MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Tuesday, October 21, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 40.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

King & Mane is closing, but nevermind that

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!

Re: King & Mane is closing, but nevermind that

Postby Ducatista » Thu May 12, 2011 1:15 pm

MadMind75 wrote:I had always wanted to try Luigi's, just never got around to it. What that corner really needs is a 24 hour diner!

I heard rumors years ago that Monty planned to open a 24-hour diner on the corner of King and Webster (parking lot next to Opus). He'd bought a diner car and everything. Turned out there'd once been a gas station or something on that site, and the remediation required before a restaurant could go there was prohibitively expensive.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Thu May 12, 2011 1:23 pm

Well, he's got Avenue now. Primed to go 24-hour.

Aside: MadMind, do you really not ever talk about anything but strip clubs and diners? I mean, both in the same thread?
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Thu May 12, 2011 2:41 pm

jman111 wrote:If you like Crop Circle, have you tried Hacker-Pschorr? I especially like their Dunkle Weisse, but if the lighter varieties are more your thing, give the Hefe Weisse a try.

No I don't believe I have. I'll check the Jenny market cooler for those next time. Thanks.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Gulfguy » Thu May 12, 2011 4:33 pm

Hysterical. A textbook lesson in arrogance meeting stupidity. 'Tipsy Cow' conveys "we have no clue about the bar business", from the folks who bought The Local, immediately terminated the $2 Tuesday burger and straight-ahead bar menu and concept, killing a strong and fun bar clientele -- for a "gastropub" promptly crushed by Graze, etc. That the makeover is in busy May instead of winter says it all.
Gulfguy

Postby green union terrace chair » Thu May 12, 2011 4:48 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:Aside: MadMind, do you really not ever talk about anything but strip clubs and diners? I mean, both in the same thread?

I was thinking that exact same thing. He might be some new breed of spambot, except that he doesn't include referral links.
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Thu May 12, 2011 5:23 pm

Yeah if you like wheat beers get the real thing. Ayinger and Julius Echter are the best IMO. And Spotted Cow is a farmhouse ale, not a wheat.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind75 » Thu May 12, 2011 10:14 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:Well, he's got Avenue now. Primed to go 24-hour.

Primed to go? As in that's in Food Fights plan? Or simply a suggestion? Either way, "24-hour supper club" doesn't quite have the same ring to it as "24-hour diner".
TheBookPolice wrote:Aside: MadMind, do you really not ever talk about anything but strip clubs and diners? I mean, both in the same thread?

I'll keep whining like a baby until I get what I want. Squeaky wheel gets the grease!
I just want to break the back of Madison's culture and reshape it match my zeal, not a big deal 8)
MadMind75
Forum Addict

Postby TheBookPolice » Fri May 13, 2011 12:09 am

Avenue doesn't seem like a supper club to me, even if it's not currently a diner diner. But by primed, I did not mean to indicate any plans. Just that it's there, it's got parking, it's got a good neon sign, and people know it by name, sight, and reputation.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind75 » Fri May 13, 2011 10:55 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:Avenue doesn't seem like a supper club to me, even if it's not currently a diner diner. But by primed, I did not mean to indicate any plans. Just that it's there, it's got parking, it's got a good neon sign, and people know it by name, sight, and reputation.

Gotcha. Although that would probably eliminate foot traffic from downtown drunkards, take that as you will (good for customers, bad for business). That and Food Fight is overpriced. I'd boycott the joint if they charged $10 for scrambled eggs & toast.
MadMind75
Forum Addict

Postby Right Bower » Sat May 14, 2011 8:29 am

How many of the restaurants to occupy this space has Sue Kirton been involved with, or part owner of? If it's more than 3, I'd say there's a common denominator, and maybe a pattern...
Right Bower
Forum Addict

Postby Petro » Sun May 15, 2011 3:17 am

kweetech wrote:I don't really understand the hatred for Spotted Cow. Its not my favorite..but I would never say I hate it..hate is too strong of a word to describe any beer.

Its a farmhouse ale...it is what is. It appeals to a broad demographic, and is a great gateway beer....just like Fat Tire, Sierra Nevada Pale ale, Oberon etc.
It makes money..and affords breweries the ability to make more interesting less profitable beers...

The most interesting thing about Spotted Cow is the seemingly mythical status that it has amongst people from out of state. They can't get it, so they think it's special - much like Fat Tire and Shiner Bock had before they were commonly available.

I've taken to referring to it as "Cudweiser".

My gateway beer of choice for people new to microbrews is Gumballhead, but I love anything that Three Floyds touches.
Petro
Forum Addict

Postby gargantua » Sun May 15, 2011 11:03 am

Petro wrote:
kweetech wrote:I don't really understand the hatred for Spotted Cow. Its not my favorite..but I would never say I hate it..hate is too strong of a word to describe any beer.

Its a farmhouse ale...it is what is. It appeals to a broad demographic, and is a great gateway beer....just like Fat Tire, Sierra Nevada Pale ale, Oberon etc.
It makes money..and affords breweries the ability to make more interesting less profitable beers...

The most interesting thing about Spotted Cow is the seemingly mythical status that it has amongst people from out of state. They can't get it, so they think it's special - much like Fat Tire and Shiner Bock had before they were commonly available.

I've taken to referring to it as "Cudweiser".

My gateway beer of choice for people new to microbrews is Gumballhead, but I love anything that Three Floyds touches.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but Three Floyd's is leaving the WI market, so better stock up now....
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Petro » Sun May 15, 2011 11:46 am

gargantua wrote:Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but Three Floyd's is leaving the WI market, so better stock up now....

Really? Do you have a source? Google isn't finding anything.

I'm hopeful that you're just thinking of Stone or Dogfish Head.
Petro
Forum Addict

Postby MadMind75 » Tue May 17, 2011 9:13 pm

Just sounds like a repurposing, bending to the will of the people, to provide more casual bar fare on their menu.
2-for-1 burgers on Tuesdays sounds promising... as long as one burger isn't $8.95 that is.
MadMind75
Forum Addict

Postby Petro » Wed May 18, 2011 1:01 pm

MadMind75 wrote:Just sounds like a repurposing, bending to the will of the people, to provide more casual bar fare on their menu.
2-for-1 burgers on Tuesdays sounds promising... as long as one burger isn't $8.95 that is.

$8.95 seems fine to me, so long as it's actually a burger that's worth $8.95. Of course, it's probably like The Old Fashioned, in that it comes ala carte when part of that special.
Petro
Forum Addict

PreviousNext

Return to Cooking & Food issues