MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, November 27, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 19.0° F  Partly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

New BBQ joint coming to town

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!

Re: New BBQ joint coming to town

Postby c02 » Thu May 12, 2011 9:29 am

Little side note about the DCR Great Dane. I'm fairly sure one can get their food delivered down to the sandwich shop next to baggage claim if you ask nicely.
c02
Forum Addict

Postby Huckleby » Thu May 12, 2011 11:56 am

This town needs another BBQ joint like it needs another Mexican restaraunt.

I really like the food at Fat Jack's and Smokey Jons.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby eriedasch » Thu May 12, 2011 12:24 pm

Huckleby wrote:This town needs another BBQ joint like it needs another Mexican restaraunt.

I really like the food at Fat Jack's and Smokey Jons.

This town needs another mediocre BBQ like it needs another Mexican restaraunt. But I feel we could use a real BBQ joint like Porky Pine Pete's or The Rendezvous in Memphis.

I'll admit to enjoying a few all-you-can eat meals at Fat Jacks many years ago before I understood what good slow cooked ribs are supposed to taste like.

Now my take on ribs is this: if you have to drown them with sauce just to give them some taste, I'll pass.

Smokey Jons has been hit and miss for me. I need to give them another shot, but last few visits have been very grisly. Admittedly it has been awhile since I ate there.
eriedasch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu May 12, 2011 12:58 pm

eriedasch wrote:Smokey Jons has been hit and miss for me. I need to give them another shot, but last few visits have been very grisly. Admittedly it has been awhile since I ate there.

I say the same thing about Famous Dave's.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Thu May 12, 2011 1:09 pm

I am by no means a rib connoisseur, but the one time I tried them at Famous Dave's I was appalled. That a "barbecue" joint would serve such an inferior meal was astounding. The other meats were decent, but nothing exceptional.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby eriedasch » Thu May 12, 2011 1:36 pm

I feel the same about Famous Dave's as I do with Fat Jack's. Their ribs basically suck unless you drown them in sauce. But Famous Dave's has a couple more sauces to choose from over Fat Jack's if that makes any difference.

The one BBQ chain I will continue to visit on occasion is Texas Roadhouse. Yeah I probably lost all BBQ cred with that statement, but every time they are consistantly good, fall off the bone and smokey tasting. I can't stand the atmosphere but do enjoy their ribs.
eriedasch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Thu May 12, 2011 5:22 pm

I'm surprised to see people consider Famous Dave's to be as good as Smokey John's or Fat Jack's.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu May 12, 2011 5:33 pm

Huckleby wrote:I'm surprised to see people consider Famous Dave's to be as good as Smokey John's or Fat Jack's.

All three are bad (or at least not good enough for repeat visits). Like others, I miss PPP, and Big Mama's and Uncle Fat's before that.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Thu May 12, 2011 7:11 pm

Curious that the restaraunts judged to be "bad" are the ones that stay in business.

Its a very price-competitive business. Fat Jacks, at least, provides good food at a moderate price.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Fri May 13, 2011 8:16 am

Henry Vilas wrote: Like others, I miss PPP, and Big Mama's and Uncle Fat's before that.

Big Mama's had an amazing dry rub.

Huckleby wrote:I'm surprised to see people consider Famous Dave's to be as good as Smokey John's or Fat Jack's.

Famous Dave's sucks. To me it's the Olive garden of BBQ.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Fri May 13, 2011 8:18 am

Bear in mind--and this is meant as Forum reporting, not judgment, Huck--that Huckleby has previously gone on the record defending the virtues of Old Country Buffet and PIzza Hut.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby okiebp » Fri May 13, 2011 8:46 am

TheBookPolice wrote:Bear in mind--and this is meant as Forum reporting, not judgment, Huck--that Huckleby has previously gone on the record defending the virtues of Old Country Buffet and PIzza Hut.

hahaha :lol:
okiebp

Postby wallrock » Fri May 13, 2011 9:47 am

eriedasch wrote:But I feel we could use a real BBQ joint like Porky Pine Pete's or The Rendezvous in Memphis.

I was down in Memphis a month ago and we went to Rendezvous for ribs. Maybe my expectations were too high but I came away disappointed - the ribs were too tough and the dry rub was just OK, not transcendental like I'd been repeated assured. I guess it's just a case of loving what I grew up with, but I've yet to find a rib place I like more than Baumgartner's Wednesday night special in Monroe. Caveat - I prefer pulled pork shoulder to ribs anyway and every time I ordered this in Memphis it was exceptional.
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Fri May 13, 2011 11:43 am

wallrock wrote:I prefer pulled pork shoulder to ribs anyway and every time I ordered this in Memphis it was exceptional.

I can't remember what restaurant I ordered pulled pork from in Memphis, but it ruined me for ever wanting here again. I never got a chance to try PPP's, but every other restaurants is just a plain old sandwich to me.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Fri May 13, 2011 12:29 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:Bear in mind--and this is meant as Forum reporting, not judgment, Huck--that Huckleby has previously gone on the record defending the virtues of Old Country Buffet and PIzza Hut.

I'm looking for decent food for cheap and I'm not afraid to get down in the dirt to get it.

I'm especially a fan of good salad bars, which is why I am drawn like a bear to honey to OCB, Pizza Hut and Fat Jack's BBQ. Oh, and the pinnacle of cheap 'n' ample salad bars is at Rocky Rococos.

I know Fat Jack's ribs aren't gourmet, but their damn tasty, certainly a solid cut about InFamous Dave's. Jack has an *excellent*, if small, salad bar.

I get a kick out of all the FANTASTIC BBQ joints that people are writing odes to. If they were so great, why did they go out of business? I suspect they charged too much for the Madison market.

When I publicly lamented the death of Pizza Hut on University Avenue, one of the refined foodies here tried to comfort me with the news that an artisinal Pizza shop opened in Hilldale. Pardon my Italian, but fucka you. I know Pizza Hut pizza is marginal, but I'm not going to pay $12 for a small pizza, and most importantly, I really NEED a salad bar pit stop to get something green in me.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Cooking & Food issues