MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, December 18, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 20.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Meeces

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here

Re: Meeces

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue May 24, 2011 5:59 pm

And people wonder what creative process could have resulted in seven Saw films.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pattymcnutt » Tue May 24, 2011 7:25 pm

Having lived in a few older buildings in Madison, I've had a few issues with mice over the years. In one place I lived, I could NOT catch the mice in snap traps, no matter where I put them or what I baited them with. Finally I tried the glue traps and that worked wonderfully to catch them, but then you're stuck with a live mouse permanently glued to a trap, so then you have to either put the mouse out of it's misery or toss it outside in the trash where it dies a slow painful death. And they tend to scoot across the floor, or flip themselves over as they attempt to free themselves. So I vote no on glue traps (plus if you have kids and a dog, they're a disaster waiting to happen).

My cat is an excellent mouser in that he catches them, but he doesn't kill them or eat them, he just plays with them/tortures them and then I have to figure out how to pry a live, terrified little mouse out of his jaws (NOT an easy task) and get it outside. I tried the humane live traps (baited with peanut butter) because I didn't want the feline to stick his paws in the snap traps, but when I did catch a mouse in one, the stupid cat LET IT OUT of the trap to play with/toture it! (Then I had to pry a live, peanut butter-covered mouse out of his jaws).

Poison does not work well for the reasons already stated. I've found that the covered snap traps work best. They're re-usable, you don't have to see the mouse other than it's tail sticking out of the little tunnel, and because the mice have to go in through a tunnel, they enter it in a perfect position to be killed instantly, so you don't end up with maimed amputee mice.

Then go around and seal up any holes or cracks where they might be getting in (steel wool works for sealing up areas around pipes) and don't leave any food out (including pet food). Once they lose their food source and point of entry, they'll pack up their little mouse knapsacks and hit the road.
pattymcnutt
Forum Addict

Postby HamsterArmageddon » Tue May 24, 2011 9:09 pm

Cat and pellet gun. Problem solved.
HamsterArmageddon
Forum Addict

Postby nevermore » Tue May 24, 2011 9:14 pm

Oh, C_S, I feel your pain. Mice are my psychological Achilles heal.

Anyway, I now help with managing several rental housing buildings and when mice show up, I go with Professional Pest Control. They kill 'em (and anything else you want) dead. And they do it with stuff that won't hurt pets. If I see mice in my house, that's my first call.
nevermore
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Wed May 25, 2011 9:02 am

pattymcnutt wrote: My cat is an excellent mouser in that he catches them, but he doesn't kill them or eat them, he just plays with them/tortures them

What if you were to cut Kitty's rations? I suppose that is against the Geneva conventions or something.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Wed May 25, 2011 10:07 am

I've really only had luck with the snap traps and peanut butter, placed as someone said, wherever you find the droppings. I think trying to seal your house from mice is pretty futile. They find the smallest openings and even tunnel down along the foundation on my house, probably to cracks/openings I'm not even aware of, hidden behind shelves or whatever. One of the biggest draws is spilled food and kids are a good source of discarded food under stoves, fridges, etc. Someone also mentioned the issue of poisoned mice rotting in the walls. I had that happen once and you don't want it to happen. My neighbor claims success with the plug-in sonic doo-dad things but I would worry that they make pets miserable too.

Good luck. At least it's not rats.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Uncle_Leaver » Wed May 25, 2011 10:25 am

narcoleptish wrote:Good luck. At least it's not rats.

Actually, the rat is nature's mortal enemy to the mouse. So the plan, should the three different types of traps I'm now testing fail, is to get a whole shitload of rats and set them loose on the mice. I'll then get about 15 or 16 fully grown corn snakes and let them go to town on the rats.

I can live with corn snakes. When they've exhausted the rat supply, I figure they'll head outdoors and turn their hungry attention on the ground squirrels.

This plan is foolproof, I tell ya.
Uncle_Leaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Wed May 25, 2011 11:10 am

I suggest you cut out the middleman- let the snakes take care of the mice. Tho, you may want to stick with a more-local species (e.g. Rat snakes or Northern Pine snakes) if they'll eventually head outdoors.

This sounds ridiculous (I'm sure), but I'm not sure it's not doable. It's common in some parts of the world to employ reptiles for pest control- especially small lizards for annoying bugs.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby juanton » Wed May 25, 2011 12:33 pm

Back in the day, a house I lived in with a bunch of people had a meece problem. My roommate and I used to see them scurry across the living room floor all the time. Fed up, we starting throwing objects at them. I eventually got really good at killing them by throwing my female roommate's metal hair brush across the room at them. I was a self trained mouse extermination force.

Recently the family minivan got taken over by a mad shitter mouse while camping. The thing crapped everywhere, but mostly on my kid's car seats. We ended up using the sticky traps, as no matter how much we messed with the action of a traditional trap, the mice were still able to consume the peanut butter and not get killed.

Good luck, shit's nasty.
juanton
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mifflander » Wed May 25, 2011 12:49 pm

It's an annual thing in our old house that when the weather turns in Fall to see mice around the kitchen.

Humane traps are certainly that since they never catch any freaking mice.

I always have success with the old fashioned wooden snappers.

For anyone who has set that kind of trap and come back to find it unsprung and all the bait gone, you can make very minor adjustments to the little metal piece that holds the spring down. It needs to be really a hair trigger so the smallest amount of weight will trip it. The trick is to be able to set it and move it into position without tripping it yourself.

Peanut butter always works for me.

Then there was the one time we had a rat living in our compost bin. That's a grizzly tale.
mifflander
Forum Addict

Postby Uncle_Leaver » Wed May 25, 2011 1:55 pm

jman111 wrote:I suggest you cut out the middleman- let the snakes take care of the mice.

Ahhhh ... a smart guy.

Tho, you may want to stick with a more-local species (e.g. Rat snakes or Northern Pine snakes) if they'll eventually head outdoors.

Actually, I think I'd go with milk snakes. I just like the way they look.

This sounds ridiculous (I'm sure), but I'm not sure it's not doable. It's common in some parts of the world to employ reptiles for pest control- especially small lizards for annoying bugs.

I've honestly considered buying a breeding pair of milk snakes or rat snakes to see if they'd take up residence in my yard and take care of the ground squirrel problem. Every time there's a reptile fair at the local VFW (?!) it's all I can do not to pull in and see what kind of deal I can get. Seriously.

I think I'd stop short of letting them loose in the house. For one, I'm pretty sure they'd find their way out (though hopefully they'd take up residence in the yard). Secondly, constrictor shit is nasty stuff, what it being largely comprised of digested mouse parts. Pretty confident I don't want that stuff lurking under my furnace, etc. Otherwise, if the problem were bad enough, I might just give it a go.
Last edited by Uncle_Leaver on Wed May 25, 2011 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Uncle_Leaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed May 25, 2011 2:01 pm

Uncle_Leaver wrote:Actually, I think I'd go with milk snakes. I just like the way they look.

Torn between a There Will Be Blood joke and something much more puerile, so I'll just shut up instead.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Uncle_Leaver » Wed May 25, 2011 2:09 pm

Sometimes a snake is just a snake.
Uncle_Leaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Wed May 25, 2011 2:09 pm

When I had a downtown apartment, we kept getting mice in our kitchen and cabinets - tried poison, but we weren't super aggressive w/ where we put it, because we also have a fairly dumb cat (hence the mice).

I don't think they're humane by any stretch, but in my experience glue traps do work pretty well, particularly when baited. It's like someone said earlier though - you will be faced with an either still alive and super scared mouse or a recently dead one that shows the various unpleasant signs of said fear (poop, torn or messed up limbs, etc.).
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Uncle_Leaver » Wed May 25, 2011 2:18 pm

Don't get me wrong, I think the "humane" trap thing is pure stupidity. First of all, once a critter has invaded my living space, it's his ass. The exception I make is for bats, because they do a hell of a lot of good and I can actually catch them easily and release them outside where they thrive. Secondly, as someone else said, I'm pretty sure those mice released into unfamiliar environs are lunch meat within a day or two of such compassionate treatment. Kind of like the PETA folks releasing minks into the wild. Birds of prey everywhere owe them big thanks for that, though maybe that beats rectal electrocution (seems like there should be a compound word for that).

But those glue traps are horrible and I can't abide by them.

Side note: Don't search for the term "mousetrap" on YouTube if you're the slightest bit squeamish. The results leave the viewer wondering which species, the hunter or the hunted, is really the greater threat in the grand scheme of things.
Last edited by Uncle_Leaver on Wed May 25, 2011 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Uncle_Leaver
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Catch All