MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, December 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 30.0° F  Light Snow
Collapse Photo Bar

Ride the Drive June 5

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

Ride the Drive June 5

Postby Shorty » Fri May 20, 2011 10:34 am

Looks like there is only one of these this year. Info is here:

http://www.cityofmadison.com/transporta ... ethedrive/

Sunday, June 5, 2011 | 10am - 3pm
RIDE THE DRIVE is FREE, open-to-the-public, family event, and a whole new way to experience our great city. For this event, we close down the streets to cars and open it up to bikers, walkers, roller bladers, and those out to share in the experience and fun atmosphere. The streets are temporarily closed to cars, but open to people. Along the route there will be activities, information booths, food vendors, and plenty of other ways to enjoy the city.
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Ride the Drive June 5

Postby rabble » Fri May 20, 2011 1:04 pm

I guess if you can't get Lance, there's no point to having another one.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:16 am

Just a reminder it's this Sunday 10am - 3pm. Soglin stupidly canceled the Fall one so this is your only chance.
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:28 am

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:42 am

I'm done with Soglin. Cancelled the Fall Ride the Drive? Bad for businesses? what a total fucking petty jerkoff. Hey Paul Soglin: FUCK YOU.
depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:13 am

Yes recall Soglin. Bring Dave back.

Stebben84 wrote:Beat you to it.

My thread was started first, May 20.
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:27 am

Shorty wrote:Yes recall Soglin. Bring Dave back.

Stebben84 wrote:Beat you to it.

My thread was started first, May 20.

My bad. Blerf.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:31 am

depinmad wrote:I'm done with Soglin. Cancelled the Fall Ride the Drive? Bad for businesses? what a total fucking petty jerkoff. Hey Paul Soglin: FUCK YOU.

Maybe it really IS bad for businesses? Would that matter to you?

Apparently Ride the Drive is the most important thing in the world. How, oh how, did we ever get by before it existed?
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:36 am

gargantua wrote:
depinmad wrote:I'm done with Soglin. Cancelled the Fall Ride the Drive? Bad for businesses? what a total fucking petty jerkoff. Hey Paul Soglin: FUCK YOU.

Maybe it really IS bad for businesses? Would that matter to you?

Apparently Ride the Drive is the most important thing in the world. How, oh how, did we ever get by before it existed?

You ask some really hard hitting questions. You've made me re-evaluate my statement. I apologize. I hang my head in shame. Thank you for showing me the light. I'm very sorry to all the affected local business owners. I apologize on behalf of Mayor Dave and all the families who have victimized you and will once again victimize you this weekend.
depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby peripat » Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:19 am

Its like a giant critical mass ride but instead of slowing 4 cars down you get to shut down and reroute hundreds(or thousands} of them for hours. Yipee
peripat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:26 pm

peripat wrote:Its like a giant critical mass ride but instead of slowing 4 cars down you get to shut down and reroute hundreds(or thousands} of them for hours. Yipee

Yeah, but this time you can give them fair warning and put up barriers, set up detours and traffic control, and generally prepare instead of making it a fun surprise for commuters.

I like the John Nolen ride best. Seems like more bikes this year which isn't too surprising I guess. But it also seemed like there was a larger percentage of people without helmets. Until this year it seemed like about 90 or 95 percent. This year, more like 75 or 80.

And more people on skates and those ski skate things, with poles that are sharp spears which are thrown out behind them with each push, and take up about two bikes worth of space. I saw a few near misses with kids on training wheels riding up behind them. Interesting issue. Do you ban them or try to educate everybody on the basics of using and avoiding very sharp pointy sticks? Or just ignore it and hope nobody will get hurt?
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:28 pm

Fun as always. There are some little bitty kids out there who are surprisingly good riders. I saw one little guy riding the smallest possibly human-sized bike who had already figured out how to jump the curb. His dad or grandpa, whoever was playing the shepherd role, was much amused at the little guy's obvious natural athleticism.

And I found out how the locks on the b-cycle bikes work. If you rent one of the bikes, it comes with a lock (attached to the basket some way) which has its own key you can take with you if you need to lock the bike up briefly. The guy explained the whole idea was to keep the bikes in use, not rent one and lock it somewhere the whole day while you ate or shopped, so the attached lock was meant as a convenience for quick stops. OK, I get it.

I would like to know what businesses are "suffering" because of this event. I'd think the added traffic at food and drink places would be obvious, and Ride the Drive could easily be promoted as part of a family weekend vacation that included other Madison fun like a zoo visit, the Childrens' Museum, and a hotel overnight. Add more booths, more tents, more vendors, and some music and street entertainers and you've got a full day of healthy fun. They already had a climbing wall set up on E. Wash and kids were trying it out.

Soglin ought to get out there and make an appearance. He may not be a spandex god, but Ride the Drive is totally for everybody (not just the few annoying show-off racers I saw today) and deserves its summertime schedule slot right up there with the canoe-portage event and Cows on the Concourse.

I could do without the ski-skate spear things too, though. Not for use in crowds, definitely not. Ride the Drive is more of an urban, slower event. There are plenty of other places and times to go fast.

The people on this pedal-it-yourself haywagon thing seemed to be having a blast. Beer may have been involved.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:17 pm

rabble wrote:Yeah, but this time you can give them fair warning and put up barriers, set up detours and traffic control, and generally prepare instead of making it a fun surprise for commuters.

After participating, I had to run some errands across town. I went from the east side to the west side through these horrible detours. I think it tacked on and extra minute or two.

There were signs up for over a week on John Nolen and E Wash. The rerouting was great and there were plenty of signs for those who are unfamiliar with the city. If anyone living here didn't know it was happening, then they have their head up their ass.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:11 pm

If I had to bet, I would guess the inconvenience to drivers and the benefits to local businesses are both overstated.
Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:27 pm

I am solidly on both sides of this issue. It looked to me that the bikers were having a lot of fun, and the traffic inconvienence wasn't so bad on a Sunday. On the other hand, I trust that the complaints from businesses must be legitimate or Soglin wouldn't have taken the position he did. So I vote present.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Sports, Recreation & Biking