MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
kayaks
Friday, July 25, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 63.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Krispy Kreme Klosing

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!

Re: Krispy Kreme Klosing

Postby Stebben84 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:10 pm

sadiekat wrote:KK is so much better in theory- nothing satisfies the post-drinking sweet tooth like Greenbush, tho.

Sure you can get them in the stores, but that sucks compared to having them right after you buy them in one of their oil laden factories. Having it right off the conveyor belt is delicious. Otherwise they suck compared to the other doughnut factories in Madison, of which there are few, but good.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:09 am

The hot Krispy Kreme doughnut is overrated. It's a marketing conceit mainly.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:46 am

My grandfather has been known to lightly sauté Krispy Kremes in butter. Now that's a hot doughnut.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Athena » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:41 pm

I really miss hot Krispy Kreme's right off the belt. I think every Krispy Kreme within a reasonable driving distance is gone now. I have learned how to make a fairly decent version at home though when the cravings get too bad.
Athena
Forum Addict

Postby rabble » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:57 pm

I've had KK's donuts hot off the shelf, and thought they were every bit as good as every other fresh, hot pastry I've ever had.

Fresh hot pastry is great. It's just that I don't remember any difference between fresh hot kk or fresh hot any other pastry.

With the possible exception of my Aunt Madeline's rhubarb pie, which not even my cousin Gene would eat unless it was smothered in ice cream.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind75 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:35 pm

Speaking of Donuts, have the two planned 2011 Madison Dunkin' Donuts locations showed up yet? Kind of confused as to whether or not they're going to be stand-alone or placed inside of convenience stores.
MadMind75
Forum Addict

Postby Kenneth Burns » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:28 pm

Do I remember correctly that when Krispy Kreme pulled out of the long-discussed East Towne site, the would-be franchiser wrote a hilariously overwrought letter saying that Madison's onerous regulatory regime was to blame for the children not getting their donuts?
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind75 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:22 pm

Just a bit of info from their FB page that doesn't seem to have been stated elsewhere;

"Our Middleton location is our first tunnel oven store and has doughnuts delivered fresh twice a day from our West Allis location. The original glazed doughnuts are reheated and glazed at the Middleton store. This is our first foray with a tunnel oven store and we are hoping this location will prove to be very successful.

Our hours are Monday through Friday 6:00 AM to 8:00 PM and Saturday and Sunday we are open from 6:00 AM to 6:00 PM. The drive thru is only open during those hours."

So it's not a full-fledged Krispy Kreme location, nor is it open 24/7 like the West Allis location. FAIL.
MadMind75
Forum Addict

Postby TheBookPolice » Sun May 01, 2011 9:10 am

Aaanyway, yes Kenneth, I'm pretty sure you're right. I can't find the letter, but it was Glazed Investments LLC that was originally developing back in the early 2000's. And that whiny diatribe was quite funny.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Cooking & Food issues