MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Wednesday, October 1, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 68.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Carol

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.

Re: Carol

Postby Remember_Me » Sun May 29, 2011 4:39 pm

I hope her ban is just temporary.

Considering her "body" of posts all over local forums and her diehard participation for her cause, it's understandable to make the occasional over-the-line post.

She should be judged on her long term efforts and contributions.

Not a few flagrant posts here and there.

Her passion and dedication to her casue is admirable... even if I think they're wrong.

Hopefully Jason will entertain a reinstatement of her account in the near future.

She can always be banned again.
Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Sun May 29, 2011 4:47 pm

Remember_Me wrote:Her passion and dedication to her casue is admirable... even if I think they're wrong.

Really? You think it's admirable to devote your life to championing a falsehood? Is it really admirable to promote junk science? Personally, I prefer to save my admiration for people who actually advance our knowledge, rather than just try to angrily shout down the facts.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mrak » Sun May 29, 2011 5:00 pm

Remember_Me wrote:She should be judged on her long term efforts and contributions.

I've got no problem with that.

Everything Wags wrote immediately above, and barking-mad, batshit insane to boot. Duly noted.
mrak
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Remember_Me » Mon May 30, 2011 2:30 am

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:
Really? You think it's admirable to devote your life to championing a falsehood?

I don't think the message she spouts is admirable.

I think her passion and dedication is.

Just like I said.
Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Mon May 30, 2011 4:00 am

Remember_Me wrote:I don't think the message she spouts is admirable.

Just like I said.

And just like I said, I don't understand admiring someone for being passionate about being wrong. To me, that's like saying you admire Ann Coulter for her passionate attacks on evolution. It makes no sense to me to admire someone for spreading lies and trying to dissuade others from being reasonable and accepting the truth.

I'm not knocking your position so much as failing to understand how you can find value in someone being dead wrong. Seems to me that admiring someone for trying to drag us backwards is like rooting for someone to lose a race.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon May 30, 2011 9:19 am

Carol is a joke. She has been on her crusade for decades and in that time she has attracted no one to her cause. A true army of one.

Periodically she goes completely overboard and needs a time out from the forum. I assume in a month or so she will be back, maybe as Carol AS.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Mon May 30, 2011 1:43 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Carol is a joke. She has been on her crusade for decades and in that time she has attracted no one to her cause. A true army of one.

Periodically she goes completely overboard and needs a time out from the forum. I assume in a month or so she will be back, maybe as Carol AS.

I always wondered what the "AS" meant in her previous forum handle. Do you know?
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon May 30, 2011 1:58 pm

She still posts at the madison.com forum. You can ask her there.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Mon May 30, 2011 2:01 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:She still posts at the madison.com forum. You can ask her there.

If that's the only way to find out ... some things are better left a mystery.
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Remember_Me » Mon May 30, 2011 3:52 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:
Remember_Me wrote:I don't think the message she spouts is admirable.

Just like I said.

And just like I said, I don't understand admiring someone for being passionate about being wrong. To me, that's like saying you admire Ann Coulter for her passionate attacks on evolution. It makes no sense to me to admire someone for spreading lies and trying to dissuade others from being reasonable and accepting the truth.

I'm not knocking your position so much as failing to understand how you can find value in someone being dead wrong. Seems to me that admiring someone for trying to drag us backwards is like rooting for someone to lose a race.

I'm sorry you're having difficulties understanding. It's not the person that is admirable. You keep citing certain people as examples. Is Hitler up next?

It's the passion and dedication itself that is admirable. Not necessarily the person and their message. It's unfortunate that it's being demonstrated by someone I don't agree with.

You keep arguing how the passion and dedication is being used by certain people you don't agree with. And I keep agreeing with you. I said I think she's wrong.

Still doesn't mean I can't respect the passion and dedication she has though.
Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon May 30, 2011 5:05 pm

The world (and the Internet) is populated by a lot of passionate extremists. Take this guy for example. Nothing to be admire there.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Mon May 30, 2011 7:29 pm

Peanutbutter wrote:Uncle Leaver has made threats that are far worse and much more violent.

I'm not sure this is true (feel free to dig through his old posts and prove it is, of course) but Leaver did have one of his old accounts deactivated for making what Jason considered over-the-top comments, which disproves your position quite handily.

It's also worth pointing out that if the policy on this Forum really was to ban people who disagree with the majority of us or Jason or some specific ideology (I've never been entirely clear what your position is), your continued presence here is a baffling anomaly.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Tue May 31, 2011 8:37 am

It's the passion and dedication itself that is admirable.

It's not passion it's delusional psychosis. It's not admirable. Carol needs to seek help.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby peripat » Tue May 31, 2011 9:51 am

The Westboro Church, the kkk, birthers, peta are all passionate and dedicated
peripat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Tue May 31, 2011 10:03 am

Remember_Me wrote:I'm sorry you're having difficulties understanding. It's not the person that is admirable. You keep citing certain people as examples. Is Hitler up next?

It's the passion and dedication itself that is admirable. Not necessarily the person and their message. It's unfortunate that it's being demonstrated by someone I don't agree with.

You keep arguing how the passion and dedication is being used by certain people you don't agree with. And I keep agreeing with you. I said I think she's wrong.

Still doesn't mean I can't respect the passion and dedication she has though.

R_M, do you know, or have you ever personally known someone who displays "passion" and "dedication" about a negative belief or endeavor? I do know someone like this, and I know that the motivation this person feels certainly does not come from the same warm, fuzzy place where "passion" and dedication" are born. "Fanaticism" and "target fixation" are better descriptors of the feeling which motivates this kind of behavior.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com