MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Saturday, September 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 66.0° F  Light Rain
Collapse Photo Bar

Jade Mountain Cafe - Bubble Tea

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!

Jade Mountain Cafe - Bubble Tea

Postby Logjam » Wed May 11, 2011 7:45 am

Jade Mountain Cafe recently opened in my neighborhood, in the former spot of Nilda's Chocolates on E. Johnson at North Street.

I miss Nilda's but the bubble tea at Jade Mountain is tasty+. I tried both the black and red tea, both good but prefer the black. This stuff will be perfect for hot summer mornings (its served cold). I don't really know anything about bubble tea, how its normally served, but this stuff is damn good.

Interior is very similar to Nilda's in terms of using the space, its not very big in there, a handful of tables and some outdoor seating on the patio.

It might be a tough location so I hope they make it.
Logjam
Forum Addict

Re: Jade Mountain Cafe - Bubble Tea

Postby Detritus » Wed May 11, 2011 8:07 am

I live in the neighborhood, and I have to say it sure looks like a winning business. They seem to have a steady stream of customers, and on the weekends entire carloads of Taiwanese students show up to get the bubble tea. They also have coffee drinks and Stella's bakery for the less adventurous, and open early enough (and stay open late enough) to catch the usually coffee shop crowd.

I talked with the two guys who run the place, and they seem to have thought through things carefully before opening, which is a good sign. I liked Nilda and loved her chocolates, but she resisted doing obvious things, like being open regular hours, that might have staved off the inevitable. I don't think these guys will have the same problems.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby prenticeberge » Thu May 12, 2011 4:55 pm

I lived in Taiwan from 1900-2002. Jade Mountain Cafe is the real deal and makes really good red bubble tea. Stopped by for the first time last Sunday with my family who all were very happy to have a little bit of Taiwan to go and visit here in Madison.
prenticeberge

Postby Madsci » Thu May 12, 2011 5:02 pm

prenticeberge wrote:I lived in Taiwan from 1900-2002.

Did you find the fountain of youth there?
Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Fri May 13, 2011 5:52 pm

Be glad they got the place open. I heard the city made them jump through lots of hoops to open a simple little tea shop. Tha Basement opened and operated their store/public nuisance, no problem, but we can't let these tea people just walk in and start bettering the neighborhood without turning the screws a little.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby john_titor » Fri May 13, 2011 7:30 pm

www.yelp.com wrote:Hours:

Mon-Fri 7 am - 8 pm

Sat 8 am - 9 pm

Sun 10 am - 5 pm

I should take my kids out there this weekend. Who doesn't like bubble tea?
john_titor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Sat May 14, 2011 5:21 pm

john_titor wrote:
www.yelp.com wrote:Hours:

Mon-Fri 7 am - 8 pm

Sat 8 am - 9 pm

Sun 10 am - 5 pm

I should take my kids out there this weekend. Who doesn't like bubble tea?

I can handle bubble tea for about half of it and then I'm totally done with all that tapioca. It's fun for a while, then it begins to be too much.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Cooking & Food issues