MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, November 22, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 48.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Stalzy's Deli opened yesterday?

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!

Stalzy's Deli opened yesterday?

Postby kulgar » Mon May 09, 2011 12:34 pm

On Atwood replacing Africana. No listing in The Daily Page that I can find but the WSJ wrote it up over the weekend.

"New York" style deli is what everyone will say and although that probably is unfair to both Stalzy's and New York, it's an easy way to categorize.

MSC breads, what looked like excellent Bavaria Sausage Kitchen brats and franks. More importantly: home cured corned beef, pastrami, turkey pastrami, excellent coleslaws, kraut, beets, etc.

A small upscale offering of bottles of wine and NA drinks.

During the soft opening last week, it had that typical neighborhood feel of Atwood/Willy St, and the samples were very, very good. Given the monotony of sub, sub, sub and the usual suspects for sides, we (the corporate) and I personally am looking forward to the first real order.

Disclaimer: I am NOT in any way associated with the owners or employees, I got an invite through an acquaintance, and just met two of the owners Thursday. I generally only post when I like a place so it may sound like "pumping". Trashing I save for fruit bomb wines lists and the ersatz morning bun purveyors.
kulgar
Forum Addict

Re: Stalzy's Deli opened yesterday?

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon May 09, 2011 12:41 pm

We covered Stalzy's impending opening back in January.

http://www.thedailypage.com/daily/artic ... icle=31916

I've read elsewhere (someone who was there on Thursday as well) that Stalzy's bakes their own breads, but it's possible they'll be farming out some of the production.

The New York comparison is being drawn by the owners themselves.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Eye witnesses

Postby kulgar » Mon May 09, 2011 4:34 pm

Eye witnesses are highly inaccurate and those of us who only hear things are worse. I heard the same rumor and asked an owner which one of them was getting up at 4AM to bake bread for Sunday's 8AM opening, and he responded that MSC is doing that.

TBP, covering a restaurant opening four months before it opens is like announcing Krispy Kreme in 2002.....it's a TOUGH business. And so's publishing.
kulgar
Forum Addict

Postby McStubbins » Fri May 13, 2011 6:52 am

Website, w/ menu.

http://stalzysdeli.com/

12 bucks for a club sandwich? $2.50 for a side of potato salad?
McStubbins

Postby TheBookPolice » Fri May 13, 2011 8:14 am

McStubbins wrote:Website, w/ menu.

Those are described as "triple-decker" sandwiches. You could get a regular-decker Turkey and Cheddar, add bacon, for $8.50.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby CoffeeJones » Fri May 13, 2011 9:31 am

TheBookPolice wrote:
McStubbins wrote:Website, w/ menu.

Those are described as "triple-decker" sandwiches. You could get a regular-decker Turkey and Cheddar, add bacon, for $8.50.

I've gotta say if the sandwiches don't come with anything 8 or 9 bucks seems a little stiff. Unless the sandwiches are generously sized. Menu description doesn't say if anything comes with the sandwiches, and gives no indication of how much food you're getting. Frankly, I'd be happy getting a small portion for less and not walking away feeling like I was going into a food coma.

What are the portions like?
CoffeeJones

Postby boston_jeff » Fri May 13, 2011 9:53 am

These are pretty standard deli prices. Probably not going to be a place for those who are concerned about price or price comparisons. I've heard Subway has $5 footlongs.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Fri May 13, 2011 10:02 am

CoffeeJones wrote:I've gotta say if the sandwiches don't come with anything 8 or 9 bucks seems a little stiff. Unless the sandwiches are generously sized. Menu description doesn't say if anything comes with the sandwiches, and gives no indication of how much food you're getting. Frankly, I'd be happy getting a small portion for less and not walking away feeling like I was going into a food coma.

What are the portions like?

I have yet to visit, but are we reading the same menu?

TRIPLE DECKERS
For the brave. For the hungry.
Classic Club......................................12
Turkey, bacon, cheddar,
lettuce,tomato, mayo
Stalzy’s Triple................................. 15
Corned beef, pastrami, turkey
pastrami, swiss, creamy slaw,
russian dressing, rye
The Roast Beast..............................12
Roast beef, roast turkey, muenster,
sweet & sour slaw, creamy slaw,
horseradish mayo

Perhaps with the exception of the club, each of those sound like an awful lot of food. Plus, the leading description of that section of the menu.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Maeve » Fri May 13, 2011 2:56 pm

Damn, that was good.

I had hot pastrami on rye for lunch, with a side of potato salad. The pastrami was tender and not one bit gristly, spiced subtly and nicely, and well-marbled without over-the-top fattiness. The rye wasn’t dry or too dense; it paired well with the pastrami, and the caraway didn’t overpower it. (Can you tell I dislike dry, dense, caraway-drenched rye?) The sandwich came with a fresh crispy pickle.

The creamy potato salad is house-made, no Cisco here. Spuds done perfectly, lightly dressed and just the right amount of delicately-chopped ingredients. I would have ordered German potato salad but I didn’t see it on the chalkboard menu.

The space looks great. It’s plain, light and airy – green walls and lots of stainless steel. It’s very clean and welcoming.

Normally I wouldn’t spend $12 on a sandwich and potato salad (no drink), but I didn’t regret it at all. I wish I could have had a beer (they have a pretty good selection, but I was on the clock). Anyway, the pastrami is $8/lb. so it’s possible to take it home and make your own. I paid $9/lb. for pastrami at Jeny St. Market last week that wasn’t nearly as good – oh, it was good but Stalzy’s is especially tasty. They don’t have wait staff, orders are placed at the counter, and I didn’t see a tip jar anywhere.

I’ll be back to try potato pancakes, very soon.
Maeve
Forum Addict

Cisco makes routers, Sysco drives routes

Postby kulgar » Fri May 13, 2011 8:00 pm

Sorry about the dig, I used to get these two messed up myself.
kulgar
Forum Addict

Postby fennel » Fri May 13, 2011 10:18 pm

What's missing from this thread is the bread.

Since we're talking predominantly about sandwiches, the question that needs to be asked is "does the bread stand on it's own merits?"

I had a sandwich recently from the Electric Earth food cart. The filling was surprisingly good, but the bread was what I'd call Industrial Soft-Serve. Utterly disposable. Sheer colon glue.
They called it "Rye." Should I find that endearing, or simply Scooteresque? This implied a few rye berries pressed into the crust of the doughy lozenge more likely steamed than baked.

Our household has noticed that even Madison Sourdough's bread seems to have gone squishy in the past year.

Any sandwich makers out there, then? Arise ye!
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Mon May 16, 2011 9:34 am

There was a high-end deli on Monroe St. (Atlas?) in the late '90s. Good but expensive. I don't think it lasted very long.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Mon May 16, 2011 11:32 am

Ned Flanders wrote:There was a high-end deli on Monroe St. (Atlas?) in the late '90s. Good but expensive. I don't think it lasted very long.

Yup, Atlas Pasta. Mid 90s, not late. Tasty sandwiches and deli-case items, great cheese selection, spendy (to me, back then) provisions like truffle oil. I was sad to see it go.

Ned, if you liked Atlas, you should swing by Fromagination on the Square next time you're in Madison. Not as much ready-to-eat fare, but a much better cheese selection (as you'd expect) and similar provisions.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Mon May 16, 2011 11:52 am

I stopped on Saturday and had a pastrami on rye and got a reuben to go for Mrs Rabble. It was a little smaller than I expected and the rye wasn't as dense as I was expecting but the pastrami was great and there was a lot of it. A good sandwich and it filled me up. I'm not familiar with delicatessens so I don't know if it was on par with one of those big city places. I just know I don't buy a lot of nine dollar sandwiches so it's not going to be a regular lunch stop.

The wife said the corned beef had a lot fat on it but she was done with the sandwich before she was done complaining.

Definitely going to go again but this time probably pick up some fixins and make my own. And I'll ask if they could make the corned beef extra lean.

I hope they're still around next year. I'd like to watch them grow and adjust to the neighborhood. I think it's a good complement to the coffee shops and bakeries that have sprung up around there.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Mon May 16, 2011 12:19 pm

Ducatista wrote:
Ned Flanders wrote:There was a high-end deli on Monroe St. (Atlas?) in the late '90s. Good but expensive. I don't think it lasted very long.

Yup, Atlas Pasta. Mid 90s, not late. Tasty sandwiches and deli-case items, great cheese selection, spendy (to me, back then) provisions like truffle oil. I was sad to see it go.

Ned, if you liked Atlas, you should swing by Fromagination on the Square next time you're in Madison. Not as much ready-to-eat fare, but a much better cheese selection (as you'd expect) and similar provisions.

Definitely will. Thanks Duc.

As an aside, does anyone else notice that deli foods and pizza are a lot cheaper on the East Coast than here? I'm not talking about Manhattan, but other areas like PA/NJ? I I just checked the prices of one of my favorite places in NJ and there wasn't a sandwich over $7.95 with most being $6.50. That includes killer cheese steaks. All of their base pizzas are $10, with specialty pies at $13.

Are we just suckers or does it just "cost more" to do deli and pizza in the Midwest? If I ran I brat stand in Philly could I charge $7?
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Cooking & Food issues