, if your rugs are the kind it'll work on. They can also mend damaged rugs using correct materials and hand techniques. They have done a beautiful job for me. Old local company, good family business, nationally known.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Maeve » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:56 pm

Many thanks, Sno!
Beautiful oriental rugs deserve to be preserved.
A collector was kind enough to gift the rugs to me over the years, and I was fortunate to get them. Their symbolism is magnificent, when I remember their history and meaning. Uplifting from the mundane, like magic.
Maeve
Forum Addict

Postby snoqueen » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:05 pm

The people at Gulessarian's will tell you the names of your rugs (the villages where they were woven -- names you can find right on the maps of current middle-east strife) and explain some of the images in the rugs and their history. Old vegetable-dye Orientals are a real treasure if that's what you have.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Maeve » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:56 pm

I look forward to discussing the rugs' history at Gullesarian's. Two are prayer rugs, with 108 symbol borders. Thank you. We have a whole lotta strife going on right now here in Wisconsin, but the middle-east artists are age-old masters at rising-above.

I like to dream, yes ...
Maeve
Forum Addict

Return to Catch All