MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, October 25, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 56.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Can someone explain this new developing stupidity?

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

Can someone explain this new developing stupidity?

Postby Endo Rockstar » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:03 am

Wondering if anyone else has noticed this trend.

So my office is smack dab in the middle of the Southeast Area Dorms. Last year and now again this year I've been noticing more and more dumbasses riding their bikes down the far right lane of Johnson and making a point to take up a full lane so they don't get squeezed into the curb.

What the fuck people? There are bike lanes on Dayton (1 block south) and Unviversity (1 block north). I just don't understand this, Johnson is a four-lane free for all, buses everywhere and some making the four lane change from one side to the other between Park and Lake.

Why the hell do these idiots see this as the best bike route?

-Dan Motor
Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Can someone explain this new developing stupidity?

Postby snoqueen » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:08 am

Ask the bikers who ride on Williamson Street (even when it's all torn up) instead of using the bike path one block north.

My best guess: It lacks the qualities of danger and difficulty so important to an urban pirate.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:55 am

Endo Rockstar wrote: Last year and now again this year I've been noticing more and more dumbasses riding their bikes down the far right lane of Johnson and making a point to take up a full lane so they don't get squeezed into the curb.

That drives me fucking nuts. I bike in almost everyday for most of the year so I'm not anti-bike. But that is just plain stupid. I've even seen people cut across a couple lanes of Johnson during rush hour.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby doppel » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:01 am

Just another way mother nature cleanses the gene pool.
doppel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Endo Rockstar » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:02 am

Stebben84 wrote:That drives me fucking nuts. I bike in almost everyday for most of the year so I'm not anti-bike. But that is just plain stupid. I've even seen people cut across a couple lanes of Johnson during rush hour.

Yeah, I bike to work most for spring/summer/fall. And I still don't get it. Maybe I'm getting old and my desire to be a red streak in the pavement has waned.

I'm dropping the folks who do this into the same category as a the kids to ride their moped after an ice storm. I decided many years ago that if I'm in my truck following some jackass on a moped who's out riding to class after a freezing rain or some freshly fallen slop that I will not feel bad if they low side around a corner and slide under my wheels.

-Dan Motor
Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby barreg » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:32 am

If you're heading through the isthmus, going down Johnson St is the fastest way through. Taking up a full lane is stupid (as would be cutting across several lanes), but "normal" riding 3 ft from the curb would not be.
barreg

Postby swoon_queen » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:58 am

snoqueen wrote:Ask the bikers who ride on Williamson Street (even when it's all torn up) instead of using the bike path one block north.

My best guess: It lacks the qualities of danger and difficulty so important to an urban pirate.

Indeed.

I was just contemplating this as I was driving down Jenifer Street headed downtown--with Willy torn up, it seems quickest after dropping my daughter off at Marquette to take Jeni most of the way, cutting over to Willy at Paterson or so. However, Jeni Street is notoriously narrow (barely fitting 2 normal cars depending on how big the parked vehicles are on either side) so both yesterday and today it was slow going as two bikers took up the entire right lane. When a car is coming from the opposite direction, the only thing a driver can do in that situation is slow down, I guess. I'm all for biking as opposed to driving and I do so myself on occasion in spring/summer/fall. But I was wondering why bikers just don't stick to the path/the bike blvd near Willy? is there an advantage to avoiding the path that I don't see as only a semi-regular commuter?
swoon_queen
Forum Addict

Postby BrianV66 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:29 pm

But I was wondering why bikers just don't stick to the path/the bike blvd near Willy? is there an advantage to avoiding the path that I don't see as only a semi-regular commuter?

I'm not a daily commuter, but I ride the Monona Loop a ton, and I like Jenifer street better becaust that bike path on the North side of Willy requires so much slowing down and stopping at each intersection. On Jeni, I just have to stop at the occasional stop sign (which I do!).
BrianV66

Postby rabble » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:53 pm

BrianV66 wrote:
But I was wondering why bikers just don't stick to the path/the bike blvd near Willy? is there an advantage to avoiding the path that I don't see as only a semi-regular commuter?

I'm not a daily commuter, but I ride the Monona Loop a ton, and I like Jenifer street better becaust that bike path on the North side of Willy requires so much slowing down and stopping at each intersection. On Jeni, I just have to stop at the occasional stop sign (which I do!).

Yeah, I know. My bus is right behind you patiently putt-putting along at five miles under the speed limit, waiting for you to get out of the way.

But if you're not a daily commuter maybe that's not you. Sure would be nice to have a paintball gun sometimes, though.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Crockett » Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:11 pm

rabble wrote:But if you're not a daily commuter maybe that's not you. Sure would be nice to have a paintball gun sometimes, though.

I hope gas goes to $10 a gallon you moron.
Crockett
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:19 pm

Crockett wrote:
rabble wrote:But if you're not a daily commuter maybe that's not you. Sure would be nice to have a paintball gun sometimes, though.

I hope gas goes to $10 a gallon you moron.

I hope you figure out what a "bus" is, you idiot.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:23 pm

barreg wrote:If you're heading through the isthmus, going down Johnson St is the fastest way through. Taking up a full lane is stupid (as would be cutting across several lanes), but "normal" riding 3 ft from the curb would not be.

No, it's still fucking stupid. One block over is Dayton, the other block over are the bike lanes. 3ft from the curb down that stretch of Johnson if unnecessary.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:41 pm

Time for a review of Kurt's First Law of Transportation Psychology:

1. Drivers think that most bicyclists and pedestrians are jerks.

2. Bicyclists think that most pedestrians and drivers are jerks.

3. Pedestrians think that most drivers and bicyclists are jerks.
Other than that, we're all OK.
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:52 pm

kurt_w wrote:Time for a review of Kurt's First Law of Transportation Psychology:

1. Drivers think that most bicyclists and pedestrians are jerks.

2. Bicyclists think that most pedestrians and drivers are jerks.

3. Pedestrians think that most drivers and bicyclists are jerks.
Other than that, we're all right.

Fixed it for ya.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby BrianV66 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:26 pm

But if you're not a daily commuter maybe that's not you. Sure would be nice to have a paintball gun sometimes, though.

My typical lake loop (in good weather...) is between 5:15 and 6:15 am weekdays, almost never see a bus...
BrianV66

Next

Return to Sports, Recreation & Biking