MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, October 25, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 62.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Brat Fest's steady decline into trashy carnivaldom.

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Postby Meph » Thu May 31, 2007 6:25 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:
Meph wrote:I guess you told me, flex that epeen.

I hope that we can expect, as you continue to post here at TDPF, to see more of that mighty leet-speak you wield.

one can only hope I will one day be hip enough to call it TDPF too.
Meph

Postby TheBookPolice » Thu May 31, 2007 6:39 pm

Meph wrote:
TheBookPolice wrote:

I hope that we can expect, as you continue to post here at TDPF, to see more of that mighty leet-speak you wield.

Oh, no, everyone calls it that (hip or not). You're just too much of a newbie with a hard-on for confrontation to have taken the time to figure it out.

Or do you call it the Entertainment and Sports Programming Network?
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meph » Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:42 am

TheBookPolice wrote:
Meph wrote:
TheBookPolice wrote:

Oh, no, everyone calls it that (hip or not). You're just too much of a newbie with a hard-on for confrontation to have taken the time to figure it out.

Or do you call it the Entertainment and Sports Programming Network?

Ok now you are just rambling. Let it go man.
Meph

Postby TheBookPolice » Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:56 am

Meph wrote:Ok now you are just rambling. Let it go man.

Never heard that one before. Here's some Internet-speak for you: GFY.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby spanky » Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:46 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:
Meph wrote:Ok now you are just rambling. Let it go man.

Never heard that one before. Here's some Internet-speak for you: GFY.

I prefer: LMB, bieeeeaahhhtches. Or LMHB works pretty good too.
spanky
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Brat Fest's steady decline into trashy carnivaldom.

Postby lovelynovelty » Fri May 27, 2011 9:11 am

I haven't checked this yet, but I heard about a counter Bratfest downtown.
I think I'll check that one out and send a check to the same charities that Johnsonville and Metcalfes support. The charity of theirs that I don't want to support in any fashion is their financial support for Scott Walker.
Has anyone heard if Johnsonville or Metcalfes have come out against this governor's extreme policies? I'd like to think that they are suffering buyer's remorse.
Anyhow, I love that they have this event regardless of the sponsor's politics.
Have fun out there!
:)
lovelynovelty

Postby Igor » Fri May 27, 2011 9:53 am

lovelynovelty wrote:I haven't checked this yet, but I heard about a counter Bratfest downtown.
I think I'll check that one out and send a check to the same charities that Johnsonville and Metcalfes support. The charity of theirs that I don't want to support in any fashion is their financial support for Scott Walker.
Has anyone heard if Johnsonville or Metcalfes have come out against this governor's extreme policies? I'd like to think that they are suffering buyer's remorse.
Anyhow, I love that they have this event regardless of the sponsor's politics.
Have fun out there!
:)

I find the whole boycott thing kind of ironic anyway - it seems that boycotting the grocery store or Johnsonville brats would be a far more effective way to let your voice be heard than to boycott a charity event.

Of course, even in Madison, chances are that your mechanic, or barista, or hairdresser, or bartender - someone you know, is a Republican. So if you really want to live a (R) free life, you had better hire a PI to find out. But make sure it is a Democratic PI.
Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Fri May 27, 2011 10:46 am

Igor wrote:it seems that boycotting the grocery store or Johnsonville brats would be a far more effective way to let your voice be heard than to boycott a charity event.

Except that the alternative events that they will go to are also charity. I believe that is a net win.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stomach » Fri May 27, 2011 11:21 am

Stebben84 wrote:
Igor wrote:it seems that boycotting the grocery store or Johnsonville brats would be a far more effective way to let your voice be heard than to boycott a charity event.

Except that the alternative events that they will go to are also charity. I believe that is a net win.

Yes. I'm getting really tired of the insinuations that going to Brat Fest is the only way to support charity.
Stomach
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bad Gradger » Fri May 27, 2011 11:35 am

I look at the alterna-Brat-Fests as a metaphor for the political left in this country. Why organize a single event when we could do three, each with its own priorities, cannibalizing from the others?

Not to say I'll be going to Willow Island this weekend. It's become too much of a crowded carnival for me.
Bad Gradger
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Fri May 27, 2011 2:41 pm

I think people have become increasingly intolerant, they only want to be around like-minded or culturally similar people. Maybe it has always been like this, but the internet seems to have made us even more tribal. So now we can't have a city-wide brat fest, we have 4 of them on the same weekend.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Fri May 27, 2011 3:45 pm

Huckleby wrote:So now we can't have a city-wide brat fest, we have 4 of them on the same weekend.

What's not citywide about the original Brat Fest now? Are they barring admission to eastsiders or something?

I really can't see a downside to this. Maybe that's because I've never had any interest in the original Fest, but am looking forward to both the High Noon and Orton Park versions. Hadn't heard about the MLK version until today, but if I wander up to the Farmers’ Market, I'll probably check it out.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Fri May 27, 2011 8:02 pm

For me, the alt fests are a win because I've already decided I'm never going to that BigBrat thing ever again. I'm glad to have a chance to give to charity at a smaller neighborhood-type event where I feel a lot more comfortable and have a lot more fun.

I have felt that way about quite a few things that started out small and fun, and got bigger and bigger till big was more important than fun.

The fact that I agree completely with the political statements about the alt fests is almost irrelevant to how I feel about attending.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:35 pm

O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby msnflyer » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:42 pm

I was introduced to Brett when Poison was in town a couple of years ago. He was wearing a baseball cap and I saw no flowing blonde locks. :lolno:

Guess I know where I won't be on 5/23.
msnflyer
Forum Addict

PreviousNext

Return to Town Vibe