MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Tuesday, September 16, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 62.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Bike path crime is back

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Re: Bike path crime is back

Postby Galoot » Sun May 29, 2011 12:07 pm

Blues, that is just fucking ridiculous. You're laughable.

You sound like an idiot martial arts fan I knew in college. After a junior professor in the physics department was killed, the guy mouthed off outside the building to the effect of "see, if he had learned martial arts, this wouldn't have happened!"

But the prof was bludgeoned with a hammer while he was taking a leak in the mens' room. The guy walked in, saw him, and hit him over the head. There is nothing that anybody could have done in that situation, which is akin to this bike path situation.

That same idiot back in college got arrested later that year for going after some young teenagers with nunchucks. The kids had apparently been teasing him for going around in his martial arts uniform. He showed them, didn't he?

Now that we have CC, are we going to read in the news about Blues pulling his gun on some kids who teased him about his mohawk?
Galoot
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Sun May 29, 2011 12:58 pm

bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Sun May 29, 2011 1:53 pm

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Some Guy » Sun May 29, 2011 4:52 pm

CoffeeJones wrote:
Some Guy wrote:Bullshit. I've been in that scenario hundreds of times - with and without a gun. The people coming up behind me have almost always kept walking. The very few times they didn't, and I was carrying, it was never necessary to draw the weapon, but on one of those it was necessary to let it be seen. Out of the times it happened that I was not carrying, on two of those occasions, I would have drawn. On one of those a knife sliced through my coat, shirt, and across a few inches of my chest.

Really? Hundreds of times? What is it that makes you such a target? I've lived and worked in much larger cities and with much higher crime rates, and have walked through some of the worst neighborhoods in them at all hours of the day, and have never been threatened. Granted, I may just be lucky, but you must be extremely unlucky for this to have happened.

No.

I haven't been targeted by muggers hundreds of times; I've walked alone at night and had someone come up behind me hundreds of times. Most of those times it was just someone walking in the same place, in the same direction, walking faster than me, and thus getting close. That is why the people in question have almost always kept walking after I stopped and turned to see who was there - because they just happened to be going in the same direction. As I said, only very few times did any of those situations result in any kind of altercation, and the only time I suffered any injury - albiet a minor one - was a time that I was unarmed.
Some Guy
Forum Addict

Postby Some Guy » Sun May 29, 2011 4:58 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:He is just a bully who cries victim.

And you're just a cowardly lying douching who is obsessed with me.
Some Guy
Forum Addict

Postby Some Guy » Sun May 29, 2011 5:07 pm

Galoot wrote:Blues, that is just fucking ridiculous. You're laughable.

You sound like an idiot martial arts fan I knew in college. After a junior professor in the physics department was killed, the guy mouthed off outside the building to the effect of "see, if he had learned martial arts, this wouldn't have happened!"

But the prof was bludgeoned with a hammer while he was taking a leak in the mens' room. The guy walked in, saw him, and hit him over the head. There is nothing that anybody could have done in that situation, which is akin to this bike path situation.

That same idiot back in college got arrested later that year for going after some young teenagers with nunchucks. The kids had apparently been teasing him for going around in his martial arts uniform. He showed them, didn't he?

Now that we have CC, are we going to read in the news about Blues pulling his gun on some kids who teased him about his mohawk?

Fuck you. Standing at a urinal you wouldn't reasonably expect tobe attacked. Walking down an isolated path at night, you would reasonably expect to be attacked. If you stop and turn around to see who is there, it may not prevent you from being attacked, but it sure as hell will prevent you from being hit in the BACK of the fucking head. It also gives you a better opportunaty to surrender your wallet without getting hit or stabbed, or whatever they had planned. Most muggers aren't out to hurt anyone per se; they hurt you to incapaciatate you so they can rob you. Further, some of them just aren't brave enough to attack someone head on, so if they can't get you from behind, they look for another target.

If you haven't heard about me pulling my gun so far, why the fuck would CC make a difference?
Some Guy
Forum Addict

Postby Henry Vilas » Sun May 29, 2011 6:29 pm

A paranoid to boot.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Uncle Fester » Sun May 29, 2011 10:18 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:A paranoid to boot.

Says the guy who calls the cops on his neighbors if they don't shovel the snow off their walks fast enough.

Henry, not everyone is retired and living in a cushy neighborhood.
Uncle Fester
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon May 30, 2011 9:10 am

You mean when I used the city's report a problem site because a slum lord refused to shovel his walk next to a day care? I don't think the cops got involved.

Now how is that similar to always wanting to conceal a firearm when leaving the house? Do you do that?
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Uncle Fester » Mon May 30, 2011 4:37 pm

Me, no, I don't want to carry a handgun.

But I also don't think it's up to me, based on my circumstances and my situation, to tell someone else what they can or cannot do to defend themselves.

Some people live in bad neighborhoods. Others might have to walk home from a job late at night. Some of these people may have already been threatened, harassed, raped or robbed. They might have legitimate concerns about their safety and well being, the same way you do about an unshovelled sidewalk.

So who the hell are you to call people names, insult them, and decide what's best for their situations?
Uncle Fester
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon May 30, 2011 5:12 pm

Uncle Fester wrote: So who the hell are you to call people names, insult them, and decide what's best for their situations?

The Blue Guy and I have a history that goes way back. My insults are nothing compared to his explicit threats.

I've been to the mean streets of Port au Prince to the back alleys of Naples while in my youth. I never felt that I should have been packing. And I'm a half foot shorter than the Blue Guy.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dust Mite Rodeo » Mon May 30, 2011 5:15 pm

If you had a gun at your job you might get fired for that. Unless Fester is your boss.
Dust Mite Rodeo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Uncle Fester » Mon May 30, 2011 10:22 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:I've been to the mean streets of Port au Prince to the back alleys of Naples while in my youth. I never felt that I should have been packing. And I'm a half foot shorter than the Blue Guy.

That's your problem: you don't consider anyone but yourself or your own situation.

Not everyone is tough enough to defend themselves on the street. A lot of people who are tough, like a friend of mine who was a boxer and black belt in karate, think they are ready until they get jumped by five guys in a McDonalds who proceed to hit from behind and stomp him into the hospital.

What do you tell the waitress who works downtown and has to walk home at night? That she has nothing to worry about because you survived the mean streets of Port au Prince?
Uncle Fester
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dust Mite Rodeo » Tue May 31, 2011 6:35 am

Three more
http://www.wkow.com/Global/story.asp?S=14752443

Are the police too afraid of "profiling" that they can't confront possible suspects in the area?

Lets talk about bike-path crime rather than concealed carry or how much Henry, Blues and Fester dislike each other.
Dust Mite Rodeo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Galoot » Tue May 31, 2011 6:54 am

jeez, that sucks, three more incidents.

As for the profiling question, I doubt that the police can just randomly stop people who vaguely fit the description, and look for evidence that ties them to the robberies. I think it is much more likely that they'll put some plainclothes cops in that area, late at night.

Most of the incidents involve taking some kind of smart phone from the victim. Can smart phones be located by the cops, or does the "new owner" have to be using the GPS feature for that to work? I have no idea how those things work.

ETA: A quick search indicates that AT&T will tell you to go talk to Apple, and Apple will tell you to go talk to AT&T, and that you're VERY unlikely to trace your iPhone to find the thieves.
Galoot
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Town Vibe