MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, October 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 45.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

King & Mane is closing, but nevermind that

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!

King & Mane is closing, but nevermind that

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue May 10, 2011 3:53 pm

http://host.madison.com/entertainment/d ... 002e0.html

The real question is what's going to become of the PBR-battered tilapia taco?

Other valid questions include:

-Why did King & Mane really decide to use the bizarre "gastro-cantina" as a descriptor of style?

-Why, given that that name has almost no independent meaning, are the owners apparently surprised that some people didn't know what to expect upon entering?

-Why did King & Mane never acquire anything more than a corner of Lombardino's website?

-Why do the owners think switching to a burger model is going to distinguish them on the Square? Or do they just think it'll keep the people who still don't know The Local closed happy when they wander in?

-But really, what's going to happen to the PBR taco?
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Re: King & Mane is closing, but nevermind that

Postby green union terrace chair » Tue May 10, 2011 4:19 pm

Sounded like an English Pub, but served "Mexican and Spanish" food along with Wisconsin beers? Yeah, I never got it either.
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue May 10, 2011 4:25 pm

green union terrace chair wrote:Sounded like an English Pub, but served "Mexican and Spanish" food along with Wisconsin beers? Yeah, I never got it either.

Another good question would be: why'd all the Spanish stuff leave the menu? That was what gave K&M any chance of drawing me in to further menu exploration. The kind of awful queso fundido certainly wasn't going to do the trick.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Just to chime in on death spot restaurants

Postby kulgar » Tue May 10, 2011 7:51 pm

I can't even remember back before Luigi's but was there one or two? TBP to the rescue!

I always found service (generally better, although not always great, outside after Farmers Market) a tad spotty. Maybe it's the split floors? I think it was the Local where we once walked through an empty front room, past the bartender and said, "hi", went back to the bar for a menu, and then walked out ten minutes later after just a nod from a waitress at the 4 minute mark in an empty house. It's got to be cursed...bad karma from killer whisky during Prohibition or something.

I believe, may be wrong, that even mighty Food Fight gave that location a run.
kulgar
Forum Addict

Postby Ducatista » Tue May 10, 2011 8:23 pm

Yup, Luigi's was a Food Fight restaurant.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby meowzamusic » Wed May 11, 2011 4:08 am

Turn it into a damn hair salon as the name always suggested.
meowzamusic
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Wed May 11, 2011 9:36 am

My one trip in there was atrocious all around. Indifferently prepared (what I got was overcooked, and for me that's near-impossible) and bad tasting food, along with lazy, half-ass service in a half-empty joint. Usually I'm pretty forgiving of newer restaurants on a first trip, but that was a case where a second chance didn't seem at all deserved.
minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Athena » Wed May 11, 2011 9:39 am

I love the Tipsy Cow name, but why would they want to be just another burger place? There's a ton of them on the square right now and yet another isn't going to draw people in. I'll admit that they weren't high on my list of places to go anyway as I was one of the people that didn't know what kind of food they had, but if they had advertised themselves as really good quality tacos then I would have gone.
Athena
Forum Addict

Postby Bad Gradger » Wed May 11, 2011 10:11 am

This "Tipsy Cow" idea sounds truly innovative...almost like what you would see in a local tavern.
Bad Gradger
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Wed May 11, 2011 11:16 am

Kind of off topic, but from the madison.com article:

...like perennial favorite New Glarus' Spotted Cow...

Who made this beer a perennial favorite? The best I can say about it is meh. Seems like every party/picnic/event I go to must include the Cow. Is my taste really that out of step, or is it just an easy, local default beer? Any Cow lovers care to weigh in?
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Wed May 11, 2011 11:20 am

Ducatista wrote:Kind of off topic, but from the madison.com article:

...like perennial favorite New Glarus' Spotted Cow...

Who made this beer a perennial favorite? The best I can say about it is meh. Seems like every party/picnic/event I go to must include the Cow. Is my taste really that out of step, or is it just an easy, local default beer? Any Cow lovers care to weigh in?

I couldn't agree more. Much like Stella Artois, I think people drink it because of its name.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Wed May 11, 2011 11:58 am

Agreed. I've never cared for Spotted Cow. The response to it reminds me of the reponse to Leinie's Red in the early 90's. I think people drink it because it's "not a standard domestic" more than for the taste of it. It seems to be popular with those who want to portray an image of having an adventurous taste in beer.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed May 11, 2011 12:38 pm

jman111 wrote:Agreed. I've never cared for Spotted Cow. The response to it reminds me of the reponse to Leinie's Red in the early 90's. I think people drink it because it's "not a standard domestic" more than for the taste of it. It seems to be popular with those who want to portray an image of having an adventurous taste in beer.

It's a great mom beer.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby robbie webber » Wed May 11, 2011 2:05 pm

I always liked King and Mane, and one reason was that they had food items that were not the size and weight of a burger. A couple of tacos was just about perfect for "I want something to eat, but not a full meal." Salads just aren't what I want to go with a beer, and fries - or other fried items - are so everyday, not to mention greasy. The tacos were tasty and just enough.

On the subject of Spotted Cow, my description has always been, "It's for people that don't really like beer, but want to drink a micro brew." I'm not a big fan of wheat beers in general, and Spotted Cow was just about the bottom of the pile even in that category. It pains to no end to visit a bar that has a bunch of Bud/Miller/Lennie's products and one micro brew: Spotted Cow.
robbie webber
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Wed May 11, 2011 4:41 pm

robbie webber wrote:On the subject of Spotted Cow, my description has always been, "It's for people that don't really like beer, but want to drink a micro brew." I'm not a big fan of wheat beers in general, and Spotted Cow was just about the bottom of the pile even in that category. It pains to no end to visit a bar that has a bunch of Bud/Miller/Lennie's products and one micro brew: Spotted Cow.

Spotted Cow is a non-offensive, somewhat unusual beer for someone who wants to "try something different" but thinks that Miller High Life is too hoppy.

Oh and there is a cow on it.
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Cooking & Food issues