MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Tuesday, July 22, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 75.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

WI Campgrounds with cabins

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

WI Campgrounds with cabins

Postby kissyfish » Wed May 18, 2011 11:08 am

I am hoping someone might be able to help. I am looking for state or fed campgrounds which offer rustic cabins (no electricity needed), ths would be for 6 people.

Hiking and kayaking and fishing are what we usually try to do, we usually use tents, but after 5 days, I am pretty sick of tents, and when it rains, the 7 yr old and 5 yr old would be better suited for playing a boardgame in a cabin.

I have searched and found some, but am looking for more of a personal recommendation from someone.

Thanks in advance,
kissyfish
Forum Addict

Re: WI Campgrounds with cabins

Postby Endo Rockstar » Wed May 18, 2011 11:23 am

head to the Bearpaw in White Lake/ Langlade WI. You can rent the little cabins --which are just little bunk houses, sounds like it might be what you're looking for.

http://www.bearpawoutdoors.com/

hiking, mountain biking, kayaking, rafting on the wolf river. Its set on the Edge of the Nicolet Nat'l Forest.

You'll probably run into Papa Motor climbing off his mountain bike covered in mud =)

-Dan Motor
Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Right Bower » Wed May 18, 2011 12:05 pm

Depending on how far you're willing to drive to get there, and then how far you're willing to hike to reach one of the cabins, the Porcupine Mountain State Park has some:

http://www.dnr.state.mi.us/parksandtrai ... &type=SPRK
Right Bower
Forum Addict

Postby brentron909 » Wed May 18, 2011 12:37 pm

According to the WI DNR camping site:
"A typical campsite is in a natural setting with road access, a fire ring, and a picnic table, and can be used by either vehicle or tent campers. But there also are backpack, walk-in, and canoe-in sites, sites with electrical hookups, and sites designed specifically for either tent or vehicle campers. Some sites are accessible for people with disabilities. Some are for people with horses. Others accommodate large groups of campers."

But wait! There's this:
"Wisconsin State Parks have nine cabins for people with disabilities. There are rustic cabins at Copper Falls and Blue Mound state parks and cabins with more amenities at Mirror Lake, Buckhorn, High Cliff , Kohler-Andrae, and Potowatami state parks, Kettle Moraine State Forest--Southern Unit, and Richard Bong State Recreation Area. See a calendar of available dates.

The only other lodging facilities in Wisconsin State Parks are indoor group camps and the Frank Lloyd Wright-designed Seth Peterson Cottage"

Not sure if that implies the cabins are ONLY for people with disabilities. Probably a phone call to the DNR could clear that up.

1-888-936-7463
brentron909
Forum Addict

Postby wallrock » Wed May 18, 2011 1:44 pm

Right Bower wrote:Depending on how far you're willing to drive to get there, and then how far you're willing to hike to reach one of the cabins, the Porcupine Mountain State Park has some:

http://www.dnr.state.mi.us/parksandtrai ... &type=SPRK

I'll second the Porkies. It's my favorite park in the northern WI/UP area. There's also the J. W. Wells State Park on the south side of the UP in Menominee County. I've never stayed in one but they do have rustic cabins.
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kissyfish » Thu May 19, 2011 12:02 pm

The UP it is. Thanks all, we have friends who come from the UK every year, and they live in the heart of London, and Kayak in the thames, but they really enjoy getting AWAY from it all.

In the past few years we have been to

Wyalusing
Lake Superior (little sandy bay)
Door county

They really liked the kayaking up north, and they voted yes to the Porkies.

Hopefully I can still book a cabin.
kissyfish
Forum Addict

Postby Right Bower » Thu May 19, 2011 1:37 pm

Enjoy. It's a great area.

If for some reason you can't get a cabin in the Porkies, there are plenty of places to stay (small cabins) right on Lake Superior, between Ontonagon and the park. They're definitely not secluded, as they are on a highway and the lake, but, you could always grab one of those for a night or two, and camp in the park for some other nights.

Also in the same area, there are a couple very nice public beach access points (Green Park being my favorite) that you can use to picnic, swim (nice sandy bottom after you get past a few feet of rocks), kayak, walk the beach, etc.
Right Bower
Forum Addict

Return to Sports, Recreation & Biking