MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, October 24, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 49.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Narrowing Willy st.

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Re: Narrowing Willy st.

Postby barney » Fri May 06, 2011 9:56 am

Having just returned from my first rush hour experience heading east on John Nolen (post 1-way Willy), I'm reminded of one of whatshisname's (rockhopper) ideas about closing Eastwood Dr and how all traffic could possibly be routed down E Wash since it has been redone and widened. I thought about this as I idled on John Nolen just past the tunnel, waiting in the blocks long line of cars to get on E Wash.

I think traffic engineering might consider lengthening the green light from S Blair onto E Wash while Willy is closed. Not being a good idler I opted for the zig zagging E Wison/E Main/Winnebago route with about 100 other people.

Part of that back up is from people avoiding the clusterfuck from the lane closure on East Johnson by Carroll Street that backs up traffic well past Park Street during rush hour. And then you've got extra traffic on East Wash from people avoiding Packers lane closures. I'd take old Sherman Ave to get to my house, but that's closed too. Brilliant people, just fucking brilliant.
barney
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Fri May 06, 2011 10:11 am

barney wrote:Part of that back up is from people avoiding the clusterfuck from the lane closure on East Johnson by Carroll Street that backs up traffic well past Park Street during rush hour. And then you've got extra traffic on East Wash from people avoiding Packers lane closures. I'd take old Sherman Ave to get to my house, but that's closed too. Brilliant people, just fucking brilliant.

I was thinking the same thing the other day. Who thought it was a good idea to do construction on this many streets leading to the Isthmus. Horrible planning. Traffic is backed up everywhere.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Fri May 06, 2011 10:14 am

I've often wondered if the people who plan the construction projects/road closures in this city actually have to commute through the areas that are affected by said closures. Look, I understand that roads need to be maintained and improved, and that utility work needs to be done. I just wish that the work could be staged so that multiple routes through a narrow isthmus are not taken away AT THE SAME TIME!

It wastes people's time, and it also wastes a lot of gas while idling. Given the current price of gas, it's like people are sitting in their cars burning dollars. And polluting.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Fri May 06, 2011 10:22 am

The west side is laughing at us this summer. They got theirs over with in 2010.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Fri May 06, 2011 11:00 am

Stebben84 wrote: Who thought it was a good idea to do construction on this many streets leading to the Isthmus.

Some guy named Dave, isn't it? Seems like sooner or later he'd have had to at least glance at an overview map and notice there's a whole lot of construction constriction going on.

He probably asked about it, was told "Yeah but we gotta get it done this year" by people who don't live here and who make more money if there's more construction, and said okay.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby barney » Thu May 12, 2011 10:45 am

barney
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Town Vibe