MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, December 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 30.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

best burger in madison??

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Re: best burger in madison??

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:53 am

Matchstick fries from the Old Fashioned, with their tiger bleu aioli.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lukpac » Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:16 pm

Kovalic wrote:Best burger I've had recently was at the Blue Moon. But I don't eat there often enough to know if that was representative of their overall quality...

Can you get your burger cooked to order there? I went once several years ago, and my recollection is as long as you wanted medium-well, you'd be good. Unfortunately, I didn't. I haven't been in a rush to go back.

I've probably said the same thing in another thread, but my feeling is burgers really fall into two groups:

- "greasy burgers" - Usually on the smaller side, always cooked medium-well to well done (or farther), basically distinguished by toppings.

- "juicy burgers" - Usually larger (at least 1/3 #, up to 1/2 # or more), cooked to order (medium-rare, please) and may have good toppings, but can also stand up well plain. Bun and seasonings (if any) often come into play.

The former category honestly usually doesn't interest me a ton. One reason I can't figure out why 5 Guys gets so much love. What's the point of fresh meat if you press all of the juice out and cook it until it is well done? As far as I'm concerned, if the meat is crap (and/or poorly cooked), the burger as a whole follows.

Big thumbs up to Brothers Three. I've gotten a patty melt there a few times recently, and it has been delicious.

Dotty's...I've always found them to be decent, but nothing amazing.

Bub's is close to work, and I *want* to like them, but they are essentially a local version of 5 Guys. The burgers are only so-so, and while fresh sweet potato fries sound promising, they always seem to be kind of limp. And they are pretty expensive for what you get. I'll happily pay $10+ for a burger, fries and a drink if it is all really good, but I've never felt anything at Bub's is "really good".

They don't exist in Madison, and while I'm normally pretty anti-chain, I can't post in a burger thread without confessing my love for Fuddruckers. Great, freshly ground meat nicely seasoned on a freshly baked, buttered and toasted bun. Cooked to order in various different sizes. I've never felt the need to get anything on them - the meat and bun stand up on their own. I realize that almost reads like marketing speak, but I really do like them a lot.

I miss the Buffalo Melt from Alchemy a lot. I got the TinShack Smokehouse Burger right after they changed the menu, and wasn't that impressed. And it was impossible to eat.

Bob's Bad Breath Burger at Weary is pretty solid, although the last time I got it it was overcooked. Honestly I'll take the West of the Andes there most of the time.
lukpac
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:20 pm

Mickey's bar makes a pretty good burger. Can't say it's the best in Madison, but I've never been disappointing.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Parintachin » Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:20 pm

Haven't been able to mentally justify the cost of a Graze burger but the The Pub Burger at the Dane, with the grass-fed upgrade, has be surprisingly hard to beat.
Parintachin

Postby rabble » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:47 am

Stebben84 wrote:Mickey's bar makes a pretty good burger. Can't say it's the best in Madison, but I've never been disappointing.

Agreed. Cooked the way you want it and a good solid bun.

Now that I think about it I don't see much difference between a Bub's burger and Mickey's. But my few experiences in Bub's were many months ago and a little better than lukpac's.
Last edited by rabble on Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lukpac » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:50 am

rabble wrote:
Stebben84 wrote:Mickey's bar makes a pretty good burger. Can't say it's the best in Madison, but I've never been disappointing.

Now that I think about it I don't see much difference between a Bub's burger and Mickey's.

Eh? I guess I've never asked, but I don't think you can get a burger cooked to order at Bub's. Certainly nobody has ever asked me how I wanted it cooked.
lukpac
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:58 am

lukpac wrote:
rabble wrote:

Now that I think about it I don't see much difference between a Bub's burger and Mickey's.

Eh? I guess I've never asked, but I don't think you can get a burger cooked to order at Bub's. Certainly nobody has ever asked me how I wanted it cooked.

That's they way I remember it. The waitress said to write it on the slip of paper.

But like I put in my edit up there, that was way back last summer or fall, and I haven't been back since. Maybe I misremember.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lukpac » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:04 am

rabble wrote:That's they way I remember it. The waitress said to write it on the slip of paper.

But like I put in my edit up there, that was way back last summer or fall, and I haven't been back since. Maybe I misremember.

I guess I could try, but I've never been asked, nor do the slips have a place for that.

I thought the first time I went to Bub's it was pretty good. Since then, it has pretty much been "eh". Not bad for what it is, but it seems like they charge premium prices for food that really isn't premium. I was pretty excited when they opened and *want* to like them, but I've been underwhelmed.

Still more likely to go there than Full Of Bull, though.
lukpac
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews