MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, December 27, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 34.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

3 weekly shows you absolutely have to watch

How can cultural elitists like ourselves put TV in the Culture category? Well, where the hell else is it going to fit?

Re: 3 weekly shows you absolutely have to watch

Postby boston_jeff » Wed May 25, 2011 2:30 pm

Friday Night Lights' finale was in February on DirecTV only. For the rest of us who like seeing it in HD its still an active series, and yes very much an absolute watch for me. So are these two:

-Game of Thrones

-The Killing

If critics are backing away then I disagree with them. The case is taking awhile to develop but it still keeps my interest. Fringe was pretty good this year too. Looking forward to Louie returning as well as Breaking Bad.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2603
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:41 pm
Location: Near East

Re: 3 weekly shows you absolutely have to watch

Postby dave esmond » Wed May 25, 2011 2:36 pm

boston_jeff wrote:Looking forward to Louie returning...


Louie and Eastbound and Down are the ones that I have trouble waiting for the DVDs of.
dave esmond
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2569
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2001 4:15 pm

Re: 3 weekly shows you absolutely have to watch

Postby boston_jeff » Wed May 25, 2011 2:42 pm

Eastbound is amazing...
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2603
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:41 pm
Location: Near East

Re: 3 weekly shows you absolutely have to watch

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Wed May 25, 2011 2:54 pm

dave esmond wrote:SVU has been horrible of late.

I'm with ya that L&O was generally a reliably entertaining, if not great, hour of television. But I've never cottoned to SVU -- easily my least favorite of them all (assuming that we just pretend that Bebe Neuwirth one never existed, 'cuz really, who remembers that?) Partly because I think it wallows in the sleaze, but mostly because I don't care about Stabler's kids or Olivia's mom's rape or pretty much anything else they've done to flesh out the characters. Just solve a crime, thank you very much.

Sadly, most of the shows I "gotta" watch are well past their prime, I just can't give them up. This has worked out fine for South Park, which has been pretty great so far this season, but why I keep torturing myself with The Simpsons every week, I do not know. My girlfriend got me into The Office, which was fun to catch up with on DVD, but not so much fun watching new from week to week.

Right... supposed to pick 3.

South Park
30 Rock
The Daily Show

And thank Gore for the Internet, as I have no cable with which to watch two of those. But I generally follow the start-late-then-binge-on-DVD-or-Netflix model of modern TV viewing, especially for anything with on-going plotlines. Just finished Battlestar Galactica, for example, and I can't imagine having to stretch that out over years. 2 weeks and I'm done. NEXT!
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 9048
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2002 6:35 pm

Re: 3 weekly shows you absolutely have to watch

Postby O.J. » Wed May 25, 2011 2:55 pm

It's not quite must-see, but I've been enjoying Breakout Kings, especially the Lloyd character, played by the same actor that portrays Liam McPoyle on Always Sunny in Philadelphia.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 3012
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:13 am

Re: 3 weekly shows you absolutely have to watch

Postby rrnate » Wed May 25, 2011 2:57 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:...But I generally follow the start-late-then-binge-on-DVD-or-Netflix model of modern TV viewing, especially for anything with on-going plotlines. Just finished Battlestar Galactica, for example, and I can't imagine having to stretch that out over years. 2 weeks and I'm done. NEXT!


Same here, generally have two shows going on DVD via Netflix - right now, they're News Radio (never seen before, liking season 1 so far) and Fringe (on Season 2 - really like it, can't imagine keeping up w/ it weekly though).

For a number of years I was one of these "don't really watch TV" people, but slowly that's changed, though it's all pretty much DVD/Charter's "Play It Now" (can't remember the name) thing.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 3668
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2002 6:33 pm
Location: Madison's Corporate Underbelly

Re: 3 weekly shows you absolutely have to watch

Postby dave esmond » Wed May 25, 2011 3:06 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:...but mostly because I don't care about Stabler's kids or Olivia's mom's rape or pretty much anything else they've done to flesh out the characters. Just solve a crime, thank you very much.


Yep. The arrival of Olivia's brother did me in.

But I generally follow the start-late-then-binge-on-DVD-or-Netflix model of modern TV viewing, especially for anything with on-going plotlines. Just finished Battlestar Galactica, for example, and I can't imagine having to stretch that out over years. 2 weeks and I'm done. NEXT!


The prequel "Caprica" was pretty good.

Torchwood was a fun DVD marathon.

So was Wallander.

Peepshow, Little Britian and League of Gentlemen all made me laugh and/or squirm in a good way.

I assume you've seen Trailer Park Boys, I can't recall if you're one of the folks who got my DVD's. But if not it's on Netflix streaming now. HIghly reccomended.

I've seen a few episodes of Sherlock and I'll be looking for the DVD or stream of those.
dave esmond
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2569
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2001 4:15 pm

Re: 3 weekly shows you absolutely have to watch

Postby Kenneth Burns » Wed May 25, 2011 3:27 pm

Emergency! reruns on RTV. Julie London! In tonight's episode, Roy and Gage deal with a freaked out hippie and extricate a guy from a sofa bed.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 3023
Joined: Fri May 24, 2002 3:14 pm

Re: 3 weekly shows you absolutely have to watch

Postby supaunknown » Wed May 25, 2011 4:20 pm

Emergency! never satisfies past it's excellent intro/credits, though I do recall liking it as a kid for some reason.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 5578
Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2002 3:22 pm

Re: 3 weekly shows you absolutely have to watch

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Wed May 25, 2011 4:45 pm

I watched a lot of Emergency! as a kid (although by the time I was old enough to notice, it had already been repackaged as Emergency One) but I always knew it was stupid. I recall the family watching an episode where the fellas called Rampart and when the Doc asked for their ETA, Gage looked at his watch and said, "About 5 minutes." I turned to Dad and said, "Why would he need to check his watch to know how long it will take to get to the hospital?" Dad replied with something along the lines of, "Because he's a bad actor and the writers aren't very bright." Good times.

I also have fond memories of one of the later "Movie of the Week" episodes, which featured the harrowing tale of a woman who got her big toe stuck in the bathtub tap. Oooh-la-la!
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 9048
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2002 6:35 pm

Re: 3 weekly shows you absolutely have to watch

Postby Kenneth Burns » Wed May 25, 2011 4:49 pm

I liked Emergency! when I was a kid, too. I think for children it had a fascination like that of watching a construction site. As I've been reminded in my recent viewing -- which I've enjoyed a lot -- the show is really detailed about the tasks these guys do, almost weirdly so. Maybe that's because paramedics were relatively new and needed explaining. Here is how they radio in the vitals. Here is how they put the guy on a stretcher. Here is how the helicopter comes and picks him up.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 3023
Joined: Fri May 24, 2002 3:14 pm

Re: 3 weekly shows you absolutely have to watch

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Wed May 25, 2011 4:54 pm

dave esmond wrote:
The prequel "Caprica" was pretty good.

I plan to watch it, but I want to take a break from the BSG universe.
dave esmond wrote:
Torchwood was a fun DVD marathon.

Does this stand on its own or do I need to know the Dr. Whos from which it was spun-off? Cuz me and Dr. Who never really hit it off.
dave esmond wrote:
I assume you've seen Trailer Park Boys...

You should never assume! It's been sitting in my Netflix queue for a while. Will definitely check it out sooner rather than later. Thanks for the other suggestions too!
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 9048
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2002 6:35 pm

Re: 3 weekly shows you absolutely have to watch

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Wed May 25, 2011 5:00 pm

Kenneth Burns wrote:Here is how they radio in the vitals. Here is how they put the guy on a stretcher. Here is how the helicopter comes and picks him up.

A lot of that stuff just substitutes for actual writing, though. You can add a lot of script pages to a dull story just by adding jargon and helicopter shots.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 9048
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2002 6:35 pm

Re: 3 weekly shows you absolutely have to watch

Postby Kenneth Burns » Wed May 25, 2011 6:52 pm

These days we're also used to shows in which more stuff happens, faster.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 3023
Joined: Fri May 24, 2002 3:14 pm

Re: 3 weekly shows you absolutely have to watch

Postby peripat » Wed May 25, 2011 6:52 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:
Torchwood
Does this stand on its own or do I need to know the Dr. Whos from which it was spun-off? Cuz me and Dr. Who never really hit it off.ons too!


Absolutely stands on its own. Though I like both, my 20 something kids- who find the Dr boring- love Torchwood.

Only thing I'm watching regularly now is Game of Thrones
peripat
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 1051
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2005 1:59 am

PreviousNext

Return to TV

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

moviesmusiceats
Select a Movie
Select a Theater


commentsViewedForum
  ISTHMUS FLICKR
Created with flickr badge.

Promotions Contact us Privacy Policy Jobs Newsletters RSS
Collapse Photo Bar