MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Wednesday, July 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 69.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Your last five beers

Bars, wine, beer, cocktails, drunken escapades

Re: Your last five beers

Postby kochea7 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:05 pm

Leinenkugel's Amber Ale (can) - I needed something in a can for tailgating at a Brewer's game, this was on sale, not bad for the price.

Stone Cellar's Brown Porter - Visiting Appleton for the weekend, had this delicious porter from the local brewpub.

Potosi Cave Ale - At the Old Fashioned, you can't really go wrong with a $2.50 pint that has taste. It is more for a pint of PBR.

Lakefront's Black IPA - Also at the Old Fashioned, not bad it reminded me a bit more of a British ale with a nice hop & malt balance.

Several of my dad's homebrews - An Imperial Mild Ale, Doppelbock, Bourbon Barrel Porter, and an Old Luddite Strong ESB. You can't get more local than brewing it yourself.
kochea7

Postby TheBookPolice » Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:17 pm

Three Floyds Gumballhead (draught, Frequency). Very good, first time not from a bottle.

Potosi Pure Malt Cave Ale (draught, Old Fashioned). It was the special. A nice beer, if not one of my favorites. I like everything I've had from Potosi.

Great Dane Oud Bruin (draught, Hilldale). Sorry, but every one of their beers other than the porter tastes the same as the next. This was nothing close to the sour reds you can find at Brasserie V.

Dogfish Head Aprihop (bottle). A truly bittersweet beer. Despite the embarrassment of riches in Wisconsin, I'll miss DFH.

Bells Oberon (draught, Atlantis Taverna). A rite of spring.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bad Gradger » Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:39 pm

Ducatista wrote:Brouwerij 't IJ PaasIJ

I know it's not, but that looks like a Klingon brewery in Holland.
kochea7 wrote:Leinenkugel's Amber Ale (can) - I needed something in a can for tailgating at a Brewer's game, this was on sale, not bad for the price.

I've never been stuffy enough to say that cheap beer has no place in life. There are occasions - tailgating, camping, tubing - where a case of Leinie's or Miller is entirely appropriate.
Bad Gradger
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:10 pm

By the time I've written down the fifth beer, the fifth on the list has become the sixth and the first isn't on the list at all. This is a trick question, right?
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:16 pm

Bad Gradger wrote:I've never been stuffy enough to say that cheap beer has no place in life.
Quality or Quantity.
I do miss those $1.89 8-packs of Huber longnecks.
(And the 80 cent bonanza when one returned the empties.)
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Chinaski » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:54 pm

1) Furthermore: Fatty Boomblatty. Meh
2) Hinterland: Door County Cherry Wheat.It comes in a big bottle but says malted beverage on the side,not sure if that counts as beer
thumbs down.
3) Lake Louie Area Premium. I think this guy gets a lot of credit for starting out in his garage etc. but nothing to write home about.
4)Lagunitas: Wilco Tango Foxtrot. Surprisingly smooth for a high alcohol beer (7.8%abv)
5) Capitol Brewery: American Pale Ale $10.99 for a 12 pack of cans@ Woodmans. The perfect beverage to bide the time between lighting the charcoal and putting food on the grill.
Henry Chinaski

Postby buckyor » Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:29 am

Corona Light

Dos Equis Ambar

Warsteiner Dunkel

Julius Echter Hefeweizen

Einbecker Pilsner

I've also got a minikeg of Wurzburger Hofbrau that I'm trying to find an excuse to tap.
buckyor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:17 am

buckyor wrote:
I've also got a minikeg of Wurzburger Hofbrau that I'm trying to find an excuse to tap.

Well...it IS the weekend.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:46 am

OK, so here is the next five:

Scurvy IPA at Tyranena Brewing. Good beer, but the name...can't wait to see what's next....Rickets?

Ale Asylum Ballistic IPA on tap at the Glass Nickel on Atwood. Really satisfied my craving for hops.

Bell's Java Stout on tap, also at Glass Nickel. Tastes like it sounds...and it's 7.5% abv.

Central Waters Brewers Reserve Bourbon Barrel Stout - on tap at the Mason Lounge.

Ale Asylum Hopalicious, at home out of a bottle.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:59 am

Echo Tap:
Lake Louie Pale
Spotted Cow (ugh-there is a product NG makes that I like less)
Guinness

My fridge:
Oberon
Moon Man

Love love love the Potosi Pilsner in the bottle and the Cave Ale on tap (at Underground Kitchen and the OF). The pilsner is one of my recent faves, just out of it at the moment
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Lily » Sun May 01, 2011 12:01 am

New Glarus Spotted Cow

New Glarus Fat Squirrel (with hazelnut "overtones"- yum) Had this brand twice so it's #2 and #3 in my list.

Sand Creek Hard Lemonade-- this qualifies because it is a BEER with natural fruit juices added to it rather than a flavored malt beverage. I predict this is going to be one of my summer favorites.

Schlitz, the brand that went back to the 1960's Milwaukee recipe. Hey, it's really not bad and so close to payday it's a little kinder on my wallet. :)
Lily
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wallrock » Mon May 02, 2011 10:26 am

Weekend Update:
Ale Asylum Hoppalicious - on tap at the Midtown Pub yesterday, where I went for lunch following the Capital Brewery Great Taste ticket-buying.

Capital Dark - a couple pitchers split amongst friends on a Sunday morning in the Bier Garten. I was #134 in line at around 6:15 AM. We weren't let in until 10 but still managed a couple games of cribbage along with the pitchers before tickets went on sale at noon. Special thanks go to the group sitting at the table next to us, as they caught their fair share of windblown cards.

Potosi Fiddler Oatmeal Stout - I had a glass from a growler a friend picked up at the brewery on Saturday and brought to a party.

New Glarus Moon Man Pale - a couple of bottles to accompany a spirited game of bocce at my friend's birthday party late Saturday afternoon.

Dave's BrewFarm Select Lager - can. The best "lawnmower beer" in existence, and perfect for a windy Saturday despite the fact I was not actually mowing but instead helping to till the garden.
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Mon May 02, 2011 12:53 pm

In all honesty, after 4 hours at the Taste of Great Brewers event at The Harley Museum on Friday, I cannot recall the LAST 5. However, there were two notable highlights:
1) choklat stout- Southern Tier's Chocolate Imperial Stout. Seasonal release (Dec.). The best chocolate stout I've ever tried. Absolutely delicious. I MUST get my hands on some of this before December.

2) Whatever it was that was being served from a turkey baster after being sucked from the recesses of the bottom of an oak barrel. This was on my way out, and it got me to come back for seconds (I was denied thirds!). If anyone was there and has any info, I'd love to know exactly what it was.

To comply with topic, these were the last 3 before the tasting:
Lake Louie Warped Speed Scotch Ale- on tap at The Frequency
Capital Dark- bottle
Guinness- on tap at The Knuckledown
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Mon May 02, 2011 12:58 pm

Southern Tier makes great beer. I like their regular beers, but the creme brulee and pumpking are great too...and I'm not a pumpkin flavored beer guy.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Mon May 02, 2011 1:14 pm

I hadn't tried Southern Tier before this. I look forward to sampling their entire line. So far, the two "Blackwater" selections that I've had (choklat stout and jah*va) were very impressive.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Beer, wine & cocktails