MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Saturday, August 2, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 57.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Is Talula going to close?

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!

Is Talula going to close?

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue May 10, 2011 4:36 pm

Is Talula closing? I ask because one of my wife's coworkers is married to a cook at Talula and he told her that it will be closing soon. He got a job elsewhere because of that. Yet I just got a coupon from them in the mail (via the ValuPak).
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Is Talula going to close?

Postby supaunknown » Tue May 10, 2011 4:55 pm

I really wanted the food to be good and for that place to succeed. Instead, the meals I had were pretty bad, to the point where you wonder if anyone in the kitchen actually taste-tested the recipes.

Maybe that particular location is restaurant death.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby c02 » Wed May 11, 2011 12:41 am

I'm not sure that location is restaurant death. Hell, Moses celebrated his Bat Mizvah at CJ's back in the day. That place was around forever. Sometimes it's location, sometimes it's just plain good service and good food. When Babes moved from the quaint Heritage Square location and into to the old Red Lobster spot on Schroeder, everyone thought it was the end of Babes. Every restaurant in that location had died a miserable death. I think Babes is still going strong over there.

On the flipside, Babes East looks like it has added it's name to the Damons/Tilted Kilt sacred burial ground in front of Target. Now that is a location that may be doomed until other restaurants move much closer.

The Talula property just seems so large in this day and age. Once upon a time CJ's was the only spot around and the size fit. It was nearly the edge of town back then (early 70's).
c02
Forum Addict

Postby snoqueen » Wed May 11, 2011 1:36 am

Talula's doesn't seem all that huge when you get inside. Unfortunately it's as dark as a closet and the food wasn't very good.

It's just an old-time dining concept in a faster age. The location is OK, right next to an industrial park full of hungry potential diners. But with Culvers right across the street for those wanting a quick meal in a room with actual natural light, you can see what most people prefer.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby c02 » Wed May 11, 2011 6:51 am

I was referring more to the size of the property/lot than the actual restaurant. It just seems like a lot unused space to pay taxes on.

Comparing Talulas to Culvers is a bit like comparing going to the movies to renting from blockbuster. If one want a sit down meal with a waitperson one isn't venturing to Culvers. The fast food set isn't/wasn't going to Talulas in the first place. The closest competitors of a more comparable variety would be the Cottage Cafe and Dairyland. That said, I'm not even sure they compare as they are more 'diner' type restaurants and don't serve alcohol. Perhaps the Great Dane has something to do with the perceived downturn?
c02
Forum Addict

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed May 11, 2011 8:53 am

c02 wrote:On the flipside, Babes East looks like it has added it's name to the Damons/Tilted Kilt sacred burial ground in front of Target. Now that is a location that may be doomed until other restaurants move much closer.

As an aside: that space will reopen as My Buddies.

My theory on this space and others like it is that, so long as there is no other visible "man" option around, a sports bar in the parking lot of Target/Michael's Crafts/Bed Bath and Beyond will always be viewed (subconsciously?) as the place for men on a short leash. And that's not a perception a sports bar can successfully bear for too long.

The beef I have with Talula is that they miss their price point too often. A nine dollar BLT? Consider that a bacon cheeseburger is a dollar more than a regular cheeseburger--a dollar for bacon. It follows, then, that you're paying for $8 in non-bacon costs for that BLT. Hardly seems appropriate.

Their bar is a great hangout spot, though.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Wed May 11, 2011 9:08 am

TheBookPolice wrote:As an aside: that space will reopen as My Buddies.

This doesn't seem like the kind of place that will be able to meet its 30% alcohol/ 70% food liquor license stipulation.

http://www.mybuddiesbar.com/madison.html
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed May 11, 2011 9:19 am

O.J. wrote:This doesn't seem like the kind of place that will be able to meet its 30% alcohol/ 70% food liquor license stipulation.

http://www.mybuddiesbar.com/madison.html

To say nothing of evoking this commercial every time I read the name.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuinqB9z3JI
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby QuantumWeaver » Wed May 11, 2011 9:21 am

CJ's was around for a while, but it wasn't the original occupant. "Back in the day" it was the Pig's Ear if I recall correctly.
QuantumWeaver

Postby BrianV66 » Wed May 11, 2011 9:54 am

I've always thought that what Talula's needed (besides an improvement in quality) is another competitor on the North side of Cottage Grove Rd. You know how there's often a Hampton Inn right across the street from a Mariott? Talula needs another draw nearby just to increase traffic.

Anyone remember when the flat office building next to Talula's was Bridgeman's? I remember stopping after baseball games for shakes as a kid.
BrianV66

Postby c02 » Wed May 11, 2011 11:12 am

YES....sorry, the Pigs Ear. Yes I remember Bridgemans. Want to get a bit more nostalgic? Anyone remember "Twinkie Hill?"
c02
Forum Addict

Postby workboy7 » Tue May 17, 2011 3:17 am

http://www.mybuddiesbar.com/Snyderdenial.pdf

Maybe they can call it "A Place For Buddies".
workboy7
Forum Addict

Postby radtek » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:13 pm

I had a feeling it wouldn't be too long before they closed. I was there in April and found ABC gum attached to my nicely warmed roll. GROSS. Our server told us three times the manager would be over to speak with us. We never saw him. She offered us "free dessert", but we declined. In the end we were not charged for our drinks. (three beers and a soda) NOT impressed.
radtek

Postby EastSideTom » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:16 pm

I believe the "My Buddies" info is in response to an application to open a new place in the Babe's/Damon's building over by Target. I guess it's not gonna happen.
EastSideTom
Forum Addict

Postby lukpac » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:17 am

EastSideTom wrote:I believe the "My Buddies" info is in response to an application to open a new place in the Babe's/Damon's building over by Target. I guess it's not gonna happen.

It's open (or opening soon)...
lukpac
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Cooking & Food issues