MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, December 25, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 33.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Graze

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Re: Graze

Postby Athena » Fri May 27, 2011 1:30 pm

I found Graze's $19 burger to be boring. It's just meat and onions. Sure, the meat is very good but I'd like some cheese or tomatoes or something. I am a huge fan of their mac and cheese with the pulled pork. Something about that combination is transcendent. The fries were excellent the last time I was there.
Athena
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 262
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:33 pm

Re: Graze

Postby rabble » Fri May 27, 2011 2:31 pm

To paraphrase what jman has posted elsewhere, what in the ever lovin world are you doing even ordering a 19 dollar burger?
rabble
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 6550
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:50 pm

Re: Graze

Postby supaunknown » Fri May 27, 2011 2:45 pm

Maybe there's an inestimable value that comes with ordering the most expensive hamburger in town.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 5578
Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2002 3:22 pm

Re: Graze

Postby gargantua » Fri May 27, 2011 5:15 pm

supaunknown wrote:Maybe there's an inestimable value that comes with ordering the most expensive hamburger in town.


Maybe. In my case I order it because I really like how it tastes. I have a 10 year old car and 19 year old car, so I'm comfortable that I don't lay out money for things to be all "status-y".Personally, I think the whole pastime of critiquing the various ways that people choose to spend their money is kind of silly. I'm sure I'm in the minority, as it seems to be more popular than Graze burgers.

I like the pub burger version too. Just once in awhile I get a hankering for the spendier burger. So sue me, Judge Sumi.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 4392
Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2002 1:30 pm
Location: Madison

Re: Graze

Postby rabble » Fri May 27, 2011 8:15 pm

gargantua wrote:Personally, I think the whole pastime of critiquing the various ways that people choose to spend their money is kind of silly. I'm sure I'm in the minority, as it seems to be more popular than Graze burgers.

I'm not sure asking someone why they paid 20 bucks for a burger qualifies as a pastime, but if you do, that's fine.

I asked because I can't understand it. I don't think I'll ever understand paying double the market price for anything, especially a burger, even if you "like the taste." For me, just paying that much for it would leave a bad taste in my mouth no matter how well it was prepared.

But, I'm not you.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 6550
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:50 pm

Re: Graze

Postby john_titor » Sat May 28, 2011 9:02 am

By that logic, why eat anything more than required for sustenance? Sit in a box and eat bread and water.

Internally, my justification was "It has roots in L'Etoile. Everything I have ever got there has been worth the money." Externally to my friends, "What if it is the best burger you have ever eaten?"
john_titor
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 682
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2005 10:18 pm

Re: Graze

Postby gargantua » Sat May 28, 2011 11:57 am

rabble wrote:
gargantua wrote:Personally, I think the whole pastime of critiquing the various ways that people choose to spend their money is kind of silly. I'm sure I'm in the minority, as it seems to be more popular than Graze burgers.

I'm not sure asking someone why they paid 20 bucks for a burger qualifies as a pastime, but if you do, that's fine.

I asked because I can't understand it. I don't think I'll ever understand paying double the market price for anything, especially a burger, even if you "like the taste." For me, just paying that much for it would leave a bad taste in my mouth no matter how well it was prepared.

But, I'm not you.


It's not just you, there have been a number of comments on this thread that run along the lines of "you must be nuts....".This time it's the Graze burger, other times its "I can't believe you'd pay that much for a beer", or "that's way more house than anybody in their right mind would need", or "$80 for a pair of jeans, are you kidding me!" The variations are endless.

People absolutely have every right to decide they don't want to pay over a certain amount for any commodity. Deriding other people for making a different choice doesn't sit well. I'm sure I've probably done it too and I will try to stop.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 4392
Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2002 1:30 pm
Location: Madison

Re: Graze

Postby Ducatista » Sat May 28, 2011 12:49 pm

gargantua wrote:I have a 10 year old car and 19 year old car, so I'm comfortable that I don't lay out money for things to be all "status-y".

That proves nothing. A Bentley and Bugatti, perhaps?

I didn't have any interest in the $19 burger until page 3 of this thread. Now I'm thinking I'll have to try it, just to see. And if it's really only an $8 burger with a higher price tag, I'm out an extra $11 to a place that supports local producers. Big deal.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 4356
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2004 12:31 pm
Location: 53703

Re: Graze

Postby indycoyote » Sun May 29, 2011 8:17 pm

My understanding is that the Graze burger is made from a few varieties of Fountain Prairie beef, including but not limited to their short ribs. Those folks have the tastiest beef I've ever sunk my carnivorous palate into, period....so I'm gonna pay the $19 and try it out. Hell, I already pay $10 for a six pack of good beer, $14 for a four pack of better beer, $16 for a six pack of top of the line beer, and $3.89/gallon for gas, not to mention $5/gallon for gas on the lake...what's a measley 20 spot for a killer burger that friends say I won't be able to wholly ingest?
indycoyote
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 403
Joined: Tue May 02, 2006 9:48 am

Re: Graze

Postby NullDevice » Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:18 am

Short rib, chuck and freaking ribeye if I'm not mistaken. With caramelized onions, red wine reduction, served on a brioche.

The idea is that it's basically a steak dinner in sandwich form.

Pricy, yes, but I tried to replicate it at home, and even using non-FP meat it was not a cheap experience.
NullDevice
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 739
Joined: Fri May 02, 2003 2:53 pm
Location: Madison, WI

Re: Graze

Postby gargantua » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:23 am

Ducatista wrote:
gargantua wrote:I have a 10 year old car and 19 year old car, so I'm comfortable that I don't lay out money for things to be all "status-y".

That proves nothing. A Bentley and Bugatti, perhaps?


Nope, a 92 Integra and an 01 Accord. Not exactly shouting status, though I love 'em.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 4392
Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2002 1:30 pm
Location: Madison

Re: Graze

Postby Ducatista » Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:05 pm

gargantua wrote:Nope, a 92 Integra and an 01 Accord.

Respect.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 4356
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2004 12:31 pm
Location: 53703

Previous

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

moviesmusiceats
Select a Movie
Select a Theater


commentsViewedForum
  ISTHMUS FLICKR
Created with flickr badge.

Promotions Contact us Privacy Policy Jobs Newsletters RSS
Collapse Photo Bar