MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
pax
Wednesday, July 30, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 71.0° F  Partly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Fit 2 Eat!

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Fit 2 Eat!

Postby Tsur » Fri May 20, 2011 6:51 pm

Alright, the name is uninspired, but the food is good.

I'm worried that this place will go out of business, so I'm trying to give it the The Daily Page bump. They're at 3742 Speedway, a.k.a the location of death. Several business have failed there, the last being Madeline's.

It's a super-cute, healthy take out place, place run by a local family. The kids pitch in and run the counter. Portions are reasonable and the prices are great. The food is fresh and mediterranean-esque. And the menu is mildly inventive without trying too hard. Check it out at fit2eatmadison.com

The bread they use on their sandwiches is divine - a wonderfully textured, whole wheat baguette with just the right amount nuttiness. The crust offers the prefect resistance to the soft goodness contained within. I don't know if they make it themselves, but I don't really care either. It's the perfect bread for a good sandwich.

I always find the food just a little under seasoned. I'm sure they're trying to spare me and reduce my salt intake. I almost appreciate it. But the flavors are spot on and a dash of salt at home and my blood pressure is once again at risk.

This place has everything needed to succeed: good food, good prices, good service. I just wish they weren't at that cursed location. The one good thing about the location is the location. They're trying to be the grab-some-good-food-on-the-way-home-from-work joint and in that sense, the locale makes a lot of sense.

Try it on your way home and report back.
Tsur

Re: Fit 2 Eat!

Postby kimm » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:07 am

I tried it and had mixed thoughts.

If I were single and wanted a "healthy fixed" dinner plan, I'd consider buying my dinners from here regularly. Nice it's cooked there and not shipped from some wherehouse like other diet meal plans.

As a takeout for me and my husband, it's a swing out of my Univ. Ave communting path and it was a little under seasoned and light on veggies in the sides. Prices were within reason. I think about $15 for two meats ( we had chicken and fish), two sides (we had flavored pasta and rice dishes), and a dessert (we had a scone and cookie). But, I'm not their ideal clientele, as we don't do much takeout for lunch or dinner.

It resembles simple, healthy homemade food, you just don't have to do the cooking. So, it's not gourmet, but it is healthy and a time saver. Worth trying if that is what you are looking for.

And yes, that location is horrid. I'm not even sure really cheap rent could save a business there.
kimm
Forum Addict

Postby Uncle_Leaver » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:41 pm

I positively love this place, enough that I should have started this thread weeks ago.

Bear in mind that their menu changes weekly. If it seems small, that's why. The sandwiches in particular tend to shine, IMO. The soups are great, but those not minding their sodium intake might find themselves reaching for the shaker on occasion.

Great place to grab a healthy lunch for $10 or under. I hope they make it work. I know they do catering as well, so hopefully that's supplementing things nicely. Also, they bake fresh challah every Friday and recommend you call to reserve a loaf.

Really nice folks. They'll answer any questions you have about ingredients or preparation, and I swear I was treated like a regular the second time I walked in the place.
Uncle_Leaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:08 pm

Looks like a nice little place at 3742 Speedway Road across from Glenway golf. I will try it.

http://fit2eatmadison.com/
Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews