MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Thursday, August 21, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 67.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

King & Mane is closing, but nevermind that

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!

Re: King & Mane is closing, but nevermind that

Postby Ducatista » Wed May 11, 2011 4:57 pm

green union terrace chair wrote:...thinks that Miller High Life is too hoppy.

Ha! That made me snort.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Wed May 11, 2011 5:04 pm

Ducatista wrote:
green union terrace chair wrote:...thinks that Miller High Life is too hoppy.

Ha! That made me snort.

I just have to add to the pile on Spotted Cow because I hate it so much. I think it is a creature of successful marketing, not unlike Supper Club which is also an affront to craft beer.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Wed May 11, 2011 5:07 pm

These varieties seem to be examples of the (seemingly contradictory) craft beer for the masses tactic. Reminds me a bit of the Plank Road Brewery approach to "craft beer."
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

No one ever went broke underestimating the taste of the Amer

Postby kulgar » Wed May 11, 2011 5:41 pm

We can be really harsh about this, but HLM had it right: "No one ever went broke underestimating the taste of the American public".

Given that 40+ years of abuse lead me to quit drinking beer, add in 20 years of marketing, and that my good friend used to schedule the 100+ brands (labels) that came out of Heilleman's three recipes, I'm a bit of an authority on the subject. People drink Stella because it has some taste and more cache than Bud ( but now with the same S. African (once removed, I can't believe the Belgian brewers are happy about that) owners).

Cow is THE reason for the success of New Glarus Brewery and it's 80% marketing and 20% reliably drinkable beer. Island Wheat kept Capitol out of bankruptcy for the 2nd or 3rd time. So with that bankruptcy avoidance, Kirby finally realized that hop heads are the smallest segment at the top of the pyramid, and to survive, you have to serve the American public Island Wheat and Supper Club. I think Supper Club is awful, but Island Wheat convinced me to quit drinking beer (incipient celiacs?) so I'm thankful for that. Thanks, Kirby.

You should complain to the owner or manager, not the bartender, if your favorite, or possible favorite, haunt doesn't serve better beers. But they're all in it for the money and they're going to serve what people drink.

I did run into a restaurant wine buyer who has the idea, like Star Liquor, that she can change the taste preferences of the Madison consumers, and I was glad to hear someone be that idealistic.

So talk to the managers/owners and tell them your preferences. Of course, unfortunately, if you and your friends don't buy it, it won't be on tap after that first barrel.
kulgar
Forum Addict

Postby MadMind75 » Wed May 11, 2011 7:32 pm

Coinciding with Al Reichenberger's 70th Birthday, the proprietors of Visions have announced the resurrection of The Dangle Lounge at 102 King Street.
MadMind75
Forum Addict

Postby kweetech » Wed May 11, 2011 10:11 pm

I don't really understand the hatred for Spotted Cow. Its not my favorite..but I would never say I hate it..hate is too strong of a word to describe any beer.

Its a farmhouse ale...it is what is. It appeals to a broad demographic, and is a great gateway beer....just like Fat Tire, Sierra Nevada Pale ale, Oberon etc.
It makes money..and affords breweries the ability to make more interesting less profitable beers...
kweetech
Forum Addict

Postby Athena » Thu May 12, 2011 9:31 am

Spotted Cow is a good beer to introduce people to other types of beer who have only had Bud Light their whole life. It's different enough but not so different as to not taste like a beer to them. And I like Spotted Cow. I prefer a real wheat beer but Spotted Cow is nice. I like Supper Club and Island Wheat too and would drink them more if they didn't give me headaches (I think it's the hops, but I'm not sure). I don't see why someone who likes craft beer can't like the more mainstream varieties too.

There's a similar thing in the rose world with Knockout roses. The 'true' rose lovers hate Knockouts because they're boring and take all the space in the nurseries who no longer carry the more interesting varieties. But regular people love Knockouts because they're very little work and look similar to all the other shrubs but with more flowers. There's nothing wrong with the rose itself, but more the attitude that people have towards it.

While I do hate Knockouts, I have much less hatred for Spotted Cow. I think the difference is that I feel a lot of places that have Spotted Cow wouldn't have a craft beer at all if it didn't exist.
Athena
Forum Addict

Postby rabble » Thu May 12, 2011 10:21 am

Athena wrote:Spotted Cow is a good beer to introduce people to other types of beer who have only had Bud Light their whole life. It's different enough but not so different as to not taste like a beer to them. And I like Spotted Cow. I prefer a real wheat beer but Spotted Cow is nice. I like Supper Club and Island Wheat too and would drink them more if they didn't give me headaches (I think it's the hops, but I'm not sure). I don't see why someone who likes craft beer can't like the more mainstream varieties too.

For some reason in my old age I've gone almost exclusively over to wheat beers, and Crop Circle is at the top of the list. The Old Fashioned has one called Dancing Man that's almost as good and Ale Asylum has another great one but it's seasonal.

Island Wheat, Oberon, and Spotted Cow don't even taste like wheat beers to me. If they're all I can get I'll ask if there's Guinness, and if not go with a mixed drink or cider.

I suppose this thread should be moved over to the Your Last Five Beers thread. But here is good too.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Thu May 12, 2011 10:36 am

If you like Crop Circle, have you tried Hacker-Pschorr? I especially like their Dunkle Weisse, but if the lighter varieties are more your thing, give the Hefe Weisse a try.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Thu May 12, 2011 10:46 am

This thread was started as kind of a silly threadjack anyway, so go nuts.

But I will say that we had a fine turnout to the Wisconsin-style occupation and protest to save the PBR taco (searchable on Twitter under the #savethepbrtaco hashtag, if you're nasty) on Wednesday night. Enough folks showed up that the staff gave us the big table in the front room despite it being closed for remodeling. I'd say about 13 people, ordering something just shy of 50 PBR tacos. I think we got the message across. Kept their kitchen going until the very end of the night.

Just like the Capitol occupation, the staff working at King and Mane were fully supportive of our cause; we'll have to take our concerns a little higher to get resolution. If Mike Huebsch shows up and installs bolts to keep the fryer basket from being removed from the oil, he's gonna hear about it from us.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby barney » Thu May 12, 2011 10:51 am

The mentions of Great Dane and their beers bring up a question from me.

I had a Peck's Pilsner a couple of weeks back that had a very smoky aftertaste. Like I thought I had just smoked a couple of Winstons.

They were incredibly busy, otherwise I would've probably said something, so I just drank it and washed it down with water. I haven't had one for a longggggg time, so I can't remember if it is supposed to taste like that.

Is it?
barney
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Thu May 12, 2011 11:46 am

barney wrote:The mentions of Great Dane and their beers bring up a question from me.

I had a Peck's Pilsner a couple of weeks back that had a very smoky aftertaste. Like I thought I had just smoked a couple of Winstons.

They were incredibly busy, otherwise I would've probably said something, so I just drank it and washed it down with water. I haven't had one for a longggggg time, so I can't remember if it is supposed to taste like that.

Is it?

No, unless the brewery decided to make a change. Peck's is what I used to go to when I was in the mood for a solid pilsner. Had one just last week, and it was just OK. I didn't notice a smoky aftertaste in mine.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby swoon_queen » Thu May 12, 2011 11:57 am

I like Spotted Cow for its drinkability. A pitcher of Spotted Cow or Oberon on the Terrace sure beats a pitcher of Miller or Leinie's. However, a pitcher of my favorite beer (which fluctuates; right now I'm all about New Holland's Dragon's Milk or Lagunitas' Brown Shugga, but I'm sure it will shift with the season) would be way too filling and, since I generally prefer 7%+ ABVs, my night on the Terrace would probably end with me passed out on a picnic table.

Then again, I'm a mom, so maybe it's the "mom beer" thing.

As far as King and Mane, although I had two horrible experiences there and then didn't return (despite the lure of PBR tacos, which sound delish) I do think a very good burger joint just off the square is not entirely unwelcome. For all the snark about "oh, this is just what the square needs! another burger joint!" I'm not sure there really *is* a great burger joint downtown. Love the burgers at Old Fashioned-- but I'd never call OF a burger joint. Same with Graze/Marigold/Cooper's/Great Dane/Zanders... Am I missing something? The other couple places where I've had good burgers near the square (Argus/Echo) are primarily bars. Not to say the Tipsy Cow name isn't completely ridiculous (it is) or that the decor they're slathering all over the corner isn't completely hideous (it is) but this might be the place my dad and brothers are all yearning for when they visit me- focus on burgers and fries, a bit of a gourmet twist, good, fresh, local ingredients- right?
swoon_queen
Forum Addict

Postby green union terrace chair » Thu May 12, 2011 12:45 pm

swoon_queen wrote:Then again, I'm a mom, so maybe it's the "mom beer" thing.

Now there's an untapped market.

I like Supper Club when I just want a nice, clean pilsner with more flavor than a macrobrew.
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind75 » Thu May 12, 2011 12:58 pm

Ducatista wrote:Yup, Luigi's was a Food Fight restaurant.

I had always wanted to try Luigi's, just never got around to it. What that corner really needs is a 24 hour diner!
MadMind75
Forum Addict

PreviousNext

Return to Cooking & Food issues