MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Sunday, July 13, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 65.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Stamm House?

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!

Stamm House?

Postby shyguy » Thu May 05, 2011 8:52 am

Anyone know what's up with Stamm House in MIddleton, if anything? Did I miss an announcement or news article?

Good Friday a bunch of us headed there for their fish fry, but it was closed. Seemed like a funny night to be closed, fish fry during lent being usually a popular deal, more popular than than the usual Friday fish fry.
shyguy

Re: Stamm House?

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu May 05, 2011 9:14 am

Give them a call and ask.

http://www.stammhouserestaurant.com/
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Thu May 05, 2011 9:29 am

A to Z is already on it.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby shyguy » Thu May 05, 2011 10:43 am

Henry Vilas wrote:Give them a call and ask.

http://www.stammhouserestaurant.com/

Oh, duh, why didn't we think of that??

We called several times that afternoon to make a reservation and got no answer. Hence, the mystery. We didn't think it looked good.

Thanks, Book Police, for that link.

We always liked the Stamm House, it really wasn't in our regular rotation since it's the other side of town, but it was a neat place and the food was usually pretty decent.
shyguy

Postby Beaver » Thu May 05, 2011 10:51 am

I wonder why they closed I thought business was good. But I won't miss them. Their dinner menu was too heavy for my taste and it usually seemed too cold in there.
Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Thu May 05, 2011 10:56 am

Eating in Madison A to Z's Twitter post publishing the updated link uses the phrase "for the time being." I don't know if this means more than mere closure was indicated in the email, or if it's just an open question.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wallrock » Thu May 05, 2011 2:42 pm

If it is a "for the time being" relaunch I hope they tighten things up. I was a semi-regular several years ago when I lived a block away but I hadn't been back since a string of bad experiences in '07-'08. When I first moved out to Middleton in 2004 it was my favorite place and I still kind of miss their French Onion soup.
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Endo Rockstar » Thu May 05, 2011 3:00 pm

a copy of a note I wrote on my facebook:

March 25th 2011
Well Folks, its the end of an era. The Stamm House in Middleton has closed. Its been my home as a bartender for the better part of 5 years. There were times I hated the place, and times that I truly loved it. It was also the reason I met Emily over two years ago and for that I'm forever grateful. Because of the Stamm I've met people I never would have, and have been lucky enough to now call them friends. In the words of a certain neighbor: "Goodnight Stamm House!" I'll miss you.

Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Endo Rockstar » Thu May 05, 2011 3:06 pm

shyguy wrote:Anyone know what's up with Stamm House in MIddleton, if anything? Did I miss an announcement or news article?

Good Friday a bunch of us headed there for their fish fry, but it was closed. Seemed like a funny night to be closed, fish fry during lent being usually a popular deal, more popular than than the usual Friday fish fry.

Sorry about that. No one really knew it was going to end that quickly. We all thought we'd at least be able to squeak through Lent, but the writing was on the wall for the better part of 2 years. Sucks too, cause that staff was finally back up to snuff, the food was back to what it should have been all along, and god knows my pours behind the bar were more than fair =)

-Dan Motor
Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu May 05, 2011 3:20 pm

It's been closed for over a month and the local media has yet to report that. I guess that means the Stamm House hasn't been missed by most people.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Cooking & Food issues