MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, October 24, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 49.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

The late dinner quest continues

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

The late dinner quest continues

Postby narcoleptish » Wed May 18, 2011 6:04 pm

Someone correct me if I'm wrong (like I have to ask for this..) but didn't The Old Fashioned used to serve their full menu after 10 PM? Granted it's been awhile since we went but we tried last night about 10 and the hostess said food was just ending, not even a late night menu was mentioned, she just said "food service" was ending. We walked over to Cooper's for the same news and walked up to the new Capital tavern/pub/whatever, and they looked to be closing.

We ended up at Ian's and I know they're loved and all but I just wasn't in the mood for big floppy warmed-up pizza.

I've written/bitched about this before and I fully realize that it's probably a response to a lack of late-night dinner business, especially on a Tuesday. I just can't believe in a mid-size city full of hipsters and students and young well paid Epic employees, that a handful of middle-aged townies are the only people out on a weeknight in search of a simple dinner after 10 o-clock.

And I know there are some places, but there should be more.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Re: The late dinner quest continues

Postby Athena » Wed May 18, 2011 6:45 pm

I've actually wanted to eat at the Tornado for their late night menu, but I've never been in the mood to eat anything after 10pm. Isn't Big Red's Steaks open late? I know they had a whole bunch of signs last time I was in saying you couldn't use the bathroom after a certain hour or something. Actually, the type of behavior that those signs were referring to might be why more places aren't open late.
Athena
Forum Addict

Postby gargantua » Wed May 18, 2011 7:25 pm

Would Fresco be open? Or other places on State near Overture, who might stay open to catch the folks leaving evening performances.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Wed May 18, 2011 7:34 pm

It was only a little bit further to Paradise! I think they serve food quite late.
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby roadkill bill » Wed May 18, 2011 7:58 pm

Just off the top of my head: Weary, Harmony (reduced menu), Great Dane, Nick's, Brocach, Paisans, Nat Spiel, Argus, whatever-The-Local-will become.... I think those all serve food late, but I could be wrong. The Great Dane is a solid option, although they don't serve the full menu.

Yes, as a night owl that often decides I need a bite to keep the beer from ending the evening early, I appreciate solid food after 9 PM.

What about Zander's? Their food is quite acceptable, and features a few more options than burger and/or fries.
roadkill bill
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Thu May 19, 2011 7:24 am

I do always like the Dane but others in my group don't. My post was more out of frustration for that particular night, we're standing on the square, hungry, trying to decide which direction to walk. I really like Nat Spiel too but over half the time we've gone in there's nowhere to sit. I think Paisan's stops at 10 but I could be wrong too. Harmony is a well-used option.

Seems like a few places have opened with good late-night service intentions, only to cut it back later, I assume when the business isn't there, which leads me to blame the fine folks of Madison and their early bedtimes. Umami is a current favorite also but we're just waiting to see how long the late hours last.

green union terrace chair wrote:It was only a little bit further to Paradise! I think they serve food quite late.

Yeah.....
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby eriedasch » Thu May 19, 2011 2:48 pm

narcoleptish wrote:Someone correct me if I'm wrong (like I have to ask for this..) but didn't The Old Fashioned used to serve their full menu after 10 PM?

The full menu stops at 10p as long as I have been going there because I've been burned on it a few times as well. They do have a pretty good late menu that includes salads, and many non-burger options.

I have pretty much given up on late night food in Madison and just started eating earlier.
eriedasch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Thu May 19, 2011 3:10 pm

roadkill bill wrote:Just off the top of my head: Weary, Harmony (reduced menu), Great Dane, Nick's, Brocach, Paisans, Nat Spiel, Argus, whatever-The-Local-will become....

The only place I can add to that list is Alchemy.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby roadkill bill » Thu May 19, 2011 3:32 pm

rabble wrote:
roadkill bill wrote:Just off the top of my head: Weary, Harmony (reduced menu), Great Dane, Nick's, Brocach, Paisans, Nat Spiel, Argus, whatever-The-Local-will become....

The only place I can add to that list is Alchemy.

Funny. Just as I was logging back in to this thread (work break), I thought of Alchemy.

Good food, though I do miss the stuffed dolmades (sp?) - stuffed grape leaves - because they were the perfect snack for late night. Not greasy, and not heavy. Finger food to share or gobble by yourself with the great beers they offer.
roadkill bill
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Thu May 19, 2011 3:33 pm

rabble wrote:The only place I can add to that list is Alchemy.

Just tried Alchemy on Saturday at ~11:10. No dice. Food service stops at 11:00.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Thu May 19, 2011 3:59 pm

jman111 wrote:
rabble wrote:The only place I can add to that list is Alchemy.

Just tried Alchemy on Saturday at ~11:10. No dice. Food service stops at 11:00.

Wow. That was fast. I never ate there past 10 but I swear I remember people talking about how great it was to have a good meal after midnight around here. I'm pretty sure that was last summer.

But I could be misremembering.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Thu May 19, 2011 4:17 pm

We went there specifically because we thought they served quite late.
We were greatly disappointed.
A nice guy at the bar offered us some of his chips, but that just didn't cut it (it was a very generous gesture, though).
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Fri May 20, 2011 8:36 am

OK, so I may have been mistaken. Upon further reflection (and outside input), it appears that Saturday afternoon/night may have been a bit longer than I thought. I think we may have been there at 1:10, not 11:10.

Still not confirmed, tho....
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby c02 » Fri May 20, 2011 9:11 am

Okay, if you are confusing 11:10 with 1:10 taco bell probably would have sufficed. :mrgreen:
c02
Forum Addict

Postby Taco » Fri May 20, 2011 9:24 am

c02 wrote:Okay, if you are confusing 11:10 with 1:10 taco bell probably would have sufficed. :mrgreen:

No me digas!
Taco
Forum Addict

Next

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews