MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Tuesday, July 29, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 64.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

New BBQ joint coming to town

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!

Re: New BBQ joint coming to town

Postby TheBookPolice » Fri May 13, 2011 12:45 pm

Huckleby wrote:I really NEED a salad bar pit stop to get something green in me.

No, you really don't. But that you CHOOSE to is totally up to you.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Fri May 13, 2011 1:26 pm

thanks for clarifying
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Fri May 13, 2011 1:29 pm

Huckleby wrote:I really NEED a salad bar pit stop to get something green in me.

There's always leprechauns.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Fri May 13, 2011 4:06 pm

or that hunky jolly green giant.

just kidding, I'm a pitcher. I mean straight.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby eriedasch » Fri May 13, 2011 5:09 pm

Huckleby wrote:I get a kick out of all the FANTASTIC BBQ joints that people are writing odes to. If they were so great, why did they go out of business? I suspect they charged too much for the Madison market.

You mean all two of them? Big Mama & Uncle Fats closed like 10 years ago. Porky Pine Pete's never really had a chance (legal issues, not much of sign, poor business plan, constantly running out of food).

A lot of places go out of business that don't have corporate backing. Those with coporate backing can make a few mistakes or suck to some degree and keep going for quite awhile because they can undercut the competion and get bailed out when they screw up or fail. Case in point: Old Country Buffet still in business after filing bankruptcy.

But riddle me this: why is Fat Jack's, where you can get all you can eat for $10 usually dead, but Texas Roadhouse where a full rack and two sides costs almost $20 and the place is jam packed pretty much all the time?

I do not believe price and quantity are always the most important factors regarding food and dining out.

We can agree to disagree at this point, but beware for that time in your life where you smell the BBQ smoke wafting out the back of a rib joint, you sit down and the ribs fall off the bone, melt in your mouth, and have such an awesomely smokey taste you will never want to waste your time on inferior ribs again.

Or maybe not...
eriedasch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Fri May 13, 2011 6:39 pm

A full rack dinner at Fat Jack's costs around $20. Their all-you-can eat rib specials don't include the salad bar, and are around $14, I think. I don't do the all-you-can-eat deals, I'm too dainty for that.

It's not true that Fat Jacks does a poor business. They've stayed in business for at least 25 years, which is amazing in the restaraunt world, so they are doing a lot of things right. The staff is very friendly, its a family operated, physically comfortable, personable place. A big reason for me to go there also is that they do such an excellent job with their salad bar.

I agree that Fat Jack's ribs are not the very best, I would say Smokey Jon's are slightly better.

Because I care, I will try the Texas Roadhouse chain that you recommend, assuming the joint near East Towne is still in business. I'm trying to eat much less meat these days, so this is a real sacrifice on my part.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby NullDevice » Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:25 pm

Best way to do ribs (and brisket) is to just learn how to do it yourself. It's time-consuming, a pain in the ass, fussy and frequently expensive, but man...once you've done it right, it's brilliant, and even when you do it wrong you can eat the mistakes!
NullDevice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Rozydog » Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:07 pm

Anyone know when and where this place is opening?
Rozydog

Previous

Return to Cooking & Food issues